DIY Real Estate

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: DIY Real Estate

Post by boglerdude » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:49 pm

IF you are going to spend hours a day reading investment news, you probly are better off doing housing where you can get your boots on the ground and research neighborhoods, schools and contractors. VS trusting MSM stock tips and competing against millions of other investors online.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:01 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:49 pm

IF you are going to spend hours a day reading investment news, you probly are better off doing housing where you can get your boots on the ground and research neighborhoods, schools and contractors. VS trusting MSM stock tips and competing against millions of other investors online.

What you state about investing supports the Efficient Market Hypothesis. However, there is probably not a similar hypothesis regarding real estate so far greater potential for taking advantage of market inefficiencies.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
xmj

Post by xmj » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:23 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:01 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:49 pm
What you state about investing supports the Efficient Market Hypothesis. However, there is probably not a similar hypothesis regarding real estate so far greater potential for taking advantage of market inefficiencies.
There's no Reg FD either.

RE markets are heavily localized so knowing what other RE investors and the municipality are doing to your area will pay off.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:44 am

Real estate is pretty much local and personal….

There can be 50 homes for sale but if my wife doesn’t like them then how many homes are for sale is irrelevant.

My son has been looking for a bigger home in westchester for six months now ….every time he spots something with potential it ends up getting snatched by an all cash buyer .

So it isn’t there are no buyers , there are buyers but what there is , is a supply shortage of homes buyers want to buy