General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

New Permanent Portfolio book: "Investing Equanimity"

Post by blue_ruin17 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:34 pm

"Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio"

I decided to write this book because the only way to truly satisfy my fascination with the concept of the Permanent Portfolio was to just write a book about it and "get it out of my system".

I wrote it in such a manner that it is accessible to someone who has stumbled upon this mysterious "Permanent Portfolio" machine for the first time; we start from absolute first principles and build from there. However, I also wrote with Permanent Portfolio veterans in mind (in other words, Gyroscopic folks), because I think there is a lot to be explored regarding the deeper philosophy of this idea, even if you are extremely knowledge concerning the mechanics of the strategy.

Take a look at the Table of Contents on Amazon and check out if it interests you. If it does, and you read it, please leave a review on Amazon, it would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by blue_ruin17 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAT PERPETUS PORTFOLIO DUM VOLVITUR ORBIS

Amazon: Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Permanent Portfolio book: "Equanimity Investing"

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm

Dude. What the F*%k.

This is the most awesome, out of nowhere, totally left field post I have ever seen on this forum. I just scanned the preview of the book, and it looks amazing. What's even more amazing is how someone who loves the PP so much doesn't post much on this forum. Like, really, where have you been all this time????

Incredible work. And from a fellow Canadian no less! I will be buying a copy for sure!
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm
Dude. What the F*%k.

This is the most awesome, out of nowhere, totally left field post I have ever seen on this forum. I just scanned the preview of the book, and it looks amazing. What's even more amazing is how someone who loves the PP so much doesn't post much on this forum. Like, really, where have you been all this time????

Incredible work. And from a fellow Canadian no less! I will be buying a copy for sure!
Ha! I know, it is pretty random isn't it? If you told me in 2014 when I first read Rowland and Lawson's book (which is the definitive Permanent Portfolio book, btw) that I'd end up writing my own, I wouldn't have believed it.

Where have I been? I joined the army literally a month after I created my account here, so there are periods of months at a time where I've been on courses or taskings, and for a little while I was pretty out of commission due to a training accident and subsequent surgery. I also wrote another book that I published last year, so that took up a lot of time as well. As well, last year I really started mentally organizing the concept of the Permanent Portfolio in my mind, but for me I "think" best with pen and paper. I guess posting here just wasn't cutting it for me, I have been so interested in the idea of the HBPP that I ultimately just had to write a book about it.

This forum was a huge influence for me, though. I included it as a "Recommended Resource".

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:18 am

now the problem is amazon shows 1 book lol ... but it does show kindell too.

i have seen in the past where it shows 1 new available but they actually have access to more
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:50 am

Hi Blue Ruin,

Hope you have fully recovered from your surgery.
The index looks interesting, especially the chapter called "Portfolio Monogamy" :D

May have to go to church and ask forgiveness from St Harry for letting my eyes fall upon the Bogleheads Forum.....
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:18 am

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:34 pm
"Equanimity Investing: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio"

I decided to write this book because the only way to truly satisfy my fascination with the concept of the Permanent Portfolio was to just write a book about it and "get it out of my system".

I wrote it in such a manner that it is accessible to someone who has stumbled upon this mysterious "Permanent Portfolio" machine for the first time; we start from absolute first principles and build from there. However, I also wrote with Permanent Portfolio veterans in mind (in other words, Gyroscopic folks), because I think there is a lot to be explored regarding the deeper philosophy of this idea, even if you are extremely knowledge concerning the mechanics of the strategy.

Take a look at the Table of Contents on Amazon and check out if it interests you. If it does, and you read it, please leave a review on Amazon, it would be greatly appreciated.
Just bought it! High possibilities that I may get it all read today!

Many thanks for writing it!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am

very cool O0
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 am

Way cool, and congratulations!

I'd like to point out to everyone that blue_ruin's other book looks pretty good as well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RV5QM1Y/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Permanent Portfolio book: "Investing Equanimity"

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Read the book this afternoon in essentially one sitting (aside from getting up to cut watermelon to eat while continuing to read).

I had no idea of its length so was surprised when it turned out to on the shorter side than the longer side.

As someone who has read so much in the forum plus Harry's Best Laid...and Craig and Tex's book (at least twice) there was not much new in it for me.

However. It was WELL worth reading. And, was fairly quick reading. I'd rate it as an excellent complement to Craig and Tex's book. The first phrase that comes to me to describe it is a phrase I've never prior used to describe any other personal finance book: "Inspirational personal finance".

It is a clear exhortation of why Permanent Portfolio IS the way to go and makes you want to accept the plan.

Unfortunately I have a work situation going on in which I've been discussing with two people via email. That led to while I was reading the book my mind continually being distracted by what I wanted to say in in response to each of their latest emails.

Therefore because it such a worthwhile book to read (and is a fast read) I will be rereading it with the next time hopefully binge able to give it my full concentrations with no mind distractions.

I'll close by saying that there were tons of clever stories comparing investing in the four components compared to putting "all your eggs in one basket". Overall, a well written book.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Read the book this afternoon in essentially one sitting (aside from getting up to cut watermelon to eat while continuing to read).
Vinny
Thanks for the initial reaction! I am very curious to see what people get out of the book. "Inspirational personal finance" is not a term or concept that I at all consciously considered when writing it, yet I think you really nailed my mentality on the head, actually. Look at my signature below: that is the spirit that I wanted to capture.
Xan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 am
I'd like to point out to everyone that blue_ruin's other book looks pretty good as well:
Thanks for the plug! It is a very different book; it certainly has nothing to do with investing. You can get a feel for what it is about by skimming through the Table of Contents, though.
May have to go to church and ask forgiveness from St Harry for letting my eyes fall upon the Bogleheads Forum.....
Blasphemy!

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 pm

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Vinny
Thanks for the initial reaction! I am very curious to see what people get out of the book. "Inspirational personal finance" is not a term or concept that I at all consciously considered when writing it, yet I think you really nailed my mentality on the head, actually. Look at my signature below: that is the spirit that I wanted to capture.

A long time ago I was told a church pastor was primarily one of three overall types - a preacher, a teacher, or a counselor.

For me the book was preaching (to the already converted in my case) and getting me fired up to never doubt but to fully embrace. That was backed up, though, with a fair amount of teaching (and well done in that aspect).

Vinny
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 pm
blue_ruin17 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Vinny

A long time ago I was told a church pastor was primarily one of three overall types - a preacher, a teacher, or a counselor.

For me the book was preaching (to the already converted in my case) and getting me fired up to never doubt but to fully embrace. That was backed up, though, with a fair amount of teaching (and well done in that aspect).

Vinny
That's an interesting observation for me because of something that happened a couple days ago:

My dad had just received one of the first copies of the book. He went golfing that day, and one of his golf buddies was telling him about how his son has been overwhelmed with intense anxiety regarding how to invest his (apparently not inconsiderable) savings, especially given recent market turbulence. The man's son is being told by some to stay in all cash and others to "buy the dip" and go all in on the S&P500. He is paralyzed because even making no decision is itself a decision.

As soon as my dad heard that, he told his buddy that he was going to give him my book to give to his son. The Permanent Portfolio is obviously perfectfor him.

When you say that the book is "preaching" about the Permanent Portfolio, well yes that was absolutely my intention because there are so many people whose lives would improved by the peace of mind afforded by the Permanent Portfolio. Yet, since it is so obscure and unorthodox, not many people realize that investing equanimity is even possible.

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:06 am

i ordered the printed version to read ...i much prefer books to the e-version despite the fact i i have to wait to receive it to read it .
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:06 am
i ordered the printed version to read ...i much prefer books to the e-version despite the fact i i have to wait to receive it to read it .
I have two criteria.

If it's just a general read book that I'm going to read once and that it is then I'm ordering a used version on Amazon because it's generally much cheaper than buying the Kindle version.

But if it is any type of book that I'm going to want "to study" and make notes from then I want the Kindle version for ease of excerpting those notes in electronic form. This book met that criteria.

Vinny
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 am

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 pm
When you say that the book is "preaching" about the Permanent Portfolio, well yes that was absolutely my intention because there are so many people whose lives would improved by the peace of mind afforded by the Permanent Portfolio. Yet, since it is so obscure and unorthodox, not many people realize that investing equanimity is even possible.
That's exactly why spreading the word about the benefits of asset allocation is so important. Great job!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:29 am

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 pm
blue_ruin17 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Vinny

Vinny
That's an interesting observation for me because of something that happened a couple days ago:

My dad had just received one of the first copies of the book. He went golfing that day, and one of his golf buddies was telling him about how his son has been overwhelmed with intense anxiety regarding how to invest his (apparently not inconsiderable) savings, especially given recent market turbulence. The man's son is being told by some to stay in all cash and others to "buy the dip" and go all in on the S&P500. He is paralyzed because even making no decision is itself a decision.

As soon as my dad heard that, he told his buddy that he was going to give him my book to give to his son. The Permanent Portfolio is obviously perfectfor him.

You "preached" extremely well which is why it was "inspirational" personal finance to me and why I will soon be again be rereading. It could be one of those books wherein I periodically reread just for the inspirational aspect of it.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am

Blue_ruin, it was amazing to get a peek at your story through this book! I just glanced at the free part on Amazon so far, but it is absolutely on my "to buy" list. It is beautifully written from what I've seen - many congratulations!

Post more often and btw tell us more about what inspired you to write this??
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 pm

sophie wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am
Post more often and btw tell us more about what inspired you to write this??
Well, I've been fascinated by the concept and philosophy of the Permanent Portfolio for years. I've thought a lot about it and accumulated countless pages of notes, reflections, and ideas regarding the topic. Eventually I had so much material that it actually wasn't a huge leap to organize those ideas into a book.

However, consolidating that jumble of disorganized ideas into a coherent, structured book forced me to really refine and clarify my understanding of the mechanics and philosophy of the Permanent Portfolio. It was the "ultimate" learning experience for me.

More than anything I just needed to "get it out of my system", though. I feel a sense of resolution now, as if I have "mastered" -- at least by my own standard -- an idea that I've been grappling with for years.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 am
Way cool, and congratulations!

it really does!
RIP Marcello Gandini
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:34 pm
"Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio"

HELLO,

when shall we stop following PERMANENT PORTFOLIO?

NEVER ?

WHY?

All the best my friend!

8)
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am

i made the mistake of wanting the book version . i still have not received it .
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 am

frugal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am
HELLO,

when shall we stop following PERMANENT PORTFOLIO?

NEVER ?

WHY?

All the best my friend!
My view is that the Permanent Portfolio was specifically designed to operate within the context of the post-1971 fiat currency/fractional reserve banking system. I maintain a very strong conviction in the viability of the Permanent Portfolio as long as the current financial paradigm persists. If the current financial system continues chugging along for the rest of my life, I will continue to entrust the essential core of my life savings to the Permanent Portfolio.

However, should the modern central banking system as we know it in some fashion radically evolve or otherwise fail or collapse, then it is possible (even probable) that the logic of the Permanent Portfolio would no longer apply. Just as the Permanent Portfolio doesn't really "make sense" before 1971 under the Bretton Woods system, it is likely that the Permanent Portfolio as we know it would no longer "make sense" in the context of whatever the next financial system happened to be.

I must emphasize that this is not a prediction, but also that it is not even the slightest source of pessimism or anxiety: in the event of a revolutionary change in the international financial order as we know it, Permanent Portfolio investors are better positioned than virtually any other to smoothly and successfully transfer their wealth into the next paradigm. The Permanent Portfolio was designed for such contingencies. This is a major theme of my book, specifically in regards to the concept of "capital survivability". I don't worry about this matter at all.

One caveat, though: there are certain extreme events that would lead me to consciously abandon the the Permanent Portfolio. For example, in the event of a clear and obvious hyperinflationary collapse, I'm not going to be rebalancing into an abyss; or if a political movement advocating the confiscation of privately owned capital were to gain serious traction, I would be quietly heading for the exits long before the main show begins. But I also do not worry about these matters at all. Such hypothetical events occur slowly enough that there is plenty of time to recognize which way the winds are blowing and to adjust course accordingly.
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am
Ya I ordered a copy for a friend in the U.S. last week and it still has not shipped...they are shipping very fast in Canada, though. Must be a lockdown related supply chain thing...if it makes you feel better though, I personally much prefer the paperback version. I don't like e-readers at all, from the perspective of being able to customize the way I want to format a book.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:28 pm

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am
Ya I ordered a copy for a friend in the U.S. last week and it still has not shipped...they are shipping very fast in Canada, though. Must be a lockdown related supply chain thing...if it makes you feel better though, I personally much prefer the paperback version. I don't like e-readers at all, from the perspective of being able to customize the way I want to format a book.
1. Everything seems to be moving much more slowly from Amazon.

2. The book read quite well on my Kindle paperweight

But I'm happy to read books in all forms - paper, on Kindle, on iPad, on iPad mini, on iTouch, on computer.

Vinny
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm

I tried cancelling ...now they said it shipped ...which is okay ,as long as I get it already
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm
I tried cancelling ...now they said it shipped ...which is okay ,as long as I get it already
I kept getting messages daily about how one shipment was delayed, delayed, delayed. Then finally it said it may have been lost and I could request a refund. But then it was delivered that day!

Vinny