BTC in the PP

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BTC in the PP

Post by Jack Jones » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 pm
ArthurPooh wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 pm
Does it contain anything that already wasn't included within Moldbug's article that started the whole "Bitcoin as a store of value" argument?
I didn't know the name Moldbug until you just mentioned it. Is it this article?

https://www.unqualified-reservations.or ... is-bubble/
The tip jar at the end of the post has received 28.5 Bitcoin, worth $2 million today.

https://mempool.space/address/12jmAcfRp ... 5yDsYxHRiZ
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BTC in the PP

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Jack Jones wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:12 pm
Interesting property of Bitcoin is that, like other commodities, as the price rises, more miners come online because it is now profitable where it wasn’t before. Likewise, hard to access gold becomes more worthwhile to dig up.

However, with Bitcoin, the miners are competing for their share of daily supply. More miners coming online doesn’t lead to more Bitcoin on the market.

In contrast, when more gold miners come online, the supply of gold increases.

I believe this is a unique property of this commodity. The price is all about the demand.
I have a question about supply (I know you wrote about demand above, not supply), Jack.
Couldn’t one just keep dividing bitcoin ad infinitum and have it be worth more? I mean, gold can get pretty small, but once you get to a gram it becomes unattractive to own beyond that. Even fractional coins are a worse deal than one ounce coins.

Being intangible, Bitcoin can just keep dividing, right? Like a company adding more shares with a stock split.
Or is that fallacious thinking?
RIP Marcello Gandini