What Crypto Exchange Do Are You Using?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

What Crypto Exchange Do Are You Using?

Post by ppnewbie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:01 pm

I am struggling with what to choose. My work for some reason blocks coinbase and I like to do financial transactions behind a firewall. I also want to trade / invest in alt coins. I am struggling with this decision because I am a set it and forget it kind of person. Also I want to use binance.us but I am concerned about the fact that the exchange is not based in the US.

And I want to be able to talk to someone when I am doing things like ACH transfers and moving funds to and from accounts, in case something goes wrong. Also I need to use ACH transfers (no wire transfers).

Anyway - thoughts appreciated
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What Crypto Exchange Do Are You Using?

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Not exactly same direction you are referring to but you mentioned set it and forget it.

Maybe an ETF focused on crypto would be best. That also appeals to me. Let the companies in ETF decide what alt coins to mine and chase.

https://etfdb.com/themes/blockchain-etf ... esc&page=1

BKCH looks good at first glance. .5 % expense ratio. .27% premium.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 pm

Appreciate the suggestion but I want to put my BTC in hardware wallets. And the I have specific altcoins I want to buy and probably sell.

I also want the option to stake my coins.

I am keeping an open mind about the etf’s though.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 pm

I picked binance because it has every altcoin under the sun. However, I am pretty nervous about using it because i've heard that customer support is pretty bad and ultimately its not based in the US. I may pair it with coinbase or gemini and my own wallets.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:37 am

Whats wrong with Coinbase other than your employer blocks it? Just buy BTCs at your house, etc.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:50 am

I came to the same conclusion. I wanted to be behind my company firewall to make ACH transfers to the exchange. But after putting pretty much all my info into binance and binance still not verifying me. I realized that coinbase was the better place. Also I realized after the fact that binance.us does not have access to all the altcoins that binance.com has. Doh!

The only reason I am not doing a complete face palm on this is that I think it may be a good idea to have a few exchange accounts in case I want to buy something that is not available on coinbase. For example, I think Solana was available on binance.us before coinbase.

Anyway thanks for your input.