Fed Going Nuclear - Will the PP get radiation poisoning?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fed Going Nuclear - Will the PP get radiation poisoning?

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:49 pm
And if the Treasury Department, at the time of settling up, were to simply say "Not this time. . ." Then what?
I suspect that would just print more Federal Reserve Notes to cover their losses. Then without being tied to the Fed, they could print up all the money they wanted for themselves, friends, families, cocaine, fancy pocket-protectors... whatever they are into I guess?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:30 pm
pmward wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:25 pm
A couple things. First, if you invest in a foreign asset, and their currency appreciates, your asset appreciates by the currency spread. There is no "hidden tax" here.
The underlying foreign asset may appreciate in price by the currency spread, but not in your actual value, no?

Let's say that the value of Garbage Pale Kids Cards are stable. The price would go up over time due to targeting inflation.

2025: Value of my Garbage Pale Kids collection = $2500 USD, $2600 CAD
2026: Value of my Garbage Pale Kids collection = $3000 USD, $2700 CAD
2027: Value of my Garbage Pale Kids collection = $3500 USD, $2800 CAD

You can see that the value of the USD and CAD has gotten diluted compared to the value of Garbage Pale Kids Cards. However, CAD was diluted less because their currency appreciated in value again the USD.

If I bought it in 2025 and sold it in 2027 in America, I would pay tax on the $1,000 gain. If I bought it in Canada and sold it in Canada I would only pay on a $200 gain. But because I am an american, I owe additional tax on the currency side of the transaction since the currency fluctuation between 1:1.04 and 1:1.25

In other words, in 2025, I would have converted my USD to CAD to purchase the cards paying $2600 CAD. Then sold them 2 years later for a $200 CAD gain. But I still need to convert those $2800 CAD back to USD. I would pay the tax on the appreciation of the CAD to the USD.

Meanwhile, if I was simply a Canadian, I would have just paid tax on the $200 gain.

Now replace those cards with an ounce of gold.

Am I missing something here?
The value of the tax is the same as well.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm imagining a situation where the Treasury refuses to take any more of the Fed's garbage and begins issuing its own currency. Essentially shoots the Fed dead, leaving the individual banks holding the bag. FDIC would be used to make depositors whole, but the banks would be left hanging. Is this a credible scenario?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm imagining a situation where the Treasury refuses to take any more of the Fed's garbage and begins issuing its own currency. Essentially shoots the Fed dead, leaving the individual banks holding the bag. FDIC would be used to make depositors whole, but the banks would be left hanging. Is this a credible scenario?
Why on earth would the right hand shoot the left hand? It makes no sense.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:31 pm

pmward wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
pmward wrote:
A couple things. First, if you invest in a foreign asset, and their currency appreciates, your asset appreciates by the currency spread. There is no "hidden tax" here.
The underlying foreign asset may appreciate in price by the currency spread, but not in your actual value, no?

Let's say that the value of Garbage Pale Kids Cards are stable. The price would go up over time due to targeting inflation.

You can see that the value of the USD and CAD has gotten diluted compared to the value of Garbage Pale Kids Cards. However, CAD was diluted less because their currency appreciated in value again the USD.

If I bought it in 2025 and sold it in 2027 in America, I would pay tax on the $1,000 gain. If I bought it in Canada and sold it in Canada I would only pay on a $200 gain. But because I am an american, I owe additional tax on the currency side of the transaction since the currency fluctuation between 1:1.04 and 1:1.25

In other words, in 2025, I would have converted my USD to CAD to purchase the cards paying $2600 CAD. Then sold them 2 years later for a $200 CAD gain. But I still need to convert those $2800 CAD back to USD. I would pay the tax on the appreciation of the CAD to the USD.

Meanwhile, if I was simply a Canadian, I would have just paid tax on the $200 gain.

How so?

For simplicity imagine a 100% tax rate paid. An American $2500 USD card became worth only $3500 USD card (again, the value of the card is stable... the price change is due to inflation). Imagine if they ripped a piece of your card off to cover the taxes. An American would have 29% of their card ripped off to taxes. The Canadian only lost 7% of his card. The American cannot transact in a foreign currency without being exposed to additional taxes.

At the end of the day the Canadian operating in Canadian Dollars has 93% of his card. The American using USD has 61% of his card.

If the American used Canadian Dollars, he would pay tax on the currency gain and the Canadian inflation increase. He would still end up with a lot less than the Canadian that had 93% of his card left.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm
Maddy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:49 pm
And if the Treasury Department, at the time of settling up, were to simply say "Not this time. . ." Then what?
I suspect that would just print more Federal Reserve Notes to cover their losses. Then without being tied to the Fed, they could print up all the money they wanted for themselves, friends, families, cocaine, fancy pocket-protectors... whatever they are into I guess?
First off Hal I like the dog in your Avatar
Next,The Fed has been adding to it's Balance sheet for a LONG time.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WALCL
Then they can just Monetize the Debt, when they Can not or Will not run off the excesses from the Fed's Balance Sheet.
https://www.peakprosperity.com/the-fede ... g-us-debt/
Some people may think this is a Good, Some people may think not so good.
With the Dollar being the Reserve Currency the Fed will Print Money out of the air to provide the Liquidity the Dollar starved world needs.
So Yes, They are Printing to Purchase everything possible.
So why not purchase Short and Long Dated Treasury and control the whole Yield Curve aka YCC just like Japan.
Well guess what.

So how did the FED get into this MESS?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:31 pm
pmward wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
pmward wrote:

How so?

For simplicity imagine a 100% tax rate paid. An American $2500 USD card became worth only $3500 USD card (again, the value of the card is stable... the price change is due to inflation). Imagine if they ripped a piece of your card off to cover the taxes. An American would have 29% of their card ripped off to taxes. The Canadian only lost 7% of his card. The American cannot transact in a foreign currency without being exposed to additional taxes.

At the end of the day the Canadian operating in Canadian Dollars has 93% of his card. The American using USD has 61% of his card.

If the American used Canadian Dollars, he would pay tax on the currency gain and the Canadian inflation increase. He would still end up with a lot less than the Canadian that had 93% of his card left.
You're looking at the wrong thing. Your same argument could be made about someone in the U.S. holding TIPS. Why would someone hold TIPS and pay this "hidden tax"? Because it's better than not. Would you rather take the currency appreciation and pay tax on it, or take the currency loss straight up? Why even bother with investing in assets that appreciate if you don't want to pay tax on the price increase? In an inflationary period in the U.S. (1970s, and in smaller doses the early 2000s) foreign always out performed U.S. stocks for a U.S. investor. Most of the difference between the two was the currency spread. If you don't want to pay capitol gains tax, don't invest. Keep your cash under your mattress. You'll see real quick which tax is bigger, inflation or capitol gains.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm

pmward wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:31 pm
pmward wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
pmward wrote:

How so?

You're looking at the wrong thing. Your same argument could be made about someone in the U.S. holding TIPS. Why would someone hold TIPS and pay this "hidden tax"? Because it's better than not. Would you rather take the currency appreciation and pay tax on it, or take the currency loss straight up? Why even bother with investing in assets that appreciate if you don't want to pay tax on the price increase? In an inflationary period in the U.S. (1970s, and in smaller doses the early 2000s) foreign always out performed U.S. stocks for a U.S. investor. Most of the difference between the two was the currency spread. If you don't want to pay capitol gains tax, don't invest. Keep your cash under your mattress. You'll see real quick which tax is bigger, inflation or capitol gains.
I think you may have missed my original point. I am not arguing that being invested in an appreciating asset is better than not. Of course it is.

The original point was that moving to another country (i.e. renouncing your Uncle Sam) seemed to be the only way someone could avoid the bullet. Whatever toxic assets are on the feds sheet may likely be the liability now of every taxpayer.

As long as you are a citizen, you (and your children) are going to take a hit.

Unless....

WE INVADE CANADA!
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm

I think you may have missed my original point. I am not arguing that being invested in an appreciating asset is better than not. Of course it is.

The original point was that moving to another country (i.e. renouncing your Uncle Sam) seemed to be the only way someone could avoid the bullet. Whatever toxic assets are on the feds sheet may likely be the liability now of every taxpayer.

As long as you are a citizen, you (and your children) are going to take a hit.

Unless....

WE INVADE CANADA!
Haha. Well, the Fed is not acting in isolation. The whole world is doing the same thing. The last 12 years we have been stuck in a deflationary spiral. All the liquidity they've supplied was not even enough to average 2% inflation. Eventually the inflation will come back. But when that happens, will there be anywhere to hide? Or will it be a global inflationary spiral? Obviously, there will be some countries better than others. Either way, the PP will do just fine. Matter of fact, the PP should do better in inflation than in deflation, especially if it is inflation with growth (i.e. not stagflation) as then you would have 2 assets returning above inflation, and 1 keeping pace.
stpeter

Post by stpeter » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm
It makes me wonder if the PP could hold up to a situation where the US is steadily diluted out of being the world reserve currency while the long-term debt cycle comes to an end.
What's your prediction on which currency will replace the U.S. dollar?

Euro? The euro area economy is even weaker than that in the U.S.

Yuan? The Chinese government hasn't even been able to guarantee convertibility between the external yuan and the internal renminbi, and as I understand it very little international commerce is denominated in yuan.

Any other candidates?

I don't disagree with some of your concerns, but an awful lot would need to happen for the dollar to lose its reserve currency status.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Haha. Well, the Fed is not acting in isolation. The whole world is doing the same thing. The last 12 years we have been stuck in a deflationary spiral. All the liquidity they've supplied was not even enough to average 2% inflation. Eventually the inflation will come back. But when that happens, will there be anywhere to hide? Or will it be a global inflationary spiral? Obviously, there will be some countries better than others. Either way, the PP will do just fine. Matter of fact, the PP should do better in inflation than in deflation, especially if it is inflation with growth (i.e. not stagflation) as then you would have 2 assets returning above inflation, and 1 keeping pace.
You seem to accept the official inflation numbers at face value, I simply do not. Hedonics and geometric weighting grossly alter the real figures and are the equivalent of outright fraud. I think the PP just barely gets above REAL INFLATION. This is my concern. I doubt in the future it will keep up. But if you believe in the 2% inflation rate, I can see why you do not think it would be a problem. You still see meat on the bone, I fear the bone has already been sucked clean.
What's your prediction on which currency will replace the U.S. dollar?
I don't think I am really qualified to answer that. But I doubt the world would be dumb enough to just nominate a single country again after the US abused it so badly.

I would assume the world would get together and decide on something that looks like the IMF's SDR valuation.

An example:

Currency / Weight

Chinese yuan 10.92%
Euro 30.93%
Japanese yen 8.33%
UK Pound 8.09%
US Dollar 41.73%
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

You seem to accept the official inflation numbers at face value, I simply do not. Hedonics and geometric weighting grossly alter the real figures and are the equivalent of outright fraud. I think the PP just barely gets above REAL INFLATION. This is my concern. I doubt in the future it will keep up. But if you believe in the 2% inflation rate, I can see why you do not think it would be a problem. You still see meat on the bone, I fear the bone has already been sucked clean.
Which inflation numbers do you suggest we use? What is your preferred measure of inflation if you think the CPI is off by circa 5% per year and has been for a while?
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 am

ahhrunforthehills,

I don't disagree with your concerns. But one point that might bring you some "comfort" (which sounds odd to say it, as I'm an anti-imperialist) is that the USA is basically the world police. The USA is the only country with military within arms-reach, basically, of every other country in the world.

Yes, that could change. But, for now, that's true. I suspect that's another factor that helps keep the US Dollar as the world's currency.

Also, and I'm anti-violence (though I do own a gun - I can discuss more on that some time), the US citizenry has a lot of guns. This would likely minimize the possibility of some other country forcefully taking control of things here.

Final thoughts...correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ron Paul suggested in the past that perhaps the US could/should consider defaulting on its debt, "take its medicine", and "move on"? What would the result of that be?
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:06 am

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 am

Final thoughts...correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ron Paul suggested in the past that perhaps the US could/should consider defaulting on its debt, "take its medicine", and "move on"? What would the result of that be?
Nothing good. It would make 2008-09 look like a picnic in the park by comparison.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 am

D1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:06 am
Nothing good. It would make 2008-09 look like a picnic in the park by comparison.
Can you elaborate? Would anyone / certain holdings be in a particularly bad/good position?
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 am

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 am
D1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:06 am
Can you elaborate? Would anyone / certain holdings be in a particularly bad/good position?
Yes. At least in 2008 the financial system didn't totally come apart (banks still functioned, money transfers still happened, ATMs still worked, the SIPC and FDIC were still functional and doing their jobs, etc). Now imagine what would happen if:

A. The issuer of the world's reserve currency defaulted on its debt (not because it couldn't pay it but simply because it up and said "screw this, I'm not paying" like some 3rd world tinpot banana republic), and,

B. The assets that people thought were the "safest and soundest" in the world suddenly became worthless pieces of paper (and/or worthless digital 1s and 0s).

US Treasuries pretty much underlie the world's financial system. The T-bill rate literally IS the "risk-free rate". Banks own huge quantities of explicitly Federally backed paper (T-bills/bonds/notes, plus GNMAs, plus agency securities) plus huge amounts of implicitly Federally-backed paper (FNMAs, mostly). If the government defaults on all these, the US (and much of the rest of the world's) financial system turns effectively to ashes in 2-3 days (at most). Also, what do you think will happen when the gov't defaults on its obligations and suddenly the FDIC/SIPC's "full faith and credit of the US government" backing bank deposits becomes no more of a credible promise than "the full faith and credit of you ne'er-do-well cousin Leroy who swears THIS time he'll pay you back if you lend him that $100, I promise"? The mother of all bank runs...which banks can't meet because they can't sell their Treasury/agency holdings (or almost anything else they invested in/hold as loans) on the open market for nearly anything because those holdings are now worth as little (or less) than CCC rated junk bonds. On top of this, the money markets will seize up because people will figure "if you can't even trust Uncle Sam, who CAN you trust?" and no one will be willing to lend short-term money to or buy commercial paper (or short-term repo paper) from companies (there was a run on money-market funds in 2008 which the Federal government stopped by agreeing to backstop said funds....the Federal government can't agree to backstop such funds, though, when it itself just defaulted on its own debt and no one would trust its backstop any further than they could spit); this would within a week or two lead to a bankruptcy or failure of probably a third or more of major companies (which through classic demand-side domino effects would in turn lead to failure of dozens more each week after that).

It would likely just get worse from there. Think 2008 several times over. Think 1929-1933. Think of the collapse of Russian GDP-per-capita and social indicators from 1990 to 1998 as the entire Soviet command economy had to start from scratch into a free-market one. Now think of something just as bad if not worse.

Trust me....you don't want what is considered to be the issuer of the ultimate safe and secure investment to default on its debt. Any problem we have now it would just make worse at LEAST for the next 5-10 years after the default (and likely for far longer than that).
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:09 am

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 am
Would anyone / certain holdings be in a particularly bad/good position?
If I was trying to be wry and funny I'd say beans, bullets, band-aids, Bibles, and bunkers....LOL.

But to seriously answer your question:

Gold would likely soar but good luck finding a way to sell any large quantity of your now much-appreciated in value gold holdings to meet your expenses....what with no functional banking system and all.

VIX futures (and ETF/ETN products based on them) would shoot to the moon as well....but good luck cashing in on this when your brokerage account with said investments in them no longer exists because the custodian went under and the SIPC no longer backs anything. Go ahead and get in line with the other unsecured creditors of whatever brokerage firm you were using...maybe if you're lucky you'll get--in a few years-- five or the cents on the dollar for the money you had in your account.

Credit default swaps on government debt--and almost any other debt--would skyrocket in value but see as above for VIX futures...plus, even if your brokerage or bank somehow magically survived, good luck enforcing any CDS contract against your likely now bankrupt and broke counterparty; you can't squeeze blood from a stone.

Pretty much any investment you don't own directly and that doesn't have an immediate productive non-monetary value (say a personally owned small business, or a home to live in, or farmland to grow food) would be all but useless in the immediate aftermath of such a default.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm

From The Aleph Blog.
Too Much Debt
Posted on 24 March 2020 by David Merkel

Photo Credit: Steve Rotman || As Simon and Garfunkel sang, “The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls…”

Debt-based economies are unstable. Economies with a lot of short-term debt are more unstable. The Fed is like Johnny One-Note, or Fat Freddie with a hammer. They only know one tool, and it will solve all problems.

Are there problems from too much debt? More debt will solve the problem. Shift debts from the private to the public sector. Don’t let the private market solve this on its own.

Though the bed debt is not in the same place as the last crisis, we are once again trying to play favorites through the Federal Reserve and rescue entities that took too much risk.

My view is let them fail. The whole system is not at risk, and the COVID-19 crisis will pass in two weeks. The great risk is not from the disease, but from the ham-handed response from policymakers who are short-sighted, and highly risk averse to the point of not wanting to cross the street for fear of dying.

Have we become like the Chinese, who bail out their banks and non-banks regularly? Who can’t bear to see any significant institution fail?

(Yes, I know they are getting more willing to see entities fail in China, but why are we getting less that way in the US? Let market discipline teach companies to not have so much debt.)

Here are three things to consider:

Bond ETFs Flash Warning Signs of Growing Mismatch — The Fed now think its purview extends to managing the discounts of bond ETFs? Let the system work, and let profit seeking institutions and individuals benefit from artificially high yields. Let insurance companies do what I did: purchase a cheap package of bonds in an ETF, and convert it into the constituent bonds, and sell those that you don’t want for a profit. (Losses from ETFs premiums and discounts are normal, and it is why the dollar weighted returns are lower than the time-weighted returns.)
The same applies to repo markets. As I have said before, the accounting rules need to be changed. Repo transactions should not be treated as a short-term asset, but as a long asset with a short-term liability, because that is what it is. With Residential Mortgage-Backed SecurIties in trouble, the market should be allowed to fail, to teach those who take too much risk to not do that. This failure will not cascade.
The same applies to the crony of Donald Trump — Tom Barrack. He pleads his own interest, seeking for the Fed or the Treasury to bail him out, and those who are like him. Let him fail, and those who are like him.

Market participants need to know that they are responsible for their own actions, particularly in a small and short-lived crisis as this one. COVID-19 as a systemic crisis will be gone within weeks.

My statement to all of those listening is “When will we set up a more rational system that discourages debt?” We could made dividends tax-exempt, and deny interest deductions for non-financial corporations, including financial subsidiaries of non-financial corporations. Of course we would grandfather prior obligations.

Are we going to wait for the grand crisis, where the Fed will continue to extend credit amid roaring inflation, or where extend no credit amid a tanking economy? This is what eventually faces us — there is no free lunch. The Fed can’t create prosperity via loose monetary policy, and Congress cannot create prosperity via loose fiscal policy.

The bills eventually come due. The USA might get the bill last after the failure of China, Japan, and the EU, but it will eventually get the bill.

As such, consider what you will do as governments can’t deal with the economic and political costs of financing the losses of the financial system.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Has anyone here given any great thought to hard assets other than metals and real estate? 22LR seems like a pretty solid, easily liquidated choice. What else?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Maddy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm
Has anyone here given any great thought to hard assets other than metals and real estate? 22LR seems like a pretty solid, easily liquidated choice. What else?
Eventually oil has to go back up. It cannot stay at $20 forever. Oil is not something to buy and hold forever though. It's more of a VP speculation.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Maddy wrote:
Garlic is very easy to grow and stores well. I read that something like 80% of the worlds' garlic was grown in China.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Garlic is very easy to grow and stores well
I tried once and failed -- thanks for making me feel bad! :P

Not sure what happened, but it grew a green shoot up, but didn't actually grow the garlic cloves. Haven't tried since!
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:50 pm

Maddy wrote:
Maybe 10/20 acres with chickens,cows in a low tax county.
With good neighbors
Wyoming sounds good, but it's cold.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 pm

drumminj wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Garlic is very easy to grow and stores well
I tried once and failed -- thanks for making me feel bad! :P

Not sure what happened, but it grew a green shoot up, but didn't actually grow the garlic cloves. Haven't tried since!
HAH. Maybe you just didn't let them finish developing? You have to wait until the leaves turn brown and tip over, usually in early summer.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm

The most successful garlic I ever planted was under a gutter. It was huge.
RIP Marcello Gandini