NEW FORUM HOST

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: NEW FORUM HOST

Post by dualstow »

lol. I'm sorry you had to go through that, Tex. You should watch the South Park episode about virtual reality. The tech support guy is right up your alley!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

MediumTex wrote:I'm so happy the forum is back up.

I felt like Arvixe was just messing with me toward the end. Nothing against Indian tech people in theory, but the ones I dealt with were remarkably incompetent.

I'm imagining what some of those folks might be like if they were brain surgeons:

"So, thank you for visiting our hospital today. It will be my pleasure to operate on your brain. If we can be of any assistance in restoring your brain to normal capacity, you may contact us any time 24 hours a day."

And then the surgeon leaves the room and you never see him again. As your brain condition worsens, you receive a customer service survey asking if your brain surgery met all of your expectations.

You'll be happy to know the new provider has very quick responding Russians vs. incompetent Indians.

Sure, they're going to steal our credit card numbers. But at least they'll be using them to buy hot Russian hookers and vodka.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I worked in an office for several years with a Ukrainian tech support guy.

When he began to grow frustrated with you or your problem, he would hiss "re-boot" in his thick accent in a tone that a doctor might use when telling a patient he was going to die.

That guy also had several scars from bullet wounds in his arm and shoulder from his deployment as part of the Soviet army in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Hardcore.

I'm fine with Russian tech support.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Is there any global RSS feed for new replies to any topics? I found that very useful.

Is there otherwise any simple way you guys use to wade through and find new posts? Subscribing to all forums ends up generating a lot of emails, none of which contain anything other than a link and that there was a new post.

Thanks.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

You can turn off the notification emails, and there's a "New Posts" button at the top of every page (Next to "Search," and under "Members").
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

How do you turn off the e-mails?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

jafs wrote:How do you turn off the e-mails?
Go to your User Control Panel.
In the current set-up, that's the person icon to the right of the question mark near the top right corner of your screen.
Click that, then Control Panel.

Make your way to Board Preferences (tab).
There, you'll see some Yes/No email options.

After that, click Edit Notification Options.
You can uncheck boxes in the Email column.
---
And finally, you can unsubscribe topics.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

Thanks - I did that.

We'll see if I got it right :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

jafs wrote:Thanks - I did that.

We'll see if I got it right :)
You'll know if you get a confirmation ema-
oh, never mind. ;-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote:Also, can anyone tell me under what circumstance this smilie would be appropriate to use? O0
I'll keep an eye out for the issue you mentioned.

As for the smilie, I already used it in the pot thread. I was feeling kind of Jonah Hill / Superbad.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

What's up with the DNS? gyroscopicinvesting.com is still resolving to a home directory on a static IP address.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Pointedstick wrote:What's up with the DNS? gyroscopicinvesting.com is still resolving to a home directory on a static IP address.
That doesn't sound like a DNS problem. It sounds like the web host is redirecting us to that weird URL.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

DNS is still being worked on. We need to get something straightened out before it can be moved. Right now it is being redirected to here.
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

Phpbb/this theme are most readable on the small phone screen. That's a nice improvement.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Yeah, overall this seems like a far superior platform. Thanks again!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

What's the difference between Sent messages and Outbox?

Like my Inbox was before, my Outbox is out of space: Folder is 626% full (313 out of 50 messages stored)

Is this a problem? I am not going through 20 pages just to delete 16 at a time in an burdonsome process. I think some kind of admin cleanup command needs to be run to remove all these ghost messages marked as deleted.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Domain transfer is in progress. It will take several days but hopefully all goes smoothly and the domain will go straight here without the redirects I'm using now.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

MachineGhost wrote:What's the difference between Sent messages and Outbox?

Like my Inbox was before, my Outbox is out of space: Folder is 626% full (313 out of 50 messages stored)

Is this a problem? I am not going through 20 pages just to delete 16 at a time in an burdonsome process. I think some kind of admin cleanup command needs to be run to remove all these ghost messages marked as deleted.
Usually the outbox contains the messages you sent but have not yet been read by the recipient. After they have been read, they are moved to the sent box. With the transfer, all of the sent messages appear to have been copied to the outbox. I just deleted mine.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewskers

Post by Drewskers »

Apparently I was on an extended camping trip out in the middle of nowhere when whatever happened here, happened. When I got back my trip and couldn't find the forums, I tried the Crawling Road blog and saw it had been shut down. I assumed the forums had been too. Well I had a couple of beers tonight and I'm wasting time and I thought to google "permanent portfolio forum" and I just found the new old forums. My login even works, hooray! :D

It seems odd to me there's no forwarding from the old forum to the new, then again I see a bunch of techno jabber in this thread that maybe explains that, I'm not sure. Anyhow, hello again!

ps. Is there (or will there be) an RSS feed for this new forum? I used to follow new posts via Feedly, but can't seem to find an RSS for this forum now.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

MangoMan wrote:
MangoMan wrote:When I click on the unread post icon [red] preceding a topic with unread posts, about half the time I get to the next unread post, but the other half of the time I get sent to the correct page, but 3 or 4 posts back. This is even happening with topics I read to the end on the day before and then noew posts have been made since my last visit.

Is anyone else having this issue?

This issue still persists. Am I the only one? Any idea how to fix it? So annoying!!

i have not had this happen so at the moment all i can offer is a couple best guesses, is your browser set to delete cookies, cache, off line website data, site preferences, when you exit? it could be a browser setting issue. i took a quick tour through the profile settings and don't see anything there that would be an obvious cause but there are some display settings that effect post order etc (board preferences - edit display options) that might have some effect if they have been changed around..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

that might be it then.... if the last post information is stored as a cookie or in cache it may be emptying if from your browser when you close it...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

l82start wrote:that might be it then.... if the last post information is stored as a cookie or in cache it may be emptying if from your browser when you close it...
Wisful thinking. I too have the same problem. It's a bug.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

MachineGhost wrote:
l82start wrote:that might be it then.... if the last post information is stored as a cookie or in cache it may be emptying if from your browser when you close it...
Wisful thinking. I too have the same problem. It's a bug.
entirely possible, could be a glitch in the template or a hiccup due to the transition that is still ongoing, all i can offer is some "best guesses" at this point...

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Hey craig, could you fix this? It's shorter than the old forum nor can I put in the size code.