General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Permanent Portfolio Templates

Post by Greg »

Hello all.

As a service for this forum, I've created a Permanent Portfolio Template for those interested. For the stocks portion, it pulls the values from Google Finance. For Bonds, it pulls values from either Google Finance or from Fidelity for individual Bonds. For Gold, it pulls the values from spot price of gold and silver from APMEX.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XaGc#gid=0

The main page also has a conditional format so that if you reach the rebalancing bands on the Permanent Portfolio tab, the percentage value will turn either red or green depending on whether the PP-portion is above 35% or below 15%. This would tell you that you need to rebalance.

I'll be creating updated versions along the way but feel free to add in your own flair as well. If something looks of interest to me I'll incorporate it into my actual GoogleDoc portfolio I made for myself. To prevent the case where you won't like my future additions to the Google Doc template, simply copy the current GoogleDoc and make it your own.

Note all the values in here are just dummy values, so you'll have to post in your own.

Also I've added a tab that incorporates how much money you would be investing over time and then when you retire, how much money you'd like to pull out each yeah in inflation-adjusted dollars. Currently, I have the system set up to say I add $15,000 each year into the portfolio (note this doesn't go up with inflation so each year you'd be putting in "less"). The money grows at a 7% growth rate, or 4% real growth after inflation. I have this process happening from age 25 to age 70. After age 70, I have "retired" and begin drawdown of my portfolio. I put a value of taking out $100,000 in today's dollars and thought I'd live till 95 (a guess). I have inflation at 3% each year.

The initial value is just the value needed to have a positive balance after being in retirement for 25 years. The value is also incorporated on the main Permanent Portfolio tab to see if you need to save more to reach the current goals of the $100,000 each year for retirement.

I intend to create tax-status as well for taxable and non-taxable accounts. I also intend to add year dates to purchases to determine whether they are long or short-term capital gains/losses.

Let me know if there is anything you feel should be added and I'll see if it gets into the next version. Ideally at some point, I'll figure out how to make the software to turn this into a better program but for now GoogleDocs works reasonably well.

Hope you like it.

- 1NV35T0R
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Google Doc

Post by Pointedstick »

Hehe, you made the gold yellow and the cash green, same as I did in my spreadsheet. This looks great!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Pointedstick wrote: Hehe, you made the gold yellow and the cash green, same as I did in my spreadsheet. This looks great!
Obviously hah. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. The more experienced PPers on here probably won't have to use this or they'll have much more refined versions of this. I'm still quite new to the PP and I made this for entry-level people that wanted a kickstart to their own investing spreadsheets.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by steve »

1NV35T0R wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Hehe, you made the gold yellow and the cash green, same as I did in my spreadsheet. This looks great!
Obviously hah. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. The more experienced PPers on here probably won't have to use this or they'll have much more refined versions of this. I'm still quite new to the PP and I made this for entry-level people that wanted a kickstart to their own investing spreadsheets.
I made this a while back as a scaled down sample of something that I use: You have to download it and open it with excel. You can modify it anyway you like.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8hEwPF ... edit?pli=1
Just a quick note: sometimes the pages that the data uploads from change so you need to make modifications to the reference cells on occasion. I am so familiar with it I can modify it in a few seconds.
Last edited by steve on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

steve wrote:
1NV35T0R wrote:
I made this a while back as a scaled down sample of something that I use: You have to download it and open it with excel. You can modify it anyway you like.

Just a quick note: sometimes the pages that the data uploads from change so you need to make modifications to the reference cells on occasion. I am so familiar with it I can modify it in a few seconds.
Thanks for the knowledge. I'll check this out more and see what I can incorporate into mine, etc. I'm just trying to find a reasonably clean way for newer people to the PP to categorize everything. (Or maybe I just like categorizing things so I made the Google Doc and anyone interested is free to use).

steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by steve »

1NV35T0R wrote:
steve wrote:
1NV35T0R wrote: Obviously hah. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. The more experienced PPers on here probably won't have to use this or they'll have much more refined versions of this. I'm still quite new to the PP and I made this for entry-level people that wanted a kickstart to their own investing spreadsheets.

Thanks for the knowledge. I'll check this out more and see what I can incorporate into mine, etc. I'm just trying to find a reasonably clean way for newer people to the PP to categorize everything. (Or maybe I just like categorizing things so I made the Google Doc and anyone interested is free to use).
This one is even more scaled down. It does not update itself.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8hEwP ... UxyVnQtZ00
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

steve wrote:
1NV35T0R wrote:
steve wrote: I made this a while back as a scaled down sample of something that I use: You have to download it and open it with excel. You can modify it anyway you like.

This one is even more scaled down. It does not update itself.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8hEwP ... UxyVnQtZ00
Thanks for more information Steve. Perhaps this can be a thread for people to submit various PP templates and people can pic and choose what they'd like.

hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Template: Google Doc

Post by hoost »

I have a similar one here if you're interested.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Template: Google Doc

Post by Greg »

hoost and others,

Thanks for all of your help with these. All of these different ways of making a portfolio and little additives will help me and others to make an optimum portfolio tracking tool for them.

Thanks again.

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Templates

Post by Greg »

Here's another thread of PP spreadsheets for those interested. I was just trying to get a lot of these threads together for a lot of info for people to construct their own PPs.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ht ... ic.php?t=9
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ht ... 6584#p6584
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro »

Hi Greg, I'm using your template to track my PP.
And I wanted to ask you a question:
Is there any function that can be used in the main page under the ACTUAL column to make the monetary values be updated automatically according to the daily variations?
regards
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

escafandro wrote: Hi Greg, I'm using your template to track my PP.
And I wanted to ask you a question:
Is there any function that can be used in the main page under the ACTUAL column to make the monetary values be updated automatically according to the daily variations?
regards
escafandro,

Sorry it took a while to respond to you. To make the actual column update automatically, what I've done is I take that column and turn it into =Stocks!G14 where it pulls the value from the stocks column into the main sheet. Within the stocks tab, you can use =GoogleFinance(B3) to point to a cell that has a stock/ETF value in it (such as a cell that has VTI in it), or just use =GoogleFinance("VTI") to pull directly from Google Finance. From here, you can use

=(GoogleFinance(B3) - Googlefinance(B3, "closeyest"))/Googlefinance(B3, "closeyest")

which will give you the current value of the stock/etf and subtract off the previous day and divides by the previous day to give you the current gain/loss percentage. You could leave off the division portion at the end of the code-piece if you just want the flat dollar amount of whether it has gain/lost that day. Again, above where everything says "B3", you could replace that with a stock/ETF value in quotations or take the cell "B3" (or any cell for that matter) and put in a stock/etf in there. Also works for mutual funds and such as well.

Hope that helps.

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

I've added a version 2.0 now. It has some added features over the old one. Features such as

- Now has a gold/silver ratio to make sure gold is always your majority holding to keep it in check in the gold tab
- Offers a tab for 401k accounts (or TSP for federal government people such as myself)
- on Permanent Portfolio tab, now offers a return %
- Adds up values within Taxable, Non-taxable (Roth), and Tax-Deferred
- Probably other stuff as well...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... GZkE#gid=0

Check it out and let me know if there is any questions/comments you have on it. Thanks.

-1NV35T0R

escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro »

Thanks, Greg!! Amazing work
Last edited by escafandro on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edamat

Post by edamat »

Hi, Greg:

great spreadsheet.
one question, is there a parameter to pull the prices of TSP funds from TSP website, like the ones that pull bonds or gold price?
I am a rookie at such and I couldn't figure out the "table" part, appreantly the one below doesn't work,
=ImportHTML("https://www.tsp.gov/investmentfunds/sha ... ,"table",2)

thanks
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

edamat wrote: Hi, Greg:

great spreadsheet.
one question, is there a parameter to pull the prices of TSP funds from TSP website, like the ones that pull bonds or gold price?
I am a rookie at such and I couldn't figure out the "table" part, appreantly the one below doesn't work,
=ImportHTML("https://www.tsp.gov/investmentfunds/sha ... ,"table",2)

thanks
Upon reading up on your question, I haven't been able to find a good share price history yet for TSP.

I did figure out though you could get the monthly change in percentage, you might be able to use this data for now till something better is figured out.

=ImportHTML("https://www.tsp.gov/investmentfunds/mon ... ,"table",2)

You can then just hide the columns that you don't want (since you can't delete them from the table) but I'm also not great with html editing so there's probably a way to do it, I just don't know how to yet.

UPDATE:

Either of these work:

=ImportHTML("http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_fund ... ,"table",8) <-- Headings
=ImportHTML("http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_fund ... ,"table",9) <-- Most recent Share Prices
=ImportHTML("http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_fund ... ,"table",9) <-- Day Before Share Prices

OR...

=ImportHTML("http://tspcenter.com/tspReturns.php?vie ... "TABLE",32)

Yields the Current Day and the Previous Day for all Fund Share Prices.

Helps to have two ways to do this in case one website falls apart or changes its scheme to make one of these need to modified/becomes useless

Also, if you want to pull only one value from the whole line, you can use something like this:

=Index(ImportHTML("http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_fund ... ,"table",9),1,2) <-- G-Fund Current Price
=Index(ImportHTML("http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_fund ... "table",10),1,3) <-- F-Fund Yesterday's Price

...etc...
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edamat

Post by edamat »

Thanks, Greg:
looks like we can pull from places other than tsp.gov. But multi websites would help, like you said, if one of them stop working.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hello !!!

Still updated the spreadsheet?

Can I use it?

Thank you!

Oooohhhhhh it is only for US-PP

I am with EU-PP
:)

Last edited by frugal on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Greg hasn't been around for a long time.
I miss him.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:47 pm Greg hasn't been around for a long time.
I miss him.
Greg has been around as recently as less than two months ago.

Greg, if you are reading this, have you updated in the last eight years any of the prior spreadsheets that you have provided in this topic?

Thanks

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."