Portfolio Eintstein?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Portfolio Eintstein?

Post by vnatale » Sun May 07, 2023 10:36 pm

I did a search in the forum and it does not look like there has been any discussion about this Portfolio Einstein web site.

It has quite detailed information on many different portfolios, including The Permanent Portfolio which is here:

https://www.portfolioeinstein.com/harry ... portfolio/

If you buy the $49 ebook it unlocks information on all the portfolios.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Portfolio Eintstein?

Post by dualstow » Mon May 08, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 08, 2023 1:40 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:29 pm
Thanks

Did you see that it also mentions Tex and Craig's book?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Was it written by AI?
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Mon May 08, 2023 2:35 pm

Smells like it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 08, 2023 3:19 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Was it written by AI?

I'd rate it extremely unlikely.

You can go there and judge for yourself but I don't think AI is capable of creating a list of 50+ investing books to read broken down into four categories.

All in all a highly impressive web site, packed with useful information.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon May 08, 2023 4:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:19 pm
Xan wrote:
Was it written by AI?

You can go there and judge for yourself but I don't think AI is capable of creating a list of 50+ investing books to read broken down into four categories.

Sounds like exactly the kind of thing that would be auto-generated.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 08, 2023 4:40 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:26 pm
vnatale wrote:
Xan wrote:
Was it written by AI?

Yeah. The short intro prose before the list may have been written by a human, but the lists themselves could easily have been auto-generated.

One thing that gives the site an auto-generated vibe is the fact that it lacks an "About Me"/"About Us" page to explain who created the site, what their background is, and why they think they're qualified to present the information and offer the paid product.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. » Mon May 08, 2023 5:42 pm

I find the site thoroughly unimpressive. It does indeed read like it was written by a bot. The information provided is minimal and incomplete (who really cares about performance since an arbitrary start year of 1989 - assuming you believe the numbers posted - which I don't). Totally anonymous yet they're happy to take your money. Sheesh.

Not even remotely worth one's time IMHO given that Portfolio Charts and Portfolio Visualizer are both available for free.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 08, 2023 6:51 pm

vnatale wrote:
Ha! Xan and Tortoise are correct.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon May 08, 2023 7:44 pm

Well, Vinny is AI, so whos fooling who
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm

vnatale wrote:
Xan wrote:
Was it written by AI?

That’s kind of A.I.’s specialty O0
At the same time, it doesn’t make the site un-useful, let alone useless.
May as well get used to A.I.-created content. It’s going to be everywhere.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 08, 2023 9:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:40 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:26 pm

vnatale wrote:

Xan wrote:

Was it written by AI?

Yeah. The short intro prose before the list may have been written by a human, but the lists themselves could easily have been auto-generated.

One thing that gives the site an auto-generated vibe is the fact that it lacks an "About Me"/"About Us" page to explain who created the site, what their background is, and why they think they're qualified to present the information and offer the paid product.

You find this from the recommended books on investing to read like it was AI created? All reads to me as if it were written by a unique human being.

https://www.portfolioeinstein.com/best- ... ome-brain/

'The four groups
The best-investing books are divided into the following four groups:

Best investing books that you should read right now! These are the books that I highly recommend. Books that are written by authorities on investing, and that will help you invest both theoretically and practically.

Best investing books that will help you invest better. These are the books that explain what investing is, maybe cover asset allocation, and steers you awayfrom all the F.U.D. out there.

Best investing books that give you intelligent insight into investing. They may also provide well thought out evergreen general investing advice.

Best investing books that seem like they would help you but don’t, but that you are glad you read nonetheless. When you look up “best books on investing,” this category is by far the largest. These are theoretical books. These are books that tout one strategy over another (often outdated or outcompeted). These are also the books without any plan at all in them. They can also be vanity projects disguised as an actual book.

Ok, let’s get on with it.

(The lists are mostly sorted mostly alphabetically)"

"What are you reading?
That’s a lot of books, right?

If you’re just starting, don’t let that scare you. Just pick up Alan Roth’s book or one of John C. Bogle’s and go from there. You won’t be disappointed, and your wallet will thank you!"
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 08, 2023 11:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm
I’m fine with AI-generated content as long as proper attribution is given. For example, “Powered by GPT-4” or “Some of the content on this site was generated using GPT-4” at the bottom of the web page.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 08, 2023 11:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:58 pm
You find this from the recommended books on investing to read like it was AI created? All reads to me as if it were written by a unique human being.
As I already stated in my previous comment, “The short intro prose before the list may have been written by a human, but the lists themselves could easily have been auto-generated.”

I say “may” since one thing a human can do is use GPT to generate an initial draft of some prose, then manually make some minor edits to it to make it sound more natural and human. Maybe add a tiny bit of humor and quirkiness, slang, etc.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 09, 2023 7:35 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:58 pm

As I already stated in my previous comment, “The short intro prose before the list may have been written by a human, but the lists themselves could easily have been auto-generated.”

I say “may” since one thing a human can do is use GPT to generate an initial draft of some prose, then manually make some minor edits to it to make it sound more natural and human. Maybe add a tiny bit of humor and quirkiness, slang, etc.

Or, the other "may" could be that the entire web site may have been entirely created by a human with zero generation by anything non-human.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 09, 2023 8:35 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:34 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm
I’m fine with AI-generated content as long as proper attribution is given. For example, “Powered by GPT-4” or “Some of the content on this site was generated using GPT-4” at the bottom of the web page.
Agree, although I kind of like this inchoate phase in which many of us can spot the difference without being told. Can A.I.’s do that?