Enhancing Audio Playback

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Enhancing Audio Playback

Post by MachineGhost »

These are the best things since sliced bread!

First up is DFX Audio Enhancer. This is designed for music where the low and high frequencies are thrown away resulting in a lossy compressed file, i.e. MP3, MP4, AAC. What it does is synthesize back the missing harmonics in real time so it makes compressed music sound less muddled and flat. In other words, it decompresses the compressed dynamic range (of compressed music files which has further compressed an already compressed 16-bit/44KHz source!). Perfect for streaming audio and compressed music files. Available for Windows or Android (built into a player): https://www.fxsound.com/

Next up is dealing with the highly annoying problem of different music sources being mastered at different volume levels. Encoding ReplayGain leveling data into extracted music files (it works on non-compressed .WAV's too) is one attempt resolve the issue, but it can't do anything about clipping and maintaining spectral balance when amplifying or de-amplifying. Enter Breakaway Audio Enhancer which will digitally remaster all music to a consistent volume level in real time: http://claessonedwards.com/index.php?op ... temid=1089

When you install DFX it will become the default playback device for the entire Windows system. Then in the DFX settings you just select Breakaway as the output source (turn Dynamic Boost off in DFX as that is inferior to Breakaway) and both will then be daisy chained. DFX is easily toggled on and off (no point using it for non-compressed music).
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Enhancing Audio Playback

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I never thought about it, but what kind of files does Youtube play, and is there a Chrome enhancer for them?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Kriegsspiel wrote:I never thought about it, but what kind of files does Youtube play, and is there a Chrome enhancer for them?
They now play AAC but older videos used a different codec (VP3 from Onplay?). I don't think a browser plugin is gonna pull off the expanded compression trick. It needs more way processing power than that!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Can you put that into non-nerd for me?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Kriegsspiel wrote:Can you put that into non-nerd for me?
What Youtube and Chromium uses is irrelevant. Install DFX and Breakaway which are system applications.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

MachineGhost wrote:
What Youtube and Chromium uses is irrelevant. Install DFX and Breakaway which are system applications.
What the fuck are system applications?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
What the fuck are system applications?
"System" as in operating system. They will manage all of your system's audio streams. Make sense? Here is Breakaway running in the toolbar with the main window open.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I HAVE A CHROMEBOOK WHY ARE YOU TORMENTING ME
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

MG, are you still running Windows XP!?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote:MG, are you still running Windows XP!?
No, I'm in 7. I like the Classic Windows theme to keep it running at top speed.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Kriegsspiel wrote:I HAVE A CHROMEBOOK WHY ARE YOU TORMENTING ME
Get a REAL computer, man!!! :P

I enjoy your contributions here, though, so if that's what it takes...

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

It's a bird, its a plane, no its...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24 ... -turntable