AI

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

senecaaa

AI

Post by senecaaa » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:22 pm

I love the PP/GB and 95% of my money goes there. But I am also a big believer in AI. AI will rule the world. And because in AI there is a known fact that the party who is in front will stay in front (and increase the lead) the obvious pick would be $GOOG.

So my strategy is: wait for the NASDAQ to drop like 20% and buy GOOG.

What do you think?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: AI

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Well, I am heavily into GOOG and GOOGL in that these shares constitute more than 11% of my individual stocks. I didn't intend to hold so much, but after selling once or twice, I decided to hold on.

The shares have really taken off and in this age of letting the share price "Berkshire Hathaway" its way up to US$200 or $1000 instead of doing stock splits, it's harder to trim a stock like Alphabet (GOOGL).

As anyone can tell you, I have held on for the most horrible of reasons.
But I also believe in the company and see no reason to sell unless one day I want to roll it into the total stock market.

Nvidia is also a good way to invest in AI (and in Bitcoin, without actually buying bitcoin).

When I saw your subject title, I thought this was going to be about roboAdvisors.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:24 am

senecaaa wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:22 pm
And because in AI there is a known fact that the party who is in front will stay in front (and increase the lead) the obvious pick would be $GOOG.
If you believe in AI, then what about Tesla?

I, for one, welcome our new self-driving overlords.
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:44 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:54 pm
Well, I am heavily into GOOG and GOOGL in that these shares constitute more than 11% of my individual stocks. I didn't intend to hold so much, but after selling once or twice, I decided to hold on.

The shares have really taken off and in this age of letting the share price "Berkshire Hathaway" its way up to US$200 or $1000 instead of doing stock splits, it's harder to trim a stock like Alphabet (GOOGL).

As anyone can tell you, I have held on for the most horrible of reasons.
But I also believe in the company and see no reason to sell unless one day I want to roll it into the total stock market.

Nvidia is also a good way to invest in AI (and in Bitcoin, without actually buying bitcoin).

When I saw your subject title, I thought this was going to be about roboAdvisors.
Well done, I need to buy a few shares as well. But since this is the variable portfolio I wait for a dip :-)
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:45 am

europeanwizard wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:24 am
senecaaa wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:22 pm
And because in AI there is a known fact that the party who is in front will stay in front (and increase the lead) the obvious pick would be $GOOG.
If you believe in AI, then what about Tesla?

I, for one, welcome our new self-driving overlords.
Yeah, Tesla is another potential wins-it-all.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 pm

I think Tesla will do or not do well based on how good its cars are. I don't see them as having any particular advantage vs. the other large auto manufactures, particularly now. Pretty much all these companies are all in on electric...of course like any sector some are better than others
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Tesla is a software company that makes cars. That might make a difference.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm

What's funny is that by investing in a total market fund, you have huge meta exposure to AI thanks to all the algorithmic trading.

That aside, you can always hold the tech heavy NASDAQ index. It's not specifically AI targeted, but it's probably the lowest cost way of getting strong exposure.

Also, I hate to be "that guy", but there's probably nothing anybody on this forum can surmise about AI that isn't already priced into the market.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm

True
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years