Is this the best website/forum for me?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Is this the best website/forum for me?

Post by CT-Scott »

Hello everyone,

I used to be a member here a long time ago, but it looks like my account got deleted, likely from a change in forum software at some point. My old account name was "Scott R". So I signed up anew. But I'm not entirely certain if this is the "best" forum for me, so I figured I'd start with an introductory post along with some questions.

So, I was/am also a member of the bogleheads forum, which I think I've seen some people mention, so I'm guessing it's not against the rules to mention it. Hopefully recommending other specific forums is also not against the rules. On that note, one of my criteria for a good forum for me, is one that isn't overly-moderated. That's one of my biggest complaints with the bogleheads forum. In fact, as I write this, I'm under a temporary 1-day ban for posting something in their "Coronavirus and the market" thread that a moderator decided wasn't market-related enough, so they not only deleted my post, they also temporarily banned me. This is the last straw for me, because I also had a thread of mine locked (if anyone's interested, I can post a link to it).

I believe in treating people respectfully, but I have a thick skin, and if I get a jab here or there, I don't take it personally, but also don't mind "giving it right back." Basically, I don't mind "taking it" on occasion, so long as I'm allowed to "dish it" back. But hypocrisy is a big problem for me, so if I'm being "moderated" for things that others are not, that's a big problem for me. I'm libertarian-leaning (I actually refer to my philosophy as being a Christian Anarchist), and many years ago I ran a few websites (gadget/technology-related) with forums (phpBB in fact) and prided myself on moderating the forum *extremely* minimally, treating people like adults, and letting people disagree and debate, so long as things didn't get too ugly.

While I've been a member of that other forum for a long time, I never considered myself to be a "boglehead." I just happened to find that forum at a time when I was looking for some financial advice, and appreciated that there were a lot of people there financially smarter than me. The idea of investing my 401k in index funds and the total stock market made a lot of sense to me at the time. And setting some sort of risk-tolerance-based AA made sense. But I also felt/feel that sometimes you have an intuition or knowledge about certain industries or specific companies, so I also want an approach that doesn't frown upon buying specific individual stocks, or engaging in what others might brand as "market-timing" (though rarely and in the most extreme of scenarios - yes, I'm talking about the Coronavirus). So, just looking at the FAQ for this "Variable Porfolio" subforum, it sounds like this could be a good place for me (or, at least, a better place than that other forum).

As I mentioned, I'm libertarian-leaning and I used to have an account here, and in my text file where I keep my website passwords, I had it noted that this forum was for the discussion of the "Harry Browne Permanent Portfolio". So, I imagine that I happened upon this forum around the time I had also bought that book by Harry Browne. I suspect that this was somewhere around Ron Paul's 2008 presidential campaign (he "cured my apathy" at the time, and then when he was robbed of being given a chance, my apathy returned).

I'm currently a 48-year-old software developer who has been "working for the man" most of my life, but I've always had an entrepeneurial spirit, and still have on life support a side-business I started a long time ago, first with the intent of creating websites, but which also briefly served as the company I billed through when I worked as an hourly contractor (software development and business/systems analysis) for a few years. I had been thinking recently (just before the Coronavirus got real) that I'd like to re-start the web design side of things for fun, some side-money, and hopefully grow it into something more than that. Where I'm going with this is that I'm probably of the FIRE mentality, such that I'd like to get myself (and/or my wife) to a place where we don't *need* to "work for the man" and rely on a high salary every year, but can instead have more freedom to work (whether working for ourselves, or at least working for "some other man" on things we are more passionate about), even if it means making a lot less per year. To that end, we've also been talking a lot more over the last year or two about selling our house, downsizing, and trying hard (which is very, very hard for us) to live a *lot* lower below our means.

Anyway, I'm a pretty open book with sharing lots of personal and financial details. I have a lot of "ideas" that I like to toss around and open up for discussion/critique.

Anyway, please advise if you think these forums would be a good place for me, or if you know of other forums that could be a better match. Thanks!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is this the best website/forum for me?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

CT-Scott wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 am
So, I was/am also a member of the bogleheads forum, which I think I've seen some people mention, so I'm guessing it's not against the rules to mention it. Hopefully recommending other specific forums is also not against the rules.
LOL
more stuff
I think you'll be fine here.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is this the website/forum for me?

Post by stuper1 »

I'm not a moderator here, but it seems to me that you can talk about anything here as long as you are respectful to others. This forum seems to have few rules other than that. Not everyone here follows the Permanent Portfolio. Some people don't even follow anything remotely close to the PP.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Thanks for the replies! That's good to hear.

If anyone's bored, they can take a look at the thread I started (which was later locked) that discusses what I did in response to the coronavirus concerns. The thread turned into a multi-page thread and there's a lot of clutter with the back-and-forth among the boglehead-faithful, but there are also some added details about my personal life situation buried in some of those pages:

Thinking about (temporarily) moving all *retirement* stock to bonds - please help
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 1&t=305106

* For anyone who doesn't want to bother reading, I ended up moving the money to Stable Value funds and Money Market accounts.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

CT-Scott wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 am Hello everyone,

I used to be a member here a long time ago, but it looks like my account got deleted, likely from a change in forum software at some point. My old account name was "Scott R". So I signed up anew. But I'm not entirely certain if this is the "best" forum for me, so I figured I'd start with an introductory post along with some questions.

So, I was/am also a member of the bogleheads forum, which I think I've seen some people mention, so I'm guessing it's not against the rules to mention it. Hopefully recommending other specific forums is also not against the rules. On that note, one of my criteria for a good forum for me, is one that isn't overly-moderated. That's one of my biggest complaints with the bogleheads forum. In fact, as I write this, I'm under a temporary 1-day ban for posting something in their "Coronavirus and the market" thread that a moderator decided wasn't market-related enough, so they not only deleted my post, they also temporarily banned me. This is the last straw for me, because I also had a thread of mine locked (if anyone's interested, I can post a link to it).

I believe in treating people respectfully, but I have a thick skin, and if I get a jab here or there, I don't take it personally, but also don't mind "giving it right back." Basically, I don't mind "taking it" on occasion, so long as I'm allowed to "dish it" back. But hypocrisy is a big problem for me, so if I'm being "moderated" for things that others are not, that's a big problem for me. I'm libertarian-leaning (I actually refer to my philosophy as being a Christian Anarchist), and many years ago I ran a few websites (gadget/technology-related) with forums (phpBB in fact) and prided myself on moderating the forum *extremely* minimally, treating people like adults, and letting people disagree and debate, so long as things didn't get too ugly.

While I've been a member of that other forum for a long time, I never considered myself to be a "boglehead." I just happened to find that forum at a time when I was looking for some financial advice, and appreciated that there were a lot of people there financially smarter than me. The idea of investing my 401k in index funds and the total stock market made a lot of sense to me at the time. And setting some sort of risk-tolerance-based AA made sense. But I also felt/feel that sometimes you have an intuition or knowledge about certain industries or specific companies, so I also want an approach that doesn't frown upon buying specific individual stocks, or engaging in what others might brand as "market-timing" (though rarely and in the most extreme of scenarios - yes, I'm talking about the Coronavirus). So, just looking at the FAQ for this "Variable Porfolio" subforum, it sounds like this could be a good place for me (or, at least, a better place than that other forum).

As I mentioned, I'm libertarian-leaning and I used to have an account here, and in my text file where I keep my website passwords, I had it noted that this forum was for the discussion of the "Harry Browne Permanent Portfolio". So, I imagine that I happened upon this forum around the time I had also bought that book by Harry Browne. I suspect that this was somewhere around Ron Paul's 2008 presidential campaign (he "cured my apathy" at the time, and then when he was robbed of being given a chance, my apathy returned).

I'm currently a 48-year-old software developer who has been "working for the man" most of my life, but I've always had an entrepeneurial spirit, and still have on life support a side-business I started a long time ago, first with the intent of creating websites, but which also briefly served as the company I billed through when I worked as an hourly contractor (software development and business/systems analysis) for a few years. I had been thinking recently (just before the Coronavirus got real) that I'd like to re-start the web design side of things for fun, some side-money, and hopefully grow it into something more than that. Where I'm going with this is that I'm probably of the FIRE mentality, such that I'd like to get myself (and/or my wife) to a place where we don't *need* to "work for the man" and rely on a high salary every year, but can instead have more freedom to work (whether working for ourselves, or at least working for "some other man" on things we are more passionate about), even if it means making a lot less per year. To that end, we've also been talking a lot more over the last year or two about selling our house, downsizing, and trying hard (which is very, very hard for us) to live a *lot* lower below our means.

Anyway, I'm a pretty open book with sharing lots of personal and financial details. I have a lot of "ideas" that I like to toss around and open up for discussion/critique.

Anyway, please advise if you think these forums would be a good place for me, or if you know of other forums that could be a better match. Thanks!

If all you wrote is typical of you then I'd think you'd be an excellent addition here!

And, being so sports minded as I am I'd view it as one team (Bogle Heads) giving up on someone because that person's been perceived as some form of mal-content. But then after that person got on the right team (here) that person blossomed into a star.

We can never have enough "heavy hitters" here!

Welcome!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Thanks for the warm welcome Vinny! And a fellow "cat person" too! :)

I'm curious what the general demographic differences are like with this forum's members compared to the bogleheads forum members. I know that there's probably a very wide range of age, income, etc. over there, but it felt (maybe I'm wrong) like it was dominated by an older demographic. Not that there's anything "wrong" with that, but I'm just curious if it's similar here, or if it's noticeably different.

Whereas on the flip side, I'm sure there's probably a much younger demographic on sites like Mr. Money Mustache. As I mentioned, I'm sort of in the FIRE mindset, but in the past when I've perused that site, I found some of the Mr. Money Mustache vibe to be a bit extreme on certain topics (e.g., very opinionated about people who own SUVs, as just one example).
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

You'll fit in here just fine. I'm on the go at the moment so will have to keep this one brief.

Differences:

1) You will find a better investment philosophy here. Period. Nobody on this forum starts threads like this one, for instance.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 0&t=308819

2) People here are just plain nicer. It's a real community here, and it's my pleasure to consider all of the regular posters as friends. Even the "arguments" here are like a debate at the local pub with your buddies.

3) In tandem with the above -- it's a smaller group here so it doesn't feel like you're always chatting with strangers. You will get to know each of us, and that really helps the feel around here.

4) You won't find bizarre practices coming from moderators. The threads that get banned and the posts that get deleted on the Bogleheads forum... it's like the finance equivalent of the Chinese State Media. You can't have a conversation over there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, you have to watch the movie National Treasure at least once per year to maintain your forum membership. ^-^
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I feel like the age demographic at BH depends on whether you’re asking or answering. The askers tend to be younger, and those answering are often older. I would have said we skew younger here in 2010, but somehow 10 years went by. O0 BH definitely has way more traffic, so...plenty of young lurkers?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 pm You'll fit in here just fine. I'm on the go at the moment so will have to keep this one brief.

Differences:

1) You will find a better investment philosophy here. Period. Nobody on this forum starts threads like this one, for instance.

2) People here are just plain nicer. It's a real community here, and it's my pleasure to consider all of the regular posters as friends. Even the "arguments" here are like a debate at the local pub with your buddies.

3) In tandem with the above -- it's a smaller group here so it doesn't feel like you're always chatting with strangers. You will get to know each of us, and that really helps the feel around here.

4) You won't find bizarre practices coming from moderators. The threads that get banned and the posts that get deleted on the Bogleheads forum... it's like the finance equivalent of the Chinese State Media. You can't have a conversation over there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, you have to watch the movie National Treasure at least once per year to maintain your forum membership. ^-^
#3 is a big one for me. I've been active here since last fall. And, I delved greatly into many of old Topics and all their posts while keeping up on current posts.

As a result I believe I'd learned and retained a lot regarding many people here. Whenever I was on the Bogle Heads forum though I was never there as intensely as I am here it did not feel like I could ever achieve a similar knowledge of other participants as I have here.

It's somewhat like the difference between a small college experience (which I had my first two years at a school smaller than my high school) to finishing up at with 3 1/2 years at a 30,000 person university.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Great replies! Keep 'em coming.

So when I first started my initial post, I originally started to put it in the main "Permanent Portfolio" subforum, but then after clicking into this forum and reading the stickied FAQ, it seemed like this subforum might be the one where I'd get more likeminded people responding.

So, here's what I find interesting...It seems like the Permanent Portfolio approach (and even the Variable Portfolio offshoot) seems like a much more conservative/stable approach than the boglehead approach which seems to allow for people deciding that they're "fine having a high risk tolerance", regardless of whether their life situation and goals are compatible with that approach. That seems to be closely tied to the idea that "the stock market always trends upward given a long-enough forecast." So, part of me would think that the seemingly more-conservative PP approach would be more popular among "older" folks. Or...

Maybe the PP approach is just "smarter" and less "trusting" that the US government, the Federal Reserve, etc. will "take care of things" so it hedges things better? After all, this approach was pioneered by Harry Browne, who was a real libertarian.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on that side of things.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Is the PP approach smarter than loading up on stock and just white knuckling it while mumbling "stay the course" to yourself all day?

Unequivocally yes. O0

But in terms of what the substance of the PP really is -- it's not a portfolio that is for or against stocks. It is not a portfolio that trusts or distrusts government.

Rather, it's totally neutral. Why? Because Browne recognized the couple things that almost nobody else did: the future is inherently unknowable, and almost nothing turns out as expected.

He was truly a remarkable guy. He's an even greater investment figure than Benjamin Graham in my view, and that's saying a lot!

I have all of my money invested in the PP, and during this recent crisis I've been able to carry on my business as normal. My only problem is what to do with all this spare time that I have.

The boys on the Bogleheads forum? Check out the worrying and anguish in the thread I linked earlier. That isn't happening to any of us here. 8)
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

CT-Scott wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm Thanks for the warm welcome Vinny! And a fellow "cat person" too! :)

I'm curious what the general demographic differences are like with this forum's members compared to the bogleheads forum members. I know that there's probably a very wide range of age, income, etc. over there, but it felt (maybe I'm wrong) like it was dominated by an older demographic. Not that there's anything "wrong" with that, but I'm just curious if it's similar here, or if it's noticeably different.

Whereas on the flip side, I'm sure there's probably a much younger demographic on sites like Mr. Money Mustache. As I mentioned, I'm sort of in the FIRE mindset, but in the past when I've perused that site, I found some of the Mr. Money Mustache vibe to be a bit extreme on certain topics (e.g., very opinionated about people who own SUVs, as just one example).
Not mine but I thought both you and (at least) Dualstow would appreciate this picture I just came across.

Vinny
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.5 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

All I see in that picture is hibernating evil.

Just this morning I caught side of one of the neighborhood ferals setting up to take a shit in my freshly turned garden plot. So I set down my glass of wine (I am a degenerate) and grabbed my go-cup* and opened the door. It knew what it was doing was heinous, so as soon as it saw motion from my direction it took off like a shot. It's a constant battle.

*I keep a glass of water handy for splashing on the ferals when they're in my garden, on my porch, etc.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:02 pm All I see in that picture is hibernating evil.

Just this morning I caught side of one of the neighborhood ferals setting up to take a shit in my freshly turned garden plot. So I set down my glass of wine (I am a degenerate) and grabbed my go-cup* and opened the door. It knew what it was doing was heinous, so as soon as it saw motion from my direction it took off like a shot. It's a constant battle.

*I keep a glass of water handy for splashing on the ferals when they're in my garden, on my porch, etc.
I don't know what I have in my neighborhood.

I used to have ferrets. Their food is about the most expensive pet food you can buy.

I've not had ferrets for years but I still had some leftover food and I try to never let anything go to waste.

Tried to get my cats to eat it but they would not.

A few weeks ago I decided to put it in a bowl in my garage. And, every few days I have to refill the bowl. I don't know who is coming into my garage to eat it.

On a somewhat related note After I bought some fresh food on Tuesday I put the excess in boxes which I then put in my basement. And, then on the top box, which had an opening to its contents, I put some of that ferret food on top as an offering to any mice in my basement to keep them not interested in what WAS in the box.

But it's not getting eaten so I guess the murders of a few mice that my cats committed in the house over the winter has ended up with the mice sending out messages to all other neighborhood mice to avoid all places in this house and to go seek safer houses to search for food.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

My elderly neighbor also puts food out for the ferals. I don't necessarily want her to get coronavirus and die, because otherwise she's fairly pleasant, but that would probably cause the cats to starve and/or move out.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Okay, so it looks like a simpler answer is this is the best website/forum for you if you love cats.

This one is mine.

89688454_10101243251541966_3720365487146663936_n.jpg
89688454_10101243251541966_3720365487146663936_n.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

It's also the best website/forum for those like Krieg and me who are not cat fans.

Please, if you do have cats, keep them indoors.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:23 pm Okay, so it looks like a simpler answer is this is the best website/forum for you if you love cats.

This one is mine.

89688454_10101243251541966_3720365487146663936_n.jpg
I pronounce it a classic cat beauty!!!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 pm It's also the best website/forum for those like Krieg and me who are not cat fans.

Please, if you do have cats, keep them indoors.
I say keep them indoors ALL THE TIME!

I bought my house in 1982. Brought my, at the time, all-time favorite cat with me.

In the two years after then this is what happened to her.

Came home with a huge gash. Quick recovery.

My German Shepherd had her in his mouth and was shaking her around like a rag doll. Double hernia. Another quick recovery.

Disappears for a few days. I'm going out on a Sunday night. She's at my back step and purring. I'm thrilled she's back. But then I look and she's missing an eye! Take her to vet and the vet tells me that cats have an unbelievable tolerance for pain.

Finally she gets hit by a car in front of my house and dies.

All that in the space of just two short years!

A neighbor was with me when we discovered her dead, and I immediately said to him, "That's it! My cats are never again going outside."

I've since read that indoor cats live four to five years longer than those who go out.

And the vet bills have gone way, way down. The only things I've had since 1984 are worms (from catching mice in the house), a major flea outbreak in 1996 (don't know how the fleas got in), another flea outbreak after I foolishly brought in a stray for about a half hour, teeth cleanings, annual checkup visits, and the dreaded kidney breakdown which has killed several of my cats.

Vinny
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Well, I guess I have my question answered as to whether this forum is overly-moderated. It didn't take long for this thread to get derailed into a discussion about cats, and the mods haven't stepped in to delete any of those comments. Maybe I'll be wishing for *more* moderation later. ;)
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 pm 1) You will find a better investment philosophy here. Period. Nobody on this forum starts threads like this one, for instance.
Can you (or anyone) elaborate on this one?

Are you saying that someone following the PP wouldn't have lost as much as that guy did? Are you criticizing the "don't worry, no one could have predicted this...just keep staying the course" attitude that is common in the replies on that thread? Or are you talking about something different?
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

My mom has already 3 generations of cats running around (7 in total).
My dad and me are having a battle that we cannot win. It's like 300 vs the Xerxes army. Hope, they find a vaccine for this virus faster, so we can return back to the 'big city' .. One of the most annoying things I find in cats is that I can't predict in any means what do they have in their minds and what their next step would be. Maybe I do not understand deeply their mentality (and maybe its for my personal good).
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

CT-Scott wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:15 am Well, I guess I have my question answered as to whether this forum is overly-moderated. It didn't take long for this thread to get derailed into a discussion about cats, and the mods haven't stepped in to delete any of those comments. Maybe I'll be wishing for *more* moderation later. ;)
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 pm 1) You will find a better investment philosophy here. Period. Nobody on this forum starts threads like this one, for instance.

Are you saying that someone following the PP wouldn't have lost as much as that guy did? Are you criticizing the "don't worry, no one could have predicted this...just keep staying the course" attitude that is common in the replies on that thread? Or are you talking about something different?
CATS. Here is a pic of the cat I want.
Attachments
CM20190709-ab04f-a35bc.jpeg
CM20190709-ab04f-a35bc.jpeg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

CT-Scott wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:15 am Well, I guess I have my question answered as to whether this forum is overly-moderated. It didn't take long for this thread to get derailed into a discussion about cats, and the mods haven't stepped in to delete any of those comments. Maybe I'll be wishing for *more* moderation later. ;)

Welcome, I applaud you for keeping up with all those post in your thread on the other forum.
I admit I only read the first and last page.
I dislike typing the same thing over and over until it's a page long and may not even be read.

To me PP is a philosophy that can be discussed, improved depend on your factors (age, commitments etc.)
PP has a VP factor, So what is Stay the course with a VP.
PP is a Buy and Hold strategy. With a caveat of VP, so the equity traders may " not stay the course "

On final thought, Today in my Life and situation 60/40 is not a Conservative Portfolio for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

CT-Scott wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:15 am Are you saying that someone following the PP wouldn't have lost as much as that guy did? Are you criticizing the "don't worry, no one could have predicted this...just keep staying the course" attitude that is common in the replies on that thread? Or are you talking about something different?
Your first instinct is spot on!

Yeah, around here during this recent market crisis, what have we been doing? Discussing the Coronoavirus and talking about cats. O0

You don't see those kinds of massive losses and panic like in that thread.

"First off prayers and best wishes to all those physically or financially traumatized by our current crisis."
(Only concerning ourselves with the financial side of this quote obviously.)

"Bill Bernstein’s words keep me up at night."

"I am beating myself up..."

"I know it's hard but try to stay positive and stay the course!"

Absolutely not trying to make denigrating remarks about people who have lost money, but I just want to point out that there have been no such posts of the above kind here on this forum.

Craig used to say "Us Permanent Portfolio guys are whistling past a graveyard."
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:53 pmYour first instinct is spot on!

Yeah, around here during this recent market crisis, what have we been doing? Discussing the Coronoavirus and talking about cats. O0

You don't see those kinds of massive losses and panic like in that thread.
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.

OK, so there are probably variations based on how specific people align their fund options to match a PP, but can you (or anyone) give me a very rough approximation of the percentage that someone with a PP would be up/down YTD versus someone with say a 50/50 stock/bonds allocation (let's say something like VTSAX/VBTLX, or their non-Admiral Share equivalents)?