Rhodium

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Rhodium

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 am

Wow. Rhodium was the bitcoin of metals? Really missed the boat on this one. Were there good etfs?

Was watching an old kitco video about silver joking about rhodium going over 10k and looked it up. Here we are around 20k.

https://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/rh1825lnb.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Rhodium

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 am

I know this is a very bogleheaded thing to say, but my only rhodium investment would be plating on a safety razor.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am

Not considering Rhodium and there are no good instruments in Europe as well... I was thinking why not get some Palladium (fed up with silver and gold ;D ). It has been in very nice sideway move since a while, so I bet there is a fun ahead. Not to say that investing in Palladium is the next thing I consider as gambling, following Vegas... As far as I can recall Platinum was used mainly in exhaust catalysts of diesel engines, while palladium in catalysts of petrol engines... given that diesel engines are planned to become things of the past, guess there is not much of a 'fundamental' ground in the recent Platinum's rise ... Haven't read anything about that - anyone any idea ?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am

Vil wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am
Not considering Rhodium and there are no good instruments in Europe as well... I was thinking why not get some Palladium
guess there is not much of a 'fundamental' ground in the recent Platinum's rise ... Haven't read anything about that - anyone any idea ?
Dungeons & Dragons? O0

I had forgotten about platinum in catalytic converters. I think Corning/GLW used to make those for the Germans, who didn’t think about the pollution until their Black Forest started to whither. (hearsay).

There’s an article in the WSJ on platinum that suggests it has risen, well, because it was considered cheap relative to gold.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/platinum-j ... 1613137081

Interesting.
Unlike palladium and rhodium, there is no shortage of platinum. Without demand from investors, the market would have been in a surplus last year, according to...
RIP Marcello Gandini
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:22 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am
There’s an article in the WSJ on platinum that suggests it has risen, well, because it was considered cheap relative to gold.
Thanks, yeah, that's crazy.. People are just wondering where to put the money they got out from bonds..
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:59 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am
Vil wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am
Not considering Rhodium and there are no good instruments in Europe as well... I was thinking why not get some Palladium
guess there is not much of a 'fundamental' ground in the recent Platinum's rise ... Haven't read anything about that - anyone any idea ?
Dungeons & Dragons? O0

I had forgotten about platinum in catalytic converters. I think Corning/GLW used to make those for the Germans, who didn’t think about the pollution until their Black Forest started to whither. (hearsay).

Interesting.
Unlike palladium and rhodium, there is no shortage of platinum. Without demand from investors, the market would have been in a surplus last year, according to...
I also get platinum in my chemotherapy treatments every few weeks. It has a thousand and one uses, it seems.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Interesting!
RIP Marcello Gandini
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:35 pm

I watched an interesting YouTube video of someone discussing trying to sell his rhodium bar.

He had a hard time finding a dealer willing to buy it but I believe he finally found one who had a big buyer lined up.