General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I'M OUT!

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm

Every time I see this thread title I think it’s a Seinfeld reference. :D
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:08 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm
O0 One of the finest episodes.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:08 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Now, THAT could really spice up this forum. A king of the castle competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zJHstzOoY

1:53 of the best comedy writing and acting.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:33 pm

barrett wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 am
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Now, THAT could really spice up this forum. A king of the castle competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zJHstzOoY

1:53 of the best comedy writing and acting.
We all pitch in an ounce of gold and the winner takes all! Honour system of course. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:03 pm

We don’t have enough women on the forum to take part.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:03 pm
We don’t have enough women on the forum to take part.
They’d have to pitch in 2 ounces of gold each as per Elaine. ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:31 pm

Yes! O0

Vinny, I moved your Amazon cell service post to the Signatures thread. 🚧
After all, we have to stay on track with regard to this important topic: Seinfeld O0
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:46 pm

Maddy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:54 am
Switching gears, surely if one believes American exceptionalism is coming to an end there are any number of portfolios one could choose to hedge against it. Holding only globally-diversified stocks, market cap weighted (e.g. a blend of 60:40 VTI:VEU or simple the all-world ETF VT) plus an appropriate amount of an unhedged global bond fund would be a minimalist way to do it
It’s kinda of funny that as much time as people spend trying to create and fine tune the perfect asset allocation, over the last 10 years a simple 50/50 Global Stock/Global Bond portfolio has almost exactly equaled the PP return. Yes it had some larger drawdowns but at the end of the day your portfolio $$ amount would have been almost identical in each portfolio.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:00 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:46 pm
Maddy wrote:
Switching gears, surely if one believes American exceptionalism is coming to an end there are any number of portfolios one could choose to hedge against it. Holding only globally-diversified stocks, market cap weighted (e.g. a blend of 60:40 VTI:VEU or simple the all-world ETF VT) plus an appropriate amount of an unhedged global bond fund would be a minimalist way to do it
It’s kinda of funny that as much time as people spend trying to create and fine tune the perfect asset allocation, over the last 10 years a simple 50/50 Global Stock/Global Bond portfolio has almost exactly equaled the PP return. Yes it had some larger drawdowns but at the end of the day your portfolio $$ amount would have been almost identical in each portfolio.
Yup, couldn't agree more. Set your asset allocation, walk away, and get on with your life.

It's one of the reasons why I've mentioned why I really like this forum. I think a lot of us have found investment equanimity to the point in which we discuss more fun things and social topics. We don't bother with interminable debates the way the Bogleheads do. One visit over there and you can just tell that the space is filled with nothing but hand wringing and the gnashing of teeth.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:43 pm

jalanlong wrote:

Maddy wrote:

Over what periods of time were these larger drawdowns?

A year? Multiple consecutive years?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:46 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:00 pm

jalanlong wrote:

Maddy wrote:

Yup, couldn't agree more. Set your asset allocation, walk away, and get on with your life.

It's one of the reasons why I've mentioned why I really like this forum. I think a lot of us have found investment equanimity to the point in which we discuss more fun things and social topics. We don't bother with interminable debates the way the Bogleheads do. One visit over there and you can just tell that the space is filled with nothing but hand wringing and the gnashing of teeth.

Maybe a true statement. Or maybe not.

I'm in the midst of deciding my next portfolio and as I disclosed in response elsewhere at this point I'm looking at:

60% - Golden Butterfly
40% - Half Treasuries / Half TIPS (with their terms yet to be decided, how much laddering, and so on)
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:50 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:43 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Maddy wrote:

From Jan to Sept of 2022 the 50/50 had almost a 20% drawdown. The PP was 16% DD during that period. In March of 2020 the 50/50 dropped 7% while the PP only dropped a bit over 1%. So a 50/50 is a rougher ride. But from Jan 2014 until today, they have each returned 5.30% annually.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:15 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:50 pm

From Jan to Sept of 2022 the 50/50 had almost a 20% drawdown. The PP was 16% DD during that period. In March of 2020 the 50/50 dropped 7% while the PP only dropped a bit over 1%. So a 50/50 is a rougher ride. But from Jan 2014 until today, they have each returned 5.30% annually.
[/quote]

The purpose of my question was to get at the differences in the sequence of return risk when one starts retirement / withdrawals. I'd not consider the first two periods you cited as qualifying as they were both short time periods with not that large differences.

I assume you are citing 5.3% as their compounded annual return over the near 10 year period?

There could be a dramatic difference in sequence of return risk if the difference between the risk for any given year was far greater with the non-Permanent Portfolio model.

Like if in the one of the years wherein a person retired where there was a -5% return with the Permanent Portfolio model while there being a -20% or -25% return with the other model.

Of course, it's possible it could have also been in the other direction with the Permanent Portfolio model having the significantly worst negative return in a given year(s). However, one of the features of the Permanent Portfolio is while it will generally give less returns than other models it will almost always have less volatility, something to be valued when seeking some form of stability or assurance.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
that episode won many awards …not only was it really something that could have been easily censored in those days but it never used the actual word once for what they were betting on …

wikipedia actually has a story on that one episode
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:43 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:26 am
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
that episode won many awards …not only was it really something that could have been easily censored in those days but it never used the actual word once for what they were betting on …

wikipedia actually has a story on that one episode
Haven't read the wiki but I do remember hearing third hand that there was a lot of pressure to not do the episode, and that Seinfeld himself kept fighting for it and finessing the language (along with Larry David, I'm sure) so as to walk the finest line possible