Where to Start Out...

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

KaizenKings

Re: Where to Start Out...

Post by KaizenKings »

Took me about a year to wrap myself around this!!!

YEESHHH!!!

I am definitely not an expert at this stuff but I keep returning, learning, and will being to pull the trigger.

Ok NOW I understand why you can't go all in and just pick one portion of the PP! Thank you all for your insight! Thank you! Thank you!

Here are my choices:

20% Stocks: 95% VTI and 5% International VGTSX
20% Bonds: TLT. I NEED SOME HELP HERE: Sounds crazy, but I do not understand "rebalancing every 5-10 years? What does that mean? How do I do it? Also, I don't get how to do the whole Treasury Direct stuff? I tried researching it on the forum and it made me more confused. Is there a thread someone can guide me to?
20% PM: I own some physical silver and gold ounces and am slowly starting to stack. I will also occasionally invest in IAU/SGOL/PSLV
20% Cash: I NEED HELP Here Please: Which one do I pick and why? SHY? SCHO? SHV?
20% Misc: Will invest in some digital currency, tech stock, AI stocks, Cannibis stocks. My picks: GBTC (Bitcoin ETF), ETFMG (Marijuana ETF), GrubHub, ARKQ (AI chip stock), Uber stock, and IQ stock. Digital coins I will purchase: XRP, ETH, LTC, BNB, Link

I currently have about $20,000 saved in an 1987 American Funds 2050 Target Date R6 through my job that matches.

Breakdown: Employee PreTax: $6,800. Employer Matching: $4,500. ROTH: $8,000
I take about 6% of every paycheck and pay it towards my 401K Roth through my job.
I ATTACHED THE FUND INFO TO THIS POST IN A PDF
Attachments
American Funds 2050 Target Date.pdf
(45.69 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where to Start Out...

Post by Kbg »

Instead of TLT go with VGLT. Go with VGSH or SCHO for cash. These are all more cost effective.

You will need to figure out a rebalancing strategy...5-10 years probably isn't it.

Throw the bottom 20% into your "VP."

For the other 80%...consider it 25% to each asset class and either A) rebalance annually or B) when one of them gets to either 15% or 35% of the portfolio.

If you are still adding $$$ to the above 80%, then there are several threads for that. The simplest is to just add to the lowest percentage asset.