ARM (chip designer)

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

ARM (chip designer)

Post by dualstow »

Yes, there’s a lot of hype about ARM.
MediumTex once quipped that Intel was “printing money” when they printed circuits. And they were.

I think ARM has a bright future as they pivot into AI and compete with Nvidia.
Of course, even the shoeshine boy knows this. Still, I’m tempted to buy some and hold on. If I had done this with Facebook instead of listening to all the skeptical analysts, I would have made a nice profit.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: ARM (chip designer)

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:16 am Yes, there’s a lot of hype about ARM.
MediumTex once quipped that Intel was “printing money” when they printed circuits. And they were.

I think ARM has a bright future as they pivot into AI and compete with Nvidia.
Of course, even the shoeshine boy knows this. Still, I’m tempted to buy some and hold on. If I had done this with Facebook instead of listening to all the skeptical analysts, I would have made a nice profit.
ARM was the first stock I ever bought!!!

This was back in the fall of 2009 when I opened my first brokerage account. That really brings back memories.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

;D Well, are you going to buy it again? Inquiring minds want to know.
And are you sure that wasn’t AMD?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:23 pm ;D Well, are you going to buy it again? Inquiring minds want to know.
And are you sure that wasn’t AMD?
A quick stock screener search seems to show the stock was delisted in 2012? And now it's being re-IPO'd via Softbank or something along those lines?

I remember after I bought it I kept it for a while.. a few months maybe? I then sold it and used the capital towards attempting to learn day trading. After losing about half of my money in that foolhardy endeavour I put the money into Apple and kept it there for a while. It wasn't long until I doubled my money on Apple (thus breaking even). After doing so I withdrew my money and didn't do any serious investing for another couple of years.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Better to lose early, right? O0
Softbank bought ARM in 2016. Glad it's going public again. I definitely want a little piece.

Reading their wiki page, I see ARM acquired Obsidian, the note-taking software. Didn't know that.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:15 pm Better to lose early, right? O0
Softbank bought ARM in 2016. Glad it's going public again. I definitely want a little piece.

Reading their wiki page, I see ARM acquired Obsidian, the note-taking software. Didn't know that.
Definitely better to lose half of your money when all you've got is $6,000 versus being mid-career!

Oh yeah, that's the note taking software you had mentioned previously, right?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Perhaps. I use Standard Notes myself, but it’s got a lot of warts. Like, a *lot.*
I think Drafts (iOS) was the software I mentioned to you directly.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:16 pm
Perhaps. I use Standard Notes myself, but it’s got a lot of warts. Like, a *lot.*
I think Drafts (iOS) was the software I mentioned to you directly.

What do I use in my iPad ("Notes") that works quite well.

I could easily take notes in it and just as easily email those notes to myself.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Darn, it’s flying too high
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

In at 57.00. Just a nibble.

EDIT: losing money fast
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay »

Isn't ARM ... Advanced, Reduced instruction set computer (RISC), Machines already pretty much within everything electronic nowadays. From your phone, TV, TV remote controller, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, central heating controller, burglar alarm ...etc. Would have thought that the public listing was more a case of sell high for the prior owners, market peak, rather than potential significant upside/growth.

But then again, perhaps massive multiple concurrent processing may be the next step, instead of existing sequential processing. Lots of small/low power processors working as a collective rather than a central powerful core processor. Similar to a brain, billions of neurons (ARM chips) all firing at the same time. AI. I would imagine that they'll be stiff competition on that front however, perhaps with a current lessor competitor rising to fame/dominance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

The hope is that they’ll prove to be a competitor to Nvidia in AI. Hope is all it is at this point, hence the nibble-sized bet. Nvidia is well-entrenched, and ARM has not proven itself in the field of AI.
If Nvidia is overvalued, ARM is grossly overvalued.

BUT, I avoided Amazon because analysts said it wasn’t profitable. I avoided Facebook when analysts asked, How are they going to make money? I avoided Tesla when analysts said, This is a terrible company and is doomed. Maybe if they became a battery company…. *

I should have put this in the Moonshot thread. It’s a bit of money I’m willing to lose. I give up the same amount to health insurance every few months.

*Not only that, but I blabbed about it on this forum and then poor Greg (fka “inv3st0r”) sold what I think was a 4% stake in TSLA soon after 😭 (4% of his own total holdings, not 4% of the company, of course. But, all of his TSLA). {bows head low} Don’t ever listen to me, Greg.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

seajay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:51 pmWould have thought that the public listing was more a case of sell high for the prior owners, market peak, rather than potential significant upside/growth.

I didn’t address this earlier. From what I’ve read, the former owners will have an even bigger stake now than they had before the IPO. I’ll see if I can find the article before my papers go to the recycling truck this week.

Interesting that Huawei is developing its own chip designs. Well, that’s the headline anyway. The article (Financial Times, today), states that 4 of the 8 CPUs — should we still call them “Central” if there are eight of them? — are pure ARM designs. The other 4 are ARM-based, but tweaked by Huawei.
Still…
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay »

dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:25 am
seajay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:51 pmWould have thought that the public listing was more a case of sell high for the prior owners, market peak, rather than potential significant upside/growth.

I didn’t address this earlier. From what I’ve read, the former owners will have an even bigger stake now than they had before the IPO. I’ll see if I can find the article before my papers go to the recycling truck this week.

Interesting that Huawei is developing its own chip designs. Well, that’s the headline anyway. The article (Financial Times, today), states that 4 of the 8 CPUs — should we still call them “Central” if there are eight of them? — are pure ARM designs. The other 4 are ARM-based, but tweaked by Huawei.
Still…
With AI I guess that we're on the brink of few powerful CPU's may transition to many low (processing) power CPU's working in harmony. Similar to the human brain.

At some point, longevity. Download/backup your memories each night, and if anything bad happens to that brain, recover those memories into a replacement brain/device. If a device has two cameras to look out at the world with, and has all of memories, without any further reference point it would not know it wasn't actually you.

Thereafter the likes of space travel becomes more viable. More easily shielded against the likes of radiation or different atmospheres, able to travel vast distances in seemingly short time - by slowing the internal body clock rate down to perhaps tick just once/year instead of a million times per second. And with the capacity to simply wipe out memories, such as the memories of a long trip. Remember leaving, and the next memory being of having arrived - how was the trip? OK, the journey was very quick.

Retirement planning of perhaps of a thousand years 2% SWR
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

seajay wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:25 am
With AI I guess that we're on the brink of few powerful CPU's may transition to many low (processing) power CPU's working in harmony. Similar to the human brain.

At some point, longevity. Download/backup your memories each night, and if anything bad happens to that brain, recover those memories into a replacement brain/device.
CJ, you have just essentially described the plot of a fine novel called ‘Kiln People.’ O0
Actually, I’m not sure if you meant damage to the brain or unpleasant memories. The novel addresses the latter situation mostly.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/406 ... iln-people
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:24 pm
seajay wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:25 am

At some point, longevity. Download/backup your memories each night, and if anything bad happens to that brain, recover those memories into a replacement brain/device.
CJ, you have just essentially described the plot of a fine novel called ‘Kiln People.’ O0
Actually, I’m not sure if you meant damage to the brain or unpleasant memories. The novel addresses the latter situation mostly.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/406 ... iln-people

It's also pretty close to the plot of "What are Little Girls Made Of?", perhaps my favorite episode of Star Trek.

It's revealed at the end that Dr Korby has in fact transferred HIMSELF into one of his machines, and attempts to demonstrate how human he still is: "why I can solve any equation..." Then he realizes he has failed. Kirk says that "Dr Korby... was never here."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I like it!

P.S. I’m whole again 😅
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ARM is up 50+% just this morning.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

ARM was the first stock I ever bought. Those were the days. O0
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:20 pm ARM was the first stock I ever bought. Those were the days. O0
That’s what the sentient AIs will be saying about 2023 O0