General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP on SIX: Implementation / MidTerm to ShortTerm Bonds ratio

Post by Vil » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:49 am

Dear all,

First of all - Happy New Year to everyone, let 2020 be healthy and wealthy for you :)

The time has come for me to write my first message here. It has been a long time since I read Craig's nice book (and quite some other stuff, which I do not really pretend to fully understand..), and I really liked the solid base of (almost) all of it. While, normally, it may sound a bit silly on asking for exact ETFs to be used for PP portfolio implementation, being an EU investor (from a small country named Bulgaria) might give me some sort of excuse. So that's exactly what I am gonna do. A bit of background on my personal investment experience - I am already invested in portfolio that might be considered as a mix between Bogglehead's EU and PP/GB (tickers are from Xetra/Deutsche Borse): 30% EUNL (iShares Core MSCI World), 50% DBZB (xTrackers Global Governmennt Bonds EUR hedged), 20% GBSE (WisdomTree Physical Gold EUR hedged).
Now, I do have the ability to do a (hopefully) long-term investment on SIX (the Swiss trade market) with a good enough amount of fresh savings. I plan to have full USD exposure with my investment on SIX, FYI: my domestic currency (BGN) is bound to EUR, approx.1:2. One more thing - due to variety of reasons behind, I want to stick with Accumulating funds, rather than Distributing. One possible implementation of PP that I came with is (tickers are for SIX):
25% XD9U (xTrackers MSCI USA)
X% CSBGU3 (iShares USD Treasury Bond 1-3 yrs)
Y% CSBGU0 (iShares USD Treasury Bond 7-10 yrs)
25% CSGOLD (iShares Gold(CH))

As there is limited number of ETFs available on SIX which apply to the above mentioned restrictions, I'd ask you for :
- what X% and Y% might be in order to simulate the behavior of PP, given there are no 20+ yrs treasury bond ETFs available - how does X - 10%, Y - 40% sound to you ?
- any other PP implementation ideas for the SIX market

Thanks in advance,
Vil
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP on SIX: Implementation / MidTerm to ShortTerm Bonds ratio

Post by ochotona » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:53 am

Hi Vil, this topic comes up frequently, which is bond "barbell" (cash + long term US Treasuries) versus bond "bullet" (US 10 year Treasury). I think people who can only implement a bullet usually do 25% gold, 25% stocks, 50% 10-year bullet.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP on SIX: Implementation / MidTerm to ShortTerm Bonds ratio

Post by Vil » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:26 am

Thanks Ochotona. Understood, I will need the (as they say) 'lifting power of long term bonds', when the time comes. It looks the mid-term alone itself is better than another mix with short-terms.