An Attack on the PP and Craig R

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: An Attack on the PP and Craig R

Post by Ad Orientem »

1NV3ST0R wrote: So is anyone else thinking we should all go in for 50% of our portfolios in Real Estate? It's a guaranteed win!
Get back to me in a few years and let me know how that worked out for you. (With my luck you will make millions.)
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

No worries, I'll just get in the time machine and go back a couple generations and buy a home then. Get a fixer-upper before it was a fixer-upper and profit without having to flip it!
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

1NV3ST0R wrote: No worries, I'll just get in the time machine and go back a couple generations and buy a home then. Get a fixer-upper before it was a fixer-upper and profit without having to flip it!
If you have access to a time machine can I borrow it? My destination would be 1920 and I'd buy RCA at about a buck a share. If I remember right it went $85 a share by late 1921 and over $500 a share (adjusting for stock splits) by the end of August 1929.  Just gotta remember to sell before the big crash. By the summer of 1931 the stock had fallen back to about $3.00 a share.
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

gizmo_rat wrote:
moda0306 wrote: ... and I'd like to see exactly how he'd want to diversify more. 
Well he does post his own personal portfolio;

Which I could live with if I'd built it over a good few years at opportune prices, but would leave me a gibbering wreck otherwise. I was being generous when I said he could probably benefit from some research into correlation. But hey ho a man is free to follow his own convictions and be obnoxious on his own blog.

This pie chart pretty much convinces me this dilettante has no idea what he's talking about. Unless he has some type of annuity product {unlikely given his supposed net worth}, insurance is not an investment asset.  Neither is "mutual fund" an asset class.  ???  Having almost half of your net worth in real estate doesn't strike me as very well diversified either.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Ad Orientem wrote: If you have access to a time machine can I borrow it? My destination would be 1920 and I'd buy RCA at about a buck a share. If I remember right it went $85 a share by late 1921 and over $500 a share (adjusting for stock splits) by the end of August 1929.  Just gotta remember to sell before the big crash. By the summer of 1931 the stock had fallen back to about $3.00 a share.
Well with the rule of 110 to triple your money, that's still an annual growth of 10%, not too bad still. Granted selling at over $500 would be slightly better.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Funny how he criticizes Craig for picking dates, then goes ahead in comments to cherry pick 1981-2005 for his comment about gold being flat for 25 years.  A hypocritical post from someone that is probably insecure about their own heavily overweight RE portfolio.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
alvinroast

Post by alvinroast »

brick-house wrote: Talk about a creature from Jekyyl Island... 
That's what I zeroed in on as well. Of course he hates gold! :D

I suppose the attack on Craig is a good reminder of what can happen when you become a famous (or soon to be) writer. I suppose he's a bit jealous that his "Make a million in real estate" book isn't selling well. :P
Pres

Post by Pres »

One of the worst financial articles I've ever read. It's almost as if he's angry and misrepresenting the PP on purpose.
Maybe "Robert Platt Bell" is an alias for boglehead Taylor Livermore who killed the original PP thread? ;-)

Platt doesn't seem to know that Harry Browne is dead and the people who are running sites about it are just helping eachother with free information, not making a buck with it. Yes, there's the PRPFX fund, but that's not what those sites are about.

Speaking of free information by the people and for the people: the guys from the Early Retirement Extreme forum have created a very nice summary about the PP on their wiki, with links to the FAQs here:
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/ ... _Portfolio
Last edited by Pres on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

If I'm not mistaken, I think that was Kevin K. from this forum.  It may not have been him, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from this forum.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

hoost wrote: If I'm not mistaken, I think that was Kevin K. from this forum.  It may not have been him, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from this forum.
So there is a traitor among us...

[MediumTex's eyes narrow as he slowly scans the member list]
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
alvinroast

Post by alvinroast »

Pres wrote: One of the worst financial articles I've ever read. It's almost as if he's angry and misrepresenting the PP on purpose.
Maybe "Robert Platt Bell" is an alias for boglehead Taylor Livermore who killed the original PP thread? ;-)

Speaking of free information by the people and for the people: the guys from the Early Retirement Extreme forum have created a very nice summary about the PP on their wiki, with links to the FAQs here:
Thanks for the link to that well organized concise summary. Fortunately for every "Robert Platt Bell" there's a great site like Jacob's that provides great info for free. Nice links to Crawling Road as well.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

hoost wrote: If I'm not mistaken, I think that was Kevin K. from this forum.  It may not have been him, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from this forum.
Yikes! No - not me! I'm a huge fan of Craig's and am fully invested in the PP.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

alvinroast wrote:
Pres wrote: One of the worst financial articles I've ever read. It's almost as if he's angry and misrepresenting the PP on purpose.

Thanks for the link. That is one of the better one page summaries I have run across. I am bookmarking it for quick reference when I am trying to explain what the PP is all about to the non initiated.

Thanks for the link to that well organized concise summary. Fortunately for every "Robert Platt Bell" there's a great site like Jacob's that provides great info for free. Nice links to Crawling Road as well.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Kevin K. wrote:
Yikes! No - not me! I'm a huge fan of Craig's and am fully invested in the PP.
Apologies.  It was KevinW...at least he was planning to do it.  Haha, too many Kevin's.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ht ... ic.php?t=9

And I was referring to the post at the ERE wiki, not the article from this Robert Platt Bell fellow.  I just read the wiki and it looks like a good intro the to PP; nice work.