General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

NEW FORUM HOST

Post by craigr » Sun May 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Hello,

We have a new forum host. DNS is being moved over so the IP address will go away after that happens in the URL.

Apologies for the delay, but the old forum hosting provider (Arvixe) was not repairing the DB and they had a lot of other problems. The new site should be a lot faster and hopefully more reliable.

If you have any problems with the forum, please let us know.

-- Craig

P.S. Yes, I see some characters from the backup are not showing correctly. They will just have to remain for now because the DB character sets have some problems after the restoration.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NEW FORUM HOST

Post by craigr » Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 am

After fighting with SMF and DB backups/restore, I decided to move to phpBB which didn't cause as much drama. The forum is being slowly upgraded with avatars, etc. But most users will have to reload theirs prior to the crash.

Additional plug-ins will come along that will have a lot more features than SMF so stay tuned.

Please report any forum errors/problems here so we can look into them.

Thanks.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks for all the effort, Craig!
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 am

Great to see the forum's back up and sincerely appreciate all the effort that went into it. Can't thank you enough, this community means a lot to me. :)

I don't mean to b*tch but will this current blue theme be the permanent one or will it eventually be replaced with another one? (Perhaps more similar to the one we had in the past?) I don't really like this one....
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon May 30, 2016 10:28 am

Great to see things up and running. Thanks!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon May 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Things are in flux. Just wanted to get something up. The theme, etc. may change. Right now I'm dealing with Russian spammers registering so I'm working on spambot countermeasures.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon May 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Geat job, craig!

I didn't see an RSS feed link, so please put that on the to do list.

I'm relieved there IS a "see all new posts" or "see all unread posts" function which was SMF's single greatest strength. It's up above on the left under Quick links. The only downside so far is after posting, you'll have to select it again instead of being brought back to the thread you replied.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon May 30, 2016 3:09 pm

The avatar part needs a serious ugrade. I had to shrink it by 77% and it was still too big!!! I'm a postage stamp now. :(
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon May 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Avatars are now 100x100 and 16K in size.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon May 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Much better, thanks!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon May 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Can you do something to radically change the theme and colors? I keep thinking I'm in the Boglehead forum and it makes me want to puke.

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon May 30, 2016 8:36 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Can you do something to radically change the theme and colors? I keep thinking I'm in the Boglehead forum and it makes me want to puke.
Maybe. The more I monkey with things the more likely there will be a future problem. But maybe colors will be played with. How about I make it look the interior of Breaking Bad's Winnebago?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Yeah here's another thumbs down for the theme. I really don't like how the badges for long threads are animated. It's super distracting. Overall the visual signal-to-noise ratio is high.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon May 30, 2016 11:22 pm

I updated the style. Honestly I don't have a ton of time to work on this. If anyone sees a phpBB style they'd like to try then post it here and we'll take a look.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 am

Looking less Bogleheadish, thankfully!!! Can we swap the user's details to the left? Also, how come the smilies don't show up as graphics?

How about this theme? It looks mobile friendly:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... implicity/

Or, if that's too garrish, a muter one:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... elegance2/

But wait, there's more:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/basic/

This one reminds me of SMF a bit:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... h_fresh_2/

Or, put on your beret and have a cafe experience:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/latte/

This one looks less graphic intensive:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... a_phantom/

Similar:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ltra_blue/

What's everyone think?

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 am

Is it me or does the fonts on this new theme seem blurry?

I also had to clear out all the deleted messages back to 2012 in my inbox to free up space for new ones. It was over 300% full. What a chore because you have to mark them all, delete, confirm and then click again to go back to the inbox after every page and you can only mark one page of messages at a time.

drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Tue May 31, 2016 9:17 am

Agree with MG that text looks a bit blurry. And of those themes linked, the second seems a good balance IMO.

Here's an article on how to configure to open links in new tabs: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/

Again, appreciate all the effort Craig. Don't see the "donate" link up top here, but perhaps someone can post it in this thread?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue May 31, 2016 9:47 am

Just testing to make sure I can post...
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am

Glad to have the forum back, and grateful to Craig for his efforts.

The text is fuzzy in places because this theme is applying a 1px text shadow. So when the theme situation gets settled down it's just a minor CSS tweak (or a different theme that doesn't have it).
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm

Ok I uploaded some new themes and activated them based on input above.

Other stuff like broken smilies, etc. will get fixed as I get time.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Thanks a lot Craig.

Dealing with Arvixe just about drove me crazy.

I would open a ticket with them, they would do nothing, and then I would be asked to complete a survey about whether the issue had been resolved.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Ah, this theme is much better!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Pointedstick wrote:Ah, this theme is much better!
Sure is. Quite legible!
No fuzziness.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue May 31, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm so happy the forum is back up.

I felt like Arvixe was just messing with me toward the end. Nothing against Indian tech people in theory, but the ones I dealt with were remarkably incompetent.

I'm imagining what some of those folks might be like if they were brain surgeons:

"So, thank you for visiting our hospital today. It will be my pleasure to operate on your brain. If we can be of any assistance in restoring your brain to normal capacity, you may contact us any time 24 hours a day."

And then the surgeon leaves the room and you never see him again. As your brain condition worsens, you receive a customer service survey asking if your brain surgery met all of your expectations.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Pointedstick wrote:Ah, this theme is much better!
Indeed, even the smilies are almost identical!

I don't like that the signature is same size (?) as the main body; it's hard to separate the two. We might need some more contrast or colors since its hard to see separate areas as well. But that's my only complaint so far.