General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Another great article by Tyler

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 am

https://portfoliocharts.com/2020/10/28/ ... al-terror/

And as an aside, for Non-US readers, just consider a US-PP and replace the cash with your local currency.
Check out the Ulcer Index for your selection here ->https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/portfolio-matrix/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Another great article by Tyler

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:10 am

This person was quite busy! Joined and within 2 minutes had 20 posts in 20 different topics??!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:10 am
This person was quite busy! Joined and within 2 minutes had 20 posts in 20 different topics??!!!

Vinny
spam bot.. very efficient
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:37 am

I liked that approach of that article in methodically building up to the final "reveal" of the HBPP.

One suggestion I would have for anyone who read that article and who is kicking the tires on the HBPP is to also study the worst case scenarios for the HBPP in countries besides the US. The US HBPP has performed particularly well compared to certain other countries. It is important to consider that the HBPP has historically had deeper and longer lasting drawdowns than that chart of the US HBPP in the article depicts.
STAT PERPETUS PORTFOLIO DUM VOLVITUR ORBIS

Amazon: Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio
pors
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pors » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:10 am

Hal wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 am
https://portfoliocharts.com/2020/10/28/ ... al-terror/

And as an aside, for Non-US readers, just consider a US-PP and replace the cash with your local currency.
Check out the Ulcer Index for your selection here ->https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/portfolio-matrix/
Shouldn't the LTT part also be in your currency/zone? I remember something like that from the PP book?
US stocks is always a good idea I think.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:49 am

Welcome to the forum Pors. I see this is your first post. :)

Short answer to your query. Gold hedges US bonds better than bonds from other countries.

Let's follow Blue Ruins suggestion and run a simulation on portfolio charts. Pretend you are living in Spain
1. USA PP but with Spanish currency (cash) -> Ulcer Index = 6.6

2 PP with USA shares, but Spanish bonds and cash. (Note: Using 50% 10 year bonds as equivalent to 25% Cash, 25% LTT 20 year)
Ulcer Index is 9.0

Try Tylers site for different countries and allocations -> https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/

Edit: For completeness, A purely Spanish PP consisting of 25% Spanish Shares, 50% Spanish 10 year bonds plus gold has an Ulcer Index of, wait for it, 17.3 :o
Attachments
Pure Spanish PP.png
Pure Spanish PP.png (92.47 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Last edited by Hal on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:59 pm

25% Vanguard total world VTWAX
25% Long bonds (how long?) in currency X
25% Gold
25% Savings account in currency X

Anything wrong with this portfolio
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:27 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:59 pm
25% Vanguard total world VTWAX
25% Long bonds (how long?) in currency X
25% Gold
25% Savings account in currency X

Anything wrong with this portfolio
Some remarks from the perspective of the orthodox PP:

1. Domestic TSM is preferable to 100% international stocks. The PP is essentially designed to work within the context of an individual domestic economy. Having no domestic stock market exposure means that the PP may not "work" as advertised. The component assets of the portfolio are selected because they individually zig as the others zag in response to macroeconomic dynamics present in the domestic economy of your country. If the 25% of the portfolio that was selected because it is related to the condition of domestic economic expansion is actually exposed entirely to the international economy, then your portfolio is going to encounter "tracking error".

2. Long Bonds in the PP are traditionally 20-30 years.

3. Treasury Bills are the most optimal way to hold "cash", and it is mostly a matter of counterparty risk. With T-Bills, you are the legal owner of the most liquid cash-equivalent security in the world. With bank deposits however, "ownership" of your cash is actually a surprisingly nebulous matter... there is a reason why there are stories of Wall Street bankers in 2008 phoning their wives and telling them to pull as much cash out of the ATM as they could.
STAT PERPETUS PORTFOLIO DUM VOLVITUR ORBIS

Amazon: Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio
pors
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pors » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:19 am

Hal wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:49 am

Short answer to your query. Gold hedges US bonds better than bonds from other countries.

Let's follow Blue Ruins suggestion and run a simulation on portfolio charts. Pretend you are living in Spain

2 PP with USA shares, but Spanish bonds and cash. (Note: Using 50% 10 year bonds as equivalent to 25% Cash, 25% LTT 20 year)
Ulcer Index is 9.0

Try Tylers site for different countries and allocations -> https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/

Edit: For completeness, A purely Spanish PP consisting of 25% Spanish Shares, 50% Spanish 10 year bonds plus gold has an Ulcer Index of, wait for it, 17.3 :o
Thank you Hal!

I see that this might not work for Spain indeed, but being in the Eurozone they can choose to hold German bonds, which will improve things substantially, right?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 am

pors wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:19 am
Hal wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:49 am

Ulcer Index is 9.0

Thank you Hal!

I see that this might not work for Spain indeed, but being in the Eurozone they can choose to hold German bonds, which will improve things substantially, right?
Sure! Purely Spanish PP with German Bonds gives an Ulcer Index of 6.8.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:57 pm

100% domestic PP allocations can often fail in the historical data. (Fail in the sense of not living up to the pillars of "simple, safe, and stable".)

I usually point to Japan, but Hal's post makes me even more confident in my consistent recommendations of globally diversifying a PP and adding factors. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I just believe it so strongly. Diversification is a free lunch, and we should be trying to get as much of it as possible.

Maybe it breaks literal PP principles, but I think it perfectly adheres to the spirit of it: more diversification and an acceptance of our ignorance of the future.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:57 pm
100% domestic PP allocations can often fail in the historical data. (Fail in the sense of not living up to the pillars of "simple, safe, and stable".)

I usually point to Japan, but Hal's post makes me even more confident in my consistent recommendations of globally diversifying a PP and adding factors. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I just believe it so strongly. Diversification is a free lunch, and we should be trying to get as much of it as possible.

Maybe it breaks literal PP principles, but I think it perfectly adheres to the spirit of it: more diversification and an acceptance of our ignorance of the future.
Are you referring to non-US PPs, or all?
pors
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pors » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 am

Living in the EU is somewhat special I think, you can invest in EMU funds and diversify over quite a few countries and still stick to a single currency.