Sad news

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sad news

Post by Ad Orientem »

It appears that Craig is moving on to other interests. Not that I can blame him. The Permanent Portfolio's great curse, along with most passive investing strategies, is that it is boring. This is why Jack Bogle doesn't have the 6 PM slot every night on CNBC instead of Jim Cramer, despite the fact that he is unquestionably the better investor. Once you explain the basics and answer a few nuts and bolts questions, or maybe write a book, you're done. Even so, this news just adds to what has already been an incredibly crappy week for me.

http://www.crawlingroad.com/blog/
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sad news

Post by dualstow »

I'll miss Craig's insight but I've already missed his presence, as well as Medium Tex' for a long time now.

Hope your week gets better, Ad O.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Oh no!  I hope he'll still pop in here every now and again.  And maybe after a break, there'll be some new things to talk about.
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

Sad news indeed. Let's hope Craig and Medium Tex will make a statement on this board.

Not to mention the practical nuts and bolts issues of board moderation and administration. In my experience, an unmoderated board soon falls into an abyss of namecalling and angry exchanges, leading to collapse.

At least we can count on the PP remaining as a bedrock of our investing life, with or without this board. But I have greatly enjoyed the board and hope it will continue.
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 »

Speaking only for myself, as I am still pretty insecure as to whether the PP will provide the needed protection and returns as I approach retirement, I think what I would miss most is the calming influence both Craig and MT provide when the wind starts to blow and the financial waters get choppy...

Thanks, Craig, for all your thought and input...  Please check in from time to time on us kids...
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

goodasgold wrote: Sad news indeed. Let's hope Craig and Medium Tex will make a statement on this board.

Not to mention the practical nuts and bolts issues of board moderation and administration. In my experience, an unmoderated board soon falls into an abyss of namecalling and angry exchanges, leading to collapse.

At least we can count on the PP remaining as a bedrock of our investing life, with or without this board. But I have greatly enjoyed the board and hope it will continue.
we have managed to collect a group of posters here who are already above and beyond the rest of the internet when it comes to intelligent debate and self control, and we have and will continue to have a few moderators doing the easiest moderating job ever.. i have no doubts this will remain the same.

craig's blog will be missed... and i join in with those who hope he will drop in on occasion to calm nerves when the gyroscope wobbles. or once in a while just to say hi...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Got your back, PP67.  ;)

Craig has been blogging about more non-PP stuff for a while now.  I see this as more confirmation of his already evident shifting interests.  His contribution to the documented PP knowledge base is pretty thorough at this point, and very greatly appreciated.

The message board is sorta its own entity, driven by the great community of people here.  Keep it up! 

The situation reminds me a bit of Jacob and the ERE blog -- he hung up his boots on blogging regularly, but is still an active participant in the forum.  Hopefully Craig will have a similar path.
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

A true PP is the ultimate "set it and forget it" portfolio, IMO.  There really isn't much that needs to be said.  If a book comes out every 10-15 years to update the strategy to reflect new investment products, etc, there is not a lot else needed.

I do a fair amount of trading using some other strategies, so I'm always curious about tweaks for the PP, but once you do that significantly, you are away from the PP principles.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

Thanks Craig.
You did it well and we get it...
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 »

I would like to chime in that I really wish that you'd finish your account of the Antarctica trip, Craig!

And of course thanks for the work mirroring Harry's podcast and taking up the torch, making it easier for us to find information about the PP strategy.
ozzy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ozzy »

I'd like to thank CraigR for creating this forum.  It has provided a wealth of information and helped me create a worry-free bulletproof portfolio.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Thank you, CraigR! You have changed my life for the better.

But did you have to say goodbye in French? ;)
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Thanks for the comments. I'm still around, but just won't be posting much on the PP on the blog. You may seen an occasional article or so though. I just don't have much more to add that I haven't written about there dozens of times.