60-40 Portfolio Won't Prepare Investors for Retirement

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 60-40 Portfolio Won't Prepare Investors for Retirement

Post by mathjak107 »

here are some of the negatives to in service distributions

https://www.financialfinesse.com/2018/0 ... your-401k/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

mathjak107 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:42 am here are some of the negatives to in service distributions

https://www.financialfinesse.com/2018/0 ... your-401k/
Yes. I don't think you'd ever WANT to do it prior to 59 1/2. But afterwards, what could be the downside? Once you get it into your own IRA you can invest it any way that you want as opposed to being restricted to whatever your employer's plan allows.

I do note the four reasons the article lists but for most on this list I'd assume that the ability to have full control over your investment choices would far outweigh the possibilities of reaping any benefit from those four. But this is good information in case any of those four reason COULD possibly apply to someone or something valued. In my case, I'd make the in-service withdrawal.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

i am in the process of moving mine ...i had a one day a week job and threw my pay in the 401k and got matching . but that job ended with covid ...so friday i requested transfer papers
turbo8214
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by turbo8214 »

sophie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am Sadly no. I keep asking if in-service rollovers are allowed just in case the answer changes...it would certainly be helpful to roll it into my solo 401K which would allow me to continue making back-door Roth contributions.
I have the same issue.
It will have to wait until the job ends. IRA is in a PP tho.
turbo8214
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by turbo8214 »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:53 pm I hold a few shares of a low cost 60/40 balanced fund just for fun. I think with international diversification they should do fine. High valuations in U.S. stocks and bonds can be at least partially ameliorated with international allocations.
That sound similar to a Bogleheads 3-tiered portfolio.