Is this the best website/forum for me?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is this the best website/forum for me?

Post by Smith1776 »

I don’t know about YTD, but I am down 9.5% since the highs of February. I’d give you YTD if I was on my desktop, but am on mobile.

This is with a Canadian PP using:

1) Vanguard global value factor etf (VVL)
2) Purpose Investments gold ETF (KILO.B)
3) Canadian long treasury etf (ZFL)
4) Canadian short treasury etf (ZFS)

I have a few slightly different PP implementations across a few different accounts. They are trailing basically in lockstep with each other so far.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Thanks.

Looking at PRPFX, that seems to be down a little under 20% for the year, and a little over 20% since 2/21 (when the Coronavirus crash started). Are there potentially some really high dividends that offset those losses? Or is PRPFX just a really poor take on Harry Browne's PP?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

CT-Scott wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 pm Thanks.

Looking at PRPFX, that seems to be down a little under 20% for the year, and a little over 20% since 2/21 (when the Coronavirus crash started). Are there potentially some really high dividends that offset those losses? Or is PRPFX just a really poor take on Harry Browne's PP?
PRPFX doesn't reflect what ended up being the final incarnation of Browne's ideas. It's got the same philosophical roots as the PP, but it's geared towards inflation, has significantly different implementation, has a relatively high MER, and is a little outmoded.

PRPFX still holds Swiss Francs, for instance. The Swiss Francs were originally held because that currency was backed by gold. But that gold backing has now been severed, so there's no real reason to still have them.

I'd pass on PRPFX personally and just go with the simple 4 x 25 setup.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 pmI'd pass on PRPFX personally and just go with the simple 4 x 25 setup.
Sorry if this is better explained already somewhere in these forums (if so, and you or anyone else can provide a link, that would be appreciated), but I'm curious how one can practically apply a PP or Golden Butterfly Portfolio (I haven't read up much on that yet, but I believe it's a popular thing here) inside of a typical 401k plan. My guess is that you could do the stock and bonds (and maybe "similar to cash" via a Stable Value fund). But you wouldn't find any sort of gold-equivalent inside of most 401k offerings. So then, is the expectation that you have to meet that 25% portion outside of a 401k?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

CT-Scott wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 pmI'd pass on PRPFX personally and just go with the simple 4 x 25 setup.
Sorry if this is better explained already somewhere in these forums (if so, and you or anyone else can provide a link, that would be appreciated), but I'm curious how one can practically apply a PP or Golden Butterfly Portfolio (I haven't read up much on that yet, but I believe it's a popular thing here) inside of a typical 401k plan. My guess is that you could do the stock and bonds (and maybe "similar to cash" via a Stable Value fund). But you wouldn't find any sort of gold-equivalent inside of most 401k offerings. So then, is the expectation that you have to meet that 25% portion outside of a 401k?
As a Canadian I have absolutely no knowledge of the mechanics of 401k plans and the like.

Is anyone on this forum who is more knowledgeable able to chime in?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

There has been tons of discussion here on what you ask. And, there have been many opinions offered. I don't believe that there is any consensus. Just as there does not seem to be a consensus of which of the four assets best belong in:

1) outside of retirement account
2) Traditional retirement plan (I'm assuming that is yours?)
3) Roth retirement plan

3 different tax treatments so different theories on how each of the four investments do or do not fit in each of the above three.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Some 401ks, like the one I have, allow you to have a self-directed brokerage portion where you can buy whatever stocks and ETFs that you want. In that portion, I can buy gold ETFs such as IAU or SGOL.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

One thing I hadn't thought to ask directly until now...

Seeing as PP was invented (?) by Harry Browne, and he was a known libertarian...does it follow that a large percentage of the PP community are also libertarian-leaning?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

CT-Scott wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:50 pm One thing I hadn't thought to ask directly until now...

Seeing as PP was invented (?) by Harry Browne, and he was a known libertarian...does it follow that a large percentage of the PP community are also libertarian-leaning?
That's probably a safe supposition. To be fair, the title of libertarian is pretty broad. I consider myself a libertarian, but I'm downright leftist compared to the truly hardcore.

For instance, I agree with Milton Friedman's assertion that regulation is desirable in cases where there are significant negative externalities in a marketplace (tragedy of the commons, environmental destruction, etc.). And Friedman was pretty much the most free-market oriented economist of the 20th century.

CT-Scott, would you consider yourself libertarian leaning?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 pmCT-Scott, would you consider yourself libertarian leaning?
I think I touched on this in my original post in this thread, but I can be pretty verbose, so I'll try not to be too offended if you (or others) skimmed past some of that. Yes, I definitely am. In fact, I sort of describe my philosophy as "Christian Anarchist." I'm not as well-read on libertarian ideologies as many others, so I probably can't name names as to who's philosophy I'm most aligned with. The dot-point history lesson and "fun facts" about me would probably be something like:

- Entrepeneurial from a young age (would buy a bunch of candy at my local drug store and sell it in grade school for a profit, despite it being against "the rules")
- Anti-imperialism / anti-war
- Learned about, and became a big fan of, Ron Paul during the 2008 presidential campaign
- Read about Harry Browne's PP sometime during that timeframe and held PRPFX in one of my 401k accounts for a while (but it didn't do very well for me as far as I can tell - I intend to start a thread asking why that was)
- Became a daily reader of Lew Rockwell's blog for a while (but don't follow it much these days)
- Learned about Stephan Kinsella, whose stance on "intellectual property" not being real property, I agree with (which I take extra pride in, because I'm a software developer and a "creative", so I'm not "supposed to" be anti-IP)

I've probably left out some important "fun facts."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

CT-Scott wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:42 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 pmCT-Scott, would you consider yourself libertarian leaning?
I think I touched on this in my original post in this thread, but I can be pretty verbose, so I'll try not to be too offended if you (or others) skimmed past some of that. Yes, I definitely am. In fact, I sort of describe my philosophy as "Christian Anarchist." I'm not as well-read on libertarian ideologies as many others, so I probably can't name names as to who's philosophy I'm most aligned with. The dot-point history lesson and "fun facts" about me would probably be something like:

- Entrepeneurial from a young age (would buy a bunch of candy at my local drug store and sell it in grade school for a profit, despite it being against "the rules")
- Anti-imperialism / anti-war
- Learned about, and became a big fan of, Ron Paul during the 2008 presidential campaign
- Read about Harry Browne's PP sometime during that timeframe and held PRPFX in one of my 401k accounts for a while (but it didn't do very well for me as far as I can tell - I intend to start a thread asking why that was)
- Became a daily reader of Lew Rockwell's blog for a while (but don't follow it much these days)
- Learned about Stephan Kinsella, whose stance on "intellectual property" not being real property, I agree with (which I take extra pride in, because I'm a software developer and a "creative", so I'm not "supposed to" be anti-IP)

I've probably left out some important "fun facts."
My apologies. Yes, I do recall from your original post now.

You will fit right in here, and I hope you've found a warm welcome so far. I was a big supporter of Ron Paul myself, too.

I'm a software developer as well. I've primarily been educated in web development using Ruby on Rails, React, and Express technologies. I am currently learning cyber security. Maybe we can collaborate on some fun stuff sometime.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

CT-Scott wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 am
Anyway, please advise if you think these forums would be a good place for me, or if you know of other forums that could be a better match. Thanks!
Welcome Scott. I have only one question. What is the PP, never heard of it? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.