Let me guess, everything's great!

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Let me guess, everything's great!

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm

l82start wrote: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... ivil-6079/ just because Med Tex and Craig are not a visible presence does not mean the cat is away.. please lets keep it civil..

we have two threads getting attitude today, lets try to keep whatever is "in the air" off the forum

thanks
My apologies. This forum is too important to me to alienate respected members. Deleted inappropriate comments.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
l82start wrote: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... ivil-6079/ just because Med Tex and Craig are not a visible presence does not mean the cat is away.. please lets keep it civil..

we have two threads getting attitude today, lets try to keep whatever is "in the air" off the forum

thanks
My apologies. This forum is too important to me to alienate respected members. Deleted inappropriate comments.
I'd still like you to PM me your address ;)
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

dragoncar wrote:
buddtholomew wrote:

thanks
I'd still like you to PM me your address ;)
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

I'll be waiting  ;)
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Aw man, I didn't even get to find out what an ar_______y d___ was.  ???
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:10 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
PP Allocation: 30% equities (90% SPY, 10% VEU), 20% GLD, 25% TLT and 25% Cash. I am comfortable with this allocation and expect to hold indefinitely. Surprising what a 5% difference (GLD to VEU) can achieve for your peace of mind.
I think this plan sounds very good for you.  This is a great success!

You know, as strongly as Harry Browne felt about the PP, he never wanted to shoehorn or pressure someone into doing something that person was not comfortable with.  It was all about: what's right for you?  What will best help you achieve your goals and live your life?

What you've done will give you similar results to the safety and stability of a Permanent Portfolio, and do it at a much lower cost for you, personally, in terms of peace of mind.

So this is a fantastic plan.  Congratulations!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Is 3% VEU significant?  Not in my way of thinking.  Anything less than 5%, and maybe 10%,  is just noise.  Not trying to be mean, just saying it plainly.  :)
Stay free, my friends.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 pm

I Shrugged wrote: Is 3% VEU significant?  Not in my way of thinking.  Anything less than 5%, and maybe 10%,  is just noise.  Not trying to be mean, just saying it plainly.  :)
Yes, I agree. The plan is for 80/20 US/EU or 5% of equities. Retirement accounts are 50/50 US/EU.

This is done.

25/15/20/40 equities/gold/treasuries/cash, US/EU 80/20 with 5.6 years fixed income duration.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

LC475 wrote:
buddtholomew wrote:
PP Allocation: 30% equities (90% SPY, 10% VEU), 20% GLD, 25% TLT and 25% Cash. I am comfortable with this allocation and expect to hold indefinitely. Surprising what a 5% difference (GLD to VEU) can achieve for your peace of mind.
I think this plan sounds very good for you.  This is a great success!

You know, as strongly as Harry Browne felt about the PP, he never wanted to shoehorn or pressure someone into doing something that person was not comfortable with.  It was all about: what's right for you?  What will best help you achieve your goals and live your life?

What you've done will give you similar results to the safety and stability of a Permanent Portfolio, and do it at a much lower cost for you, personally, in terms of peace of mind.

So this is a fantastic plan.  Congratulations!
Thank you for your post LC. Much appreciated!
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:35 pm

I Shrugged wrote: Is 3% VEU significant?  Not in my way of thinking.  Anything less than 5%, and maybe 10%,  is just noise.  Not trying to be mean, just saying it plainly.  :)
This is done.

25/15/20/40 equities/gold/treasuries/cash, US/EU 80/20 with 5.6 years fixed income duration.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Looks good
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:03 pm

dualstow wrote: Looks good
Thanks dualstow. I favor this composition and don't believe that these slight modifications violate the principles of the HBPP. I am still committed to equities, gold, LTT and Cash and 1. only sold enough GLD to offset gains in LTT's and 2. reach the maximum allotted annual deduction of 3K.

Purchasing US equities would have raised some market timing eyebrows, so I chose to invest in All World ex-US at 5% of equities (VEU). International markets have not faired as well as US equity investments over the last few years and I have wanted the additional diversification in taxable as well.

Anyway, that's my rationale for the changes. Hopefully I can commit to this allocation for the long-term, through thick and thin...
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Have not been on here for a while, but was interested by this thread. I hope you find peace with your new portfolio, budd, but I suspect that will only come when you are at peace enough to not check it so frequently. I cannot tell you how good it feels to be on the every three month plan, and I may go to every six. There is an incredible amount of noise out there, and 10% rebalancing bands are huge.
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:17 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
This is done.

Why not just put 20% of your portfolio into cash as your variable portfolio and 80% of your portfolio into a true PP? Then never mix the two.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:52 pm

TripleB wrote:
buddtholomew wrote:
This is done.

Why not just put 20% of your portfolio into cash as your variable portfolio and 80% of your portfolio into a true PP? Then never mix the two.
I prefer to view the portfolio holistically for a true representation of my risk tolerance.

I tried the PP/VP allocation as you suggest, but was still too focused on the volatility without seeing the big picture.