Book Endorsers for the new Permanent Portfolio book.

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book Endorsers for the new Permanent Portfolio book.

Post by Reub »

I would look to stations and shows that have gold advertisers. I know that Fox Business has a lot of these types of commercials.
TK3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by TK3 »

Ben Stein.  He wrote a book on Monte Carlo simulation and the markets that lead me to the PP.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MediumTex wrote: Does anyone know of a local personal finance AM radio show host who might be interested in doing a segment about the book and strategy?  Sort of like a farm league Dave Ramsey-type.
You might be able to get Stansberry Radio to interview you or craigr.  Porter's own asset class recommendations are very, very similar to the HBPP but I'm not sure he's aware of the HBPP (or neglects to mention it for proprietary pecnuciary interest).

Out of all the names listed so far, if you can land and convince Ramit Sethi, you would score humongous.  He has the reach of Generation Y but is weak in terms of a specific passive asset allocation strategy to recommend to his followers.  The HBPP is a perfect fit to his common sense, no B.S., financially automated, insider advantage tactics.  We'd likely see a huge influx of followers to the forum if you can close it.

But damn, with the publishing date set in October (huge once-in-a-decade timing window) and the irony of publishing the book at all, something's going to go bust.  I just hope its not the HBPP instead of the world economy.  :D
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

MediumTex wrote:
smurff wrote: Just brainstorming.
I was talking with Craig yesterday and I mentioned Wayne Newton.

Seriously, though, there are some great suggestions above.

Does anyone know of a local personal finance AM radio show host who might be interested in doing a segment about the book and strategy?  Sort of like a farm league Dave Ramsey-type.

Not that this is exactly the venue you're looking for, but I'll bet one of you guys could get on Peter Schiff's radio show and "debate" him on the merits of the PP.  

He does a show every day and supposedly loves to debate those with a different perspective.  It's syndicated as a podcast, and would be fun to hear one of you guys talk to him.  
Last edited by AdamA on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

I think the Timothy Ferris suggestion is a good one.  I think your book is going to appeal to a lot of people in his crowd who are into gaming systems.

Also-- Neil Strauss.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

MediumTex wrote: Thanks for passing that along.  I was also thinking that Dave Ramsey might be good for the short list.

It's funny how many people are so knee-jerk anti-gold.  If you don't understand how it can work in a diversified portfolio, though, I can see how you might be very skeptical of it ("sceptical" if you're British).
I still think that Dave Ramsey is worth a go.  All of Ramsey's criticisms of gold are truths that the PP acknowledges and handles:
  • It tends to return 0% real over time
  • It's an extremely volatile instrument (I recall that this was a big one for him, and rightly so)
What's special is that the PP takes a crazy financial instrument like that and puts it into a simple, robust packaging.  He may be impressed that the PP uses something like gold to create a package that is in a Dave Ramsey styling -- safe, simple, and reliable.

When you look at the origin stories that people have posted on the forum about how they came to embrace the Permanent Portfolio, just about everyone went through that moment of horror at the idea of placing 25% into gold or 25% into long-term government bonds.

I've enjoyed the chance to look at both of these instruments (one that I feared and one that I hated) in a completely different light.  I wouldn't be surprised if he felt the same way.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron »

Russ Roberts, Thomas Sowell, and (no kidding) Michael Phelps.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

6 Iron wrote: Russ Roberts, Thomas Sowell, and (no kidding) Michael Phelps.
Well, Phelps certainly has one cornerstone of the PP covered.....
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

clacy wrote:
6 Iron wrote: Russ Roberts, Thomas Sowell, and (no kidding) Michael Phelps.
Well, Phelps certainly has one cornerstone of the PP covered.....
I'm not so sure about that. This might be one of those items for the "what to avoid" section on gold investing in Craig's and MT's new book.
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- A gold medal at the 2012 London Summer Olympics is valued in the hours, effort and money spent to obtain it, but all that glitters isn't gold.

The price of gold has soared from roughly $1,000 an ounce during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing to $1,584 an ounce by mid-July of this year. That's a pretty steep discount on 5 a.m. practices every day since age 5 or a national sports governing body's annual budget, but it gets even steeper when you consider the medal's true makeup.

If an Olympian or the average Joe tried to cash in a medal from this year's games by means other than an auction or a sports memorabilia dealer, they'd be parting with 92.5% silver, 6.16% copper and 1.34% percent gold. International Olympic Committee rules dictate that gold medals need to contain at least 550 grams of silver and at least six grams of pure gold coating. That adds up to a medal worth roughly $800 for "gold" medal winners in London, which is a huge discount from a medal worth its weight in gold.

While the medals have become weightier over time, it's been weight without the heft of much gold. In fact, the last Olympics to offer 100% gold medals was the 1912 games (the year before the Federal Reserve Act was enacted, incidentally.)
Read the rest here...
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11643115 ... en=GOOGLEN
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

MediumTex wrote:
smurff wrote: Just brainstorming.
I was talking with Craig yesterday and I mentioned Wayne Newton.

Seriously, though, there are some great suggestions above.

Does anyone know of a local personal finance AM radio show host who might be interested in doing a segment about the book and strategy?  Sort of like a farm league Dave Ramsey-type.

Rob Black - 1220 AM in the Bay Area (SF)
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
KevD

Post by KevD »

craigr wrote:
In the same vein, any podcasters you like that discuss investing/finance topics!
Jim Puplava of the Financial Sense Newshour.  He is balanced, well-read and known for his thoughtful interviews.  When he interviews people with views he disagrees with, he lets them talk without being interrupted, and asks intelligent questions to boot.  He thinks we are in a bond bubble, but likes gold and stocks.  He is not a perma anything and will change his views as warranted.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

KevD wrote:
craigr wrote:
In the same vein, any podcasters you like that discuss investing/finance topics!
Jim Puplava of the Financial Sense Newshour.  He is balanced, well-read and known for his thoughtful interviews.  When he interviews people with views he disagrees with, he lets them talk without being interrupted, and asks intelligent questions to boot.  He thinks we are in a bond bubble, but likes gold and stocks.  He is not a perma anything and will change his views as warranted.
I used to listen to him every week.  I like him, though I would say he is a bit of a bear.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Alanw
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Alanw »

Ray Lucia,  Developed a strategy for individuals in or near retirement called the Bucket Strategy.  Author of several books and host of a nationally syndicated talk radio show out of San Diego.
brick-house

Post by brick-house »

Looking forward to the book - thanks for all of the work. 

Nasim Nicholas Taleb
Barry Ritholtz
Wade Pfau
Daniel Kahneman
Micheal Kitces
Cullen Roche

Hopefully, you get an interview with Liz Claman on the book tour...
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

For some overseas (Great Britain) exposure I would suggest Ambrose Evans-Pritchard. He is the International Business Editor of The Daily Telegraph. And a lot of what I have read from him makes me think he would be open to the PP.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I have always been partial to Suzanne Somers. If she endorses your book I'll buy a hundred copies. And I bet that she owns a lot of gold! :)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: I have always been partial to Suzanne Somers. If she endorses your book I'll buy a hundred copies. And I bet that she owns a lot of gold! :)
We are actually already working that angle.

We are coming out with a piece of PP-themed home exercise equipment and Somers is already lined up to endorse it.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

MediumTex wrote:
Reub wrote: I have always been partial to Suzanne Somers. If she endorses your book I'll buy a hundred copies. And I bet that she owns a lot of gold! :)
We are actually already working that angle.

We are coming out with a piece of PP-themed home exercise equipment and Somers is already lined up to endorse it.

Have you thought about marketing the PP as a cancer treatment?  If you get Somers to help promote it, then maybe Dr. Oz will jump on board.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

"The Permanent Thigh Master" sure has a nice ring to it! As endorsed by Suzanne Somers and Medium Tex. And it's guaranteed to work under all conditions.  
KevD

Post by KevD »

MediumTex wrote:
KevD wrote:
craigr wrote:
I used to listen to him every week.  I like him, though I would say he is a bit of a bear.
Not lately.  He's pushing dividend-paying stocks these days.

I think his portfolio is something like:

25% gold, gold stocks
25% oil stocks
25% dividend-paying stocks
25% real estate

I could be wrong on his exact allocations, but those are th main areas he invests in.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

I'm somewhat surprised nobody's suggested Marc De Mesel yet.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

rickb wrote: I'm somewhat surprised nobody's suggested Marc De Mesel yet.
Is anyone in the U.S. going to know who he is?
greenv

Post by greenv »

Bob Brinker
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader »

How about Rick Ferri?

Just kidding.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

Tom Gleason of The Gleason Report. While he is less known he mentioned PRPFX and PP many times in his newsletters. His free monthly reports are quite interesting not only for investors, but also for anyone interested in the big picture. Also I like the fact that his career track covers it all: bullion dealer, finance guy, fraud investigation, real estate appraiser. Last year he published a book How To Invest if You Can't Afford to Lose, which I would put on one shelf with the upcoming PP book. Although he does talk about timing, this is not the "bad" timing the term usually means these days. His core theme is capital preservation, not getting rich quick.

Someone suggested Mebane Faber - I second that. I hope people attracted by GTAA will eventually move to HBPP as they mature. :)

I would also recommend someone from the gold industry, perhaps folks from GTU and CEF.

Also, since PP approach is truly international it would be nice to get endorsements from non-US investors: Marc Faber is the first name that pops up.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud