Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No where to hide

Post by Desert » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:46 am

dualstow wrote: You need a snortfolio.
;D

The hedonistic excesses that Craig and MT are wallowing in will one day end ... but meanwhile, I will sit in this rocking chair, rocking back and forth, cursing their names. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:40 am

MediumTex wrote:
craigr wrote:
MediumTex wrote: Yeah, where are those guys?

I heard that one of them ran off to Japan for awhile.
I'm sorry but my satellite comms on my globetrotting yacht was down for a few days so I couldn't post.
Whoa dude, you only have one yacht?

I bought a yacht for every member of my family.  I named them the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria, the Palais Aqua, and the J-Law PP Pimp Pod.

I'm like L. Ron Hubbard sans the 501(c) tax exempt status.

And the groupies...don't even get me started.  I'm thinking about buying another yacht just for them.  I'm going to call it "Browne Skeazin".
Look! They're alive!!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:56 am

Desert wrote: The hedonistic excesses that Craig and MT are wallowing in will one day end ... but meanwhile, I will sit in this rocking chair, rocking back and forth, cursing their names.
Didn't Harry Browne's radio ad used to say,
You can curse me online, or print out your curse and invoke it in your easy chair.
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:49 pm

MediumTex wrote: And the groupies...don't even get me started.
Say no more! Perhaps you have forgotten this, but it was the implied promise of groupies that fueled the bidding war for the two moderator positions back in '13.  The winning bids were quite high, as I recall, but well worth it.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 pm

mathjak107 wrote: they may end up severely under funded  for that luxury and that is the danger.
There is no alternative.  Load up on obscenely overvalued stocks?  Load up on longest duration T-Bonds while they're at a 5,000 year low in interest rates, soon to reverse course starting in the next few days?  Load up on a useless, barbarous lump of shiny metal that is no longer money, never will be again and will only have demand in that short period of time where confidence in government and the financial system has been lost but is still standing like a mirage?

Seriously man, you better plan for a SWR way below what you expect historically because neither stocks nor bonds are going to offer that for the next 17 years.  Again, what is the alternative?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:32 pm

unconventional times may call for unconventional investing and i think integrated strategy's  using spia's and perhaps life insurance with your own ivesting may be the new answer for the new times for retirees  .

dead body's are a lot more predictable then markets and rates .

research is showing very good results with integrated  strategy's 
Last edited by mathjak107 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Reub wrote: Wasn't it nice when we had the two people who started this website always posting on here (and on the Bogleheads site beforehand) and they were always promoting, explaining and defending the PP? Why did they stop? I miss that!
They jinxed it by releasing a book!  Just as I feared at the time.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:42 pm

buddtholomew wrote: In your eyes, the PP can do no wrong. Why don't you admit that it is not working as expected. Down 2/4 years or 50% of the time I have been invested.
If the PP is too risky for you as it is for me, I have come up with an alternative: the PP Jr.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:43 pm

MediumTex wrote: Yeah, where are those guys?

I heard that one of them ran off to Japan for awhile.
I thought it was Argentina?

And then one of them fled with his ill gotten cash to legally immigrate to New Zealand (of all places!).

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm

mathjak107 wrote: unconventional times may call for unconventional investing and i think integrated strategy's  using spia's and perhaps life insurance with your own ivesting may be the new answer for the new times for retirees  .

dead body's are a lot more predictable then markets and rates .

research is showing very good results with integrated  strategy's
I hope you start a new thread on this.  I've always been big on diversifying within the asset classes because human fads are unpredictable to be caught being dead all in one.

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:51 pm

i didn't plan on it , i get enough grief here  ha ha ha 
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:36 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
buddtholomew wrote: In your eyes, the PP can do no wrong. Why don't you admit that it is not working as expected. Down 2/4 years or 50% of the time I have been invested.
If the PP is too risky for you as it is for me, I have come up with an alternative: the PP Jr.
If you are going to make a statement like this, how about elaborating on what exactly it means? Without substance, the statement is just blather.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."