Permanent Portfolio Book - Kindle Edition Now Shipping!

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Permanent Portfolio Book - Kindle Edition Now Shipping!

Post by craigr »

I looked on Amazon tonight and the Kindle version of the book is now available. Get it here:

Permanent Portfolio Book Kindle Edition

Hardback version is coming for those that want a reference for their library shelf at home.

If you enjoy the book, please leave a review on Amazon to help other readers. We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to read the book. Also please "Like" the book on Amazon and feel free to suggest tags to help others find the book.

Thanks for your support!
Last edited by craigr on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Book - Kindle Edition Now Shipping!

Post by Reub »

Congratulations Craig and MT! I'll be waiting for my hard copy to arrive in the mail.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Brilliant!  Got my copy.  Can't wait to get started reading it.

I'm resisting the temptation to skip ahead to the more advanced stuff in chapters 12-14 but I'll be a good boy.  :)
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

If you skip ahead you'll miss out on the deep character development and major pieces of the plot.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Just got the email alert from amazon.

Craig, will it have the same cartoons and illustrations as in the hardcover?

It's not a huge deal for me, but I plan to give hardcovers to family members and a kindle version to myself.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

dualstow wrote: Just got the email alert from amazon.

It's not a huge deal for me, but I plan to give hardcovers to family members and a kindle version to myself.
Yes they are identical...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cool. Good to know.
Next time, please try to answer more promptly. ;-)
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote: Just got the email alert from amazon.

I think that people will enjoy the illustrations in the book.  We had a very talented illustrator working with us and the concepts for the illustrations seemed to translate really well.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I was all geared up for another month of anticipation.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Also if you get the book on Amazon, feel free to "Like" it there and add/check the tags on the book to help others find it. Thanks!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I see that there is a free sample of the Kindle version available if anyone would like to check it out.
Khisanth

Post by Khisanth »

I read the getrichslowly blog all the time - great Foreword! Getting ready to gift it out to my parents and friends and already into the first chapters. This might make the wife upset -- we're supposed to be on vacation right now.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Thanks to everyone for supporting us in this effort.

It has been a lot of work and a lot of fun getting it together.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Khisanth wrote: I read the getrichslowly blog all the time - great Foreword! Getting ready to gift it out to my parents and friends and already into the first chapters. This might make the wife upset -- we're supposed to be on vacation right now.
J.D. is a great guy. He lives near me and we've had good chances to talk about investing and finance. I appreciate him writing the Foreword for us.
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader »

Good job, guys.  I just bought the Kindle edition and will buy several printed copies to give to friends and family.
Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

I ordered my kindle copy this morning and have begun reading it. Pretty impressed so far, excellent work!
You know how I feel about handouts...cash is much more flexible, hell, cash is king!
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron »

Congratulations, and thank you. I have already jumped in. I bought it, thinking I was supporting your efforts, but much like this forum, I get more than I give.
One day at a time
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by One day at a time »

Craig,

I met the Get Rich Slowlly blogger in my neighborhood, so you must be in the Sellwood-Moreland part of Portland...small world.

Congrats on the book.
One day at a time
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by One day at a time »

Small world, Craig- The Get Rich Slowly blogger lives a block over from my house in West Moreland.
Congrats on the book.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

craigr wrote: I looked on Amazon tonight and the Kindle version of the book is now available. Get it here:

Permanent Portfolio Book Kindle Edition

Hardback version is coming for those that want a reference for their library shelf at home.
$23 for the Kindle edition?  Talk about price fixing!  The whole appeal of ebooks were the use of less resources so why isn't there such huge discounts?  Even $10 is too much when paperbacks still cost less that that.

I will continue to boycott Kindle.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

MachineGhost wrote: $23 for the Kindle edition?  Talk about price fixing!  The whole appeal of ebooks were the use of less resources so why isn't there such huge discounts?  Even $10 is too much when paperbacks still cost less that that.

We don't set the prices. But I will say that there were a lot of people involved to get the book to print and it is unlikely large numbers will be sold (this isn't exactly Harry Potter!). Selling for less than $10 is extremely difficult on lower volume production runs just thinking about the time, effort, research and expenses we had just to write it. Not to mention the editors, copy editors, proof readers and marketing people that worked on it. Don't give the publishing industry too much credit in terms of margins on these projects.

I'm biased, but this book contains a ton of original information that readers just aren't going to find in most books on the subject of investing. I've easily spent 2X as much for 1/2 as much information and practical knowledge. I'll flat out state that I'll put what we have in this book against any I've ever read in terms of information, presentation, clarity and practical use.
Last edited by craigr on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LazyInvestor »

craigr wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: $23 for the Kindle edition?  Talk about price fixing!  The whole appeal of ebooks were the use of less resources so why isn't there such huge discounts?  Even $10 is too much when paperbacks still cost less that that.

We don't set the prices. But I will say that there were a lot of people involved to get the book to print and it is unlikely large numbers will be sold (this isn't exactly Harry Potter!). Selling for less than $10 is extremely difficult on lower volume production runs just thinking about the time, effort, research and expenses we had just to write it. Not to mention the editors, copy editors, proof readers and marketing people that worked on it. Don't give the publishing industry too much credit in terms of margins on these projects.

I'm biased, but this book contains a ton of original information that readers just aren't going to find in most books on the subject of investing. I've easily spent 2X as much for 1/2 as much information and practical knowledge. I'll flat out state that I'll put what we have in this book against any I've ever read in terms of information, presentation, clarity and practical use.
Congratulations! I got the book yesterday, and just the international diversification info is worth the money. Kindle edition price will probably prevent it from being an easy buy for most unfamiliar with PP.
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller »

Craig & MT:

Thank you for taking the time to write this important book.  I remember getting a copy of William Bernstein's "4 Pillars" back for Xmas in 2004, and it gave me an investing education that served me well (.....at least until 2008 came along).  I plan to get your book as a Xmas gift for several people in my family, hopefully it will serve them well for many years.  I have tried to explain the PP concept to several people, but when I explain how simple it is, and how there is a large allocation to gold, I usually lose my audience.  I am hoping your book will do a better job.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Austen Heller wrote: Craig & MT:

Thank you for taking the time to write this important book.  I remember getting a copy of William Bernstein's "4 Pillars" back for Xmas in 2004, and it gave me an investing education that served me well (.....at least until 2008 came along).
You'll be happy to know that Bill Bernstein was the first reviewer of the book on Amazon (he reviewed the manuscript). Although he does not invest in the style of the Permanent Portfolio, he had good things to say about the book.

Thanks for buying it.
Last edited by craigr on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Craig and MT, if this book goes well as it should I could see a possible whole new line of "Permanent" books from the two of you. Such as:

The Permanent Marriage
The Permanent Wardrobe Including Chaps
The Permanent Diet
The Permanent Haircut
The Permanent Survival Kit
The Permanent Education
The Permanent Gun Collection

Etc.

Am I wrong?