Trains?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trains?

Post by dualstow »

I don’t suppose there’s any way to invest in U.S. train travel now that air travel is going to suck even more than just after 9-11.

Can’t invest in Amtrak. Any angles?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trains?

Post by jhogue »

I wish long distance passenger rail could make a comeback in the USA, but I just don't see it. Too expensive and too slow, and too often too late. The exception is the Northeast, where Amtrak owns the rails, but there it is too crowded for the age of virus fear.

Instead, see the Wall Street Journal's article on "the summer of the RV." VW microbus campers and conversion kits stage a nostalgic re-run. Also drive-in movie theaters in more rural parts of the country.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Denver to Sacramento- and the return were fun. We just got Denver to Salt Lake City cancelled. We would be in Denver today.

A good Amtrak route is worth it and we were not horribly delayed. There are views not seen from a car. Europe trains are great, too.

Investing? When the Interstate highways paralleled the railroads, the passenger trains died. Heck, they just put the finishing touches on I-70, paralleling the Amtrak route.

Oh, do separate travel threads need to start: train, plane, cruise, USA, Europe, etc.?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

jhogue wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am ..

Instead, see the Wall Street Journal's article on "the summer of the RV." VW microbus campers and conversion kits stage a nostalgic re-run. Also drive-in movie theaters in more rural parts of the country.
Ah, used to invest in Winnebago. That was from a newsletter, once upon a time.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.