Stock Buybacks?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stock Buybacks?

Post by vnatale »

Any surprise that the politicians may be ALL wrong about something?

Vinny

Stock Buybacks Surge

Buybacks have been getting some political attention. Done right, though, they can be a good deal for shareholders.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/inves ... surge.html

"With companies having already spent $4.7 trillion over the past decade on their own stock, politicians are beginning to wonder if that money would be better spent elsewhere. Earlier this year, Senators Chuck Schumer and Bernie Sanders announced plans to introduce legislation that would require companies to meet conditions—such as paying a $15 minimum wage and providing certain health care benefits, including paid sick leave—before they could repurchase shares.

Large-scale buybacks, the senators argued in a New York Times op-ed, benefit major shareholders and executives at the expense of workers, and also divert corporate spending from research and development. Experts say such a bill would be unlikely to become law and question whether, in its current form, it would have the desired effect. “I get nervous when I see legislation that attempts to fix an ill in the corporate system by just addressing one part,” says Tamara Belinfanti, a professor at New York Law School who specializes in corporate governance. She says rules limiting stock buybacks wouldn’t necessarily prompt companies to deploy money in the way Schumer and Sanders want it spent."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stock Buybacks?

Post by boglerdude »

If your dividend is 3%/share and the Fed will loan you money at 1%, buy it all back and go private.