PP Five years out?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP Five years out?

Post by bedraggled » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 am

With the possibility of negative interest rates ahead, might the PP deliver a CAGR of 3% in the next 5 years? Does this sound reasonable?

And, yes, I know we cannot predict the future.

Thanks.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Five years out?

Post by jalanlong » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 am
With the possibility of negative interest rates ahead, might the PP deliver a CAGR of 3% in the next 5 years? Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.
As an addition to that question, I would like to know what is the minimum return most people would accept on the PP (or any portfolio) before deciding to just place all their funds in a "high" rate savings account. Certainly at some point the volatility, counterparty risk and/or just general time consumed by managing a portfolio is no longer compensated enough to make the portfolio worth it vs a simple, basic insured savings account (or IBonds or what have you).
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am
As an addition to that question, I would like to know what is the minimum return most people would accept on the PP (or any portfolio) before deciding to just place all their funds in a "high" rate savings account. Certainly at some point the volatility, counterparty risk and/or just general time consumed by managing a portfolio is no longer compensated enough to make the portfolio worth it vs a simple, basic insured savings account (or IBonds or what have you).
I have no idea what the future holds, but I imagine that the conditions that make the PP undesirable would also beat down interest rates on savings accounts just as badly. High returns in a savings account (compared to safe treasury rates) are generally a sign that there's more risk there than you realize.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:13 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks.
3% gross, or real?
Probably the same number, lol.

It sounds reasonable but conservative. If you could lock that deal in, would you?
I think I'd take 2% real if I could lock it in.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm

3% real is what I meant. Can we dare assume 3% real, averaged over the next 5 years? 2% would be ok, too.

I would like to think the PP could handle negative rates and float along giving better than 0.1% on a bank savings account. Therefore 2% real would be ok, too.

That 1966-1981 era may be upon us or maybe the time of Japan since 1990.

Your thoughts, please.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm
3% real is what I meant. Can we dare assume 3% real, averaged over the next 5 years? 2% would be ok, too.

I would like to think the PP could handle negative rates and float along giving better than 0.1% on a bank savings account. Therefore 2% real would be ok, too.

Your thoughts, please.
You can go to Tyler's website and look at how the PP performed for a Japanese investor. It really didn't do all that bad considering...
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks, pmward. I will do that.

Cheers.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:55 am

pmward wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm
bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Your thoughts, please.
You can go to Tyler's website and look at how the PP performed for a Japanese investor. It really didn't do all that bad considering...
if you were in japan and just bought equity markets in other parts of the world you did okay ... everyone assumes you only bought that countries market.