What software do you use to keep track of your pp ?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What software do you use to keep track of your pp ?

Post by rickb »

Clive wrote:
=((end_amount/start_amount)^(1/number_of_years))-1

is pretty generic
Doh!

Thanks.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i don't have anything to contribute to this thread...  but i do want to say thanks...  i have been tracking my investments using a combination of the information vanguard provides and my "best guess".
In the last couple months  i have been begun to study spread sheets so i can start tracking my investments closely, these spreadsheet threads that have been popping up are saving me a lot of hours trying to find this information in the on-line tutorials that i have been looking at...   
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

Clive wrote:
rickb wrote: Anyone know how to compute CAGR (given a starting and ending value, and number of years) using google docs?  It looks like rate() should do it, but I haven't been able to get it to work.  I'm looking for the equivalent of what in openoffice would be rri(years;start;end).
=((end_amount/start_amount)^(1/number_of_years))-1

is pretty generic
That only works for a one-time purchase - that is if there were no additional investments after the start_amount had been invested. I guess this is what you were looking for.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Wow, you guys were right about Google docs.  Thanks so much for all these ideas.  I was able to whip up a quick tracker just over my lunch hour!  Didn't expect it to actually be that easy.  It's nice to have it laid out so that at a glance you can see all of your percentages, how many $ out of perfect 4x25 balance an asset is, etc.

If anyone is interested in how to include the spot price of gold in a cell in order to easily price their coins, the following formula will scrape the gold price off of APMEX:

Code: Select all

=Index(ImportHTML("http://apmex.com/","table",7),2,2)
Here's the formula for silver, too, for any of you that might add a little cream to their Permanent Portfolio coffee:

Code: Select all

=Index(ImportHTML("http://apmex.com/","table",7),3,2)
I didn't come up with the above myself.  This thread on google was my source.

The one thing I still don't have very well automated is pricing my individual Treasury securities (such as 30-year Treasury Bonds or the 1- to 3-year Treasury Notes that I use as "cash".)  Does anyone have any suggestions on how they've accomplished this?

If I was a real fancy pants, I'd get the spreadhsheet to calculate the value of my savings bonds as well.  Then I just teach google docs how to execute a trade and I may not be doing anything to my PP until I retire.   :)
Last edited by Lone Wolf on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fnord123
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fnord123 »

Treasuries is a bit tricky.  I've used two methods.  

The old way:
  • On an arbitrary day, lookup price of TLT. For the same day, find out the price of each of my 30 year treasuries
  • Create spreadsheet entries for each 30 year treasury that adjusts their current value according to the amount TLT has changed
This approach has the benefit of simplicity, but several problems:
  • TLT maturity and the maturity of my treasuries is different, so interest rate changes will cause proportionally different changes to valuation
  • Average maturity of TLT doesn't change, maturity of each individual treasury I hold does (it goes down, day by day), causing yet more distortion

The new way:
  • Get current 30 year treasury yields - I use Yahoo for this: =index(importhtml("http://finance.yahoo.com/bonds", "table",K73),8,2).
  • Use the =Price() function in GoogleSpreadsheets to calculate the actual price of my bonds, based on their coupon and maturity. Here's a link to a Google Spreadsheet that anyone should be able to view that shows how I do this - I only included 02/19/2039 Treasuries, but it should be obvious how to do different dates: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CL_6pMsD
I am currently using the new way and pretty happy with it.  It does not exactly align with what Vanguard tells me each bond is worth, but it is close enough, and is automated, which I really like.

I cannot take credit for the use of Price() for calculating Treasury values - someone on Bogleheads suggested it.  My contribution was combining it with the current bond prices of Yahoo to automate it.
Last edited by fnord123 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian

Post by julian »

What are ppl using to track the PP that takes into accnt dividends from TLT & VTI when calculating performance. Google finance just adds the dividend to cash but does not use it to calculate performance
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

julian wrote: What are ppl using to track the PP that takes into accnt dividends from TLT & VTI when calculating performance. Google finance just adds the dividend to cash but does not use it to calculate performance
Kapitall.com and SmartMoney.com do a good job with reinvesting dividends as they happen. But those sites have some minor issues with historical dividend calculating. SmartMoney.com has the only real-time portfolio chart that I'm aware of. It's pretty amazing to see the PP remain stable, every minute of the day, in real time.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
fnord123
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fnord123 »

julian wrote: What are ppl using to track the PP that takes into accnt dividends from TLT & VTI when calculating performance. Google finance just adds the dividend to cash but does not use it to calculate performance
I just manually add new entries to my spreadsheet of all PP-related transactions, once a month or so.  This takes less than 10 minutes and satisfies my obsessive-compulsive need to know exactly how well the PP is working for me.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

fnord123 wrote: I cannot take credit for the use of Price() for calculating Treasury values - someone on Bogleheads suggested it.  My contribution was combining it with the current bond prices of Yahoo to automate it.
A belated thanks for laying this out.  I never could get the prices to come out quite right to match what Fidelity was saying but it's still neat to be able to do it.

Now to just convince all of these financial sites to never, ever move their HTML tables around in any way.  :)
julian

Post by julian »

Just want to add that I have a Bloomberg machine and the smart money portfolio blows it a way & you can see it on ur phone!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

for anyone who is interested.... for open-office you can get an extension called "get quote" http://getquote-tedsoft.blogspot.com/
that will grab stock quotes from yahoo finance.  the cell would be =GETQUOTE("SHY") or =GETQUOTE("A1") (if cell A1 was SHY or some other stock symbol)
Last edited by l82start on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

O...M...G... for those of you trying not to check your PP too often - Do not, I repeat, DO NOT setup a SmartMoney.com portfolio and then proceed to go to that page while the market is open...

Watching realtime gain/loss in dollars is like crack if you are a compulsive portfolio checker like I am.  This morning I spent a good 10 minutes just staring at the $ counter like a gambling addict watching a slot machine payout... it is bad.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Storm wrote: Watching realtime gain/loss in dollars is like crack if you are a compulsive portfolio checker like I am.  This morning I spent a good 10 minutes just staring at the $ counter like a gambling addict watching a slot machine payout... it is bad.
Ha ha, so very true.  It's really nicely presented and just so... fun to watch.  I only allow myself to check on the PP once per month but when I do, I always like to take at least a few seconds to watch those cool charts.

I also have several "play" portfolios on there that I allow myself to check whenever I want.  For example, I put together a "2x leveraged" version of the PP based on Wonk's formulation for a little entertainment value.  (Note that I do not invest in a leveraged PP with one red cent of real money!)
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Gumby wrote: I avoid looking at my portfolio specifics as much as I can, but once in awhile I'm curious to see which asset is holding up the portfolio at any given time. I just bookmark the following URL:

http://www.google.com/finance/chart?cht ... hy&tlf=12h

and that gives me a quick real-time peek at the PP — if I want to take its pulse.
It looks like Google has updated the way it calls URLs. They seem to be locking out multiple stock comparisons in the same static URL-based chart.

As a replacement for the URL described above, you can use Yahoo to peek at the short term asset comparisons. Here is a simple example of how you build the chart in your browser:

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=TLT& ... &c=GLD,VTI

...which gives you the following real-time chart:

[align=center]Image[/align]

To customize the chart, use these query string parameters in the URL:

z=[size]    (s m l)
t=[time]    (1d 5d 1m 3m 6m 1y 2y 5y my)
c=[ticker]  (GLD TLT VTI)
q=[type]    (bar line candle)
Last edited by Gumby on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
bigamish

Post by bigamish »

Gumby,

Thanks for this!  I really miss the Google version of the chart you brought to our attention.  That was pure gold!

The yahoo version, although not as "clean", will have to do. :(
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

I preferred the Google one as well (it fit neatly into a corner of my Mac's Dashboard). I'll keep my eye on their URL patterns to see if it will ever be possible again.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Clive wrote: Sometimes individual tickers seem to cause a no chart return for a day or two.

The Canadian set

http://www.google.com/finance/chart?cht ... SB&tlf=12h

and excluding both TLT and GLD

http://www.google.com/finance/chart?cht ... HY&tlf=12h

still work.
Nope. The second chart no longer works for me, here in the US (at least not today). We just see a "No Chart Available" on that second image. Hopefully it's temporary.
Last edited by Gumby on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Clive wrote: I see all four of these OK (excepting TLO just having price data up to 1pm) http://www.google.com/finance/chart?cht ... hy&tlf=12h

and suspect the others will all come back again in a day or so
It seems to be working again. Thanks, Clive!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Gumby wrote: I avoid looking at my portfolio specifics as much as I can, but once in awhile I'm curious to see which asset is holding up the portfolio at any given time. I just bookmark the following URL:

http://www.google.com/finance/chart?cht ... hy&tlf=12h

and that gives me a quick real-time peek at the PP — if I want to take its pulse.

It looks like this:

(VTI is red, GLD is yellow, TLT is blue and SHY is green).

I find that occasionally glancing at those squiggly lines allows me to go a few weeks without checking my actual portfolio numbers. It's a bit like peeking at the drizzling code of the Matrix. And by only glancing at this URL I avoid looking at financial websites and their meaningless time-consuming articles. It's still a little addictive though, but at least it allows me to be more detached from my detailed PP performance.

Hint: You can change that URL to pretty much any array of securities — you just have to remember which color corresponds to each security.
This is beautiful. Even though I spent a lot of time creating google doc spreadsheets, I'm going to try to pull away from them for 29 days a month and just look at this.
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

Which can you recommend for non-US residents investing in the US market?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

This is just of historical interest, but many years ago I wrote a program to do that for the TRS-80, and HB even mentioned it in his newsletter. I don't think I sold any copies, though.