The Reason to Quit PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by Jack Jones » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:00 pm

MachineGhost wrote: Paper and electrons are only good for wiping your ass if the government or financial system collapses.  Do you realize how lucky you are and have been being an American in the century that just passed?  That's what I mean by you suffering from a severe recency bias.  You simply lack historical context of how bad it was for others who did not have your luck.
In 1940, when the Soviet Union occupied Latvia, my grandfather's family was forced out of their homes. I'm not sure what happened to their paper assets during that time, but my guess is that they were worthless. They certainly lost 100% of their real estate assets. Many were deported to Siberia (to die), but fortunately (for my existence) my grandfather made it to Austria.

This little bit of family history helps me appreciate the importance of:

1. Holding a portable store of value as part of my asset allocation
2. Keeping some of it outside the country
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 pm

there are always storys out there about those that bought their way out  but there are far more stories of folks who were robbed or killed for it .  in these cases guns and bullets are far better ,.


i think we beat this to death enough  with the what if's . you like gold , buy gold . it is your choice .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 pm

i will just say this , before you worry about having gold to insure your survival , what have you done to protect  the real possibility's in life like long term care protection or even insuring your income flow when you retire if things do not go well with markets and rates ?

while wasting time talking about the remote flyers most foljks have zero plans in place for protecting against the very possible events in life .
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10054
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:21 pm

mathjak107 wrote: i will just say this , before you worry about having gold to insure your survival , what have you done to protect  the real possibility's in life like long term care protection or even insuring your income flow when you retire if things do not go well with markets and rates ?

while wasting time talking about the remote flyers most foljks have zero plans in place for protecting against the very possible events in life .
I hate to break it to you, but not everyone is superrich like you.  So we do what we can to mitigate all possibilities that we can actually do.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:36 pm

i wish i was super rich . we are retired in nyc where a middle class lifestyle takes  low 6 figures in comparison to those city's down south or out west .

but don't you think you should be  adding whatever insurances you feel are important by likely hood of playing out ?  to me protecting from such things as needing extended  long term care  and protecting the stay at home spouse  is far more important than buying gold to protect a remote financial calamity if you are telling me gold is an insurance and not an investment . .

get my point ?  if you are claiming gold is insurance to buy freedom , there are a lot more logical things in life that need better protecting because odds are if you are a couple one of you will need care .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10054
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:07 pm

mathjak107 wrote: get my point ?  if you are claiming gold is insurance to buy freedom , there are a lot more logical things in life that need better protecting because odds are if you are a couple one of you will need care .
I get your point, but gold is the insurance against those insurance contracts, the paper asset based financial system aka FIRE economy.  When people lose confidence in FIRE (or government), it is like a little boy plugging a hole in the leaky dyke with his thumb.  It won't work for long.  It doesn't do anyone any good to be all layered up in expensive paper without insurance against its failure.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 am
Location: bayside queens ny
Contact:

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:11 pm

all well and good but  one needs to rethink the insurances they lack that are far more likely outcomes before going farther out on the fringe . not having some sort of real workable plan in place for ltc can leave a spouse impoverished . even long term disability insurance would be at the top of the list before  other less likely outcomes .

the way i like to look at a comprehensive financial plan is to have at the base of the pyramid the various insurances i feel are important to protect and mitigate catastrophic damage to the the assets above it .

then use a  bit of the return to pay for that insurance . so step 1 is really to make sure you have the insurances all covered in order of likely hood that you feel are important .

personally i would not put a dime in gold until i had some sort of plan in place for LTC  if gold was my insurance  against other things ..  especially because my dad spent 6 years in a home and it was a horror for his wife .

so if gold is insurance then you have to treat it like you would any of your insurances and the odds of events  happening are important in  the comparison to other things as far as what to insure against if you can't do everything you feel is  risk ..

if it is an investment then you have to grade it as such which long term has been quite poor , so you have to rethink it if that is your goal .
that to me is far more real then buying my way to china

just some food for thought if you are considering the pp not an investment but a comprehensive protection package .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by frugal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:01 am

Hello,

what type of value ( apart from gold and cash ) can we keep at home as safety?

Regards
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10437
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by dualstow » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:25 am

mathjak107 wrote: personally i would not put a dime in gold until i had some sort of plan in place for LTC  if gold was my insurance  against other things ..  especially because my dad spent 6 years in a home and it was a horror for his wife .
You're making this sound way worse than it is. Financially speaking: anyone who accepts the pp also finds it acceptable to leave to his or her spouse. Gold is a part of the pp. My GTU can be willed along with stocks. Home: My wife has a key to the safety deposit box at the bank and is willed the gold. Done.
Last edited by dualstow on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by Desert » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:34 am

frugal wrote:

Hello,

what type of value ( apart from gold and cash ) can we keep at home as safety?

Regards
I would go with a large collection of medium-priced wine. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10054
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 pm

frugal wrote: what type of value ( apart from gold and cash ) can we keep at home as safety?
Junk silver coins.  Diamonds, especially colored.  Bitcoins.  Doomsday Prepper items (toilet paper, Ivory Soap, liquor, antibiotics, herbal extracts, gums, ammo, etc.)

I just bought a bag of junk silver, in fact.  Now I need a carton of Ivory Soap...  will Amazon Prime fulfill my wish?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2456
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: The Reason to Quit PP

Post by l82start » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:36 pm

why ivory soap? does it have a special survival value i don't know about?
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Post Reply