General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP for smaller economies

Post by Hal »

Almost a one-size fits all PP.
Use local currency and World TSM & LT Bonds. (Hedged if possible)

For example,
https://www.betashares.com.au/fund/beta ... cy-hedged/
https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/ ... /?overview

Try it and see...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.53.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.53.53 pm.png (83.66 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.55.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.55.07 pm.png (110.77 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP for smaller economies

Post by Smith1776 »

The idea of a world PP is very intellectually enticing to me. (As people on this forum probably already know.)

There aren't a ton of good instruments for the world bond portion of portfolio here in Canada unfortunately.

I also toy with whether or not currency hedging in the gold allocation makes sense. This is probably a foreign concept to U.S. forum members here, but in Canada pretty much all of our gold funds have a currency hedged option. The hedged option delivers the returns of gold that U.S. investors experience but to Canadian investors.

I do wonder how an allocation of gold funds, each hedged to major currencies around the world would perform long-term. I'm highly inclined to say that it's definitely not worth the hassle, time, and expense. I also recognize that it may be self-defeating to link your gold to specific currencies. However, it is an interesting mental exercise.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

P.S. I forgot to add my obligatory "don't forget to factor tilt your equity" comment. So there it is. ;D
DITM
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm The idea of a world PP is very intellectually enticing to me. (As people on this forum probably already know.)

There aren't a ton of good instruments for the world bond portion of portfolio here in Canada unfortunately.

I also toy with whether or not currency hedging in the gold allocation makes sense. This is probably a foreign concept to U.S. forum members here, but in Canada pretty much all of our gold funds have a currency hedged option. The hedged option delivers the returns of gold that U.S. investors experience but to Canadian investors.

I do wonder how an allocation of gold funds, each hedged to major currencies around the world would perform long-term. I'm highly inclined to say that it's definitely not worth the hassle, time, and expense. I also recognize that it may be self-defeating to link your gold to specific currencies. However, it is an interesting mental exercise.
Looks like Vanguard read your mind....
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/instituti ... ex-etf.htm?

Personally, I see gold as "physical wealth" like farmland etc and the rest of the PP as "paper promises". So, I don't hedge my gold to any currency even though the option is there. Marc Fabers portfolio is 50% Physical (Gold/Farmland) and 50% Paper (Shares/Bonds-Cash)

Agree its an interesting mental exercise ;)

PS: https://www.blackrock.com/ca/individual ... rough=true
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

{ I banned the spammer and am deleting all the reported posts
- DS
}
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I am almost done seeing all 20 of this new person's messages.

Cannot understand why some dormant topics were chosen rather than all the active ones?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."