Sports Betting & Gambling

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

SmallPotatoes

Sports Betting & Gambling

Post by SmallPotatoes »

Are either a reasonable way to use VP money?  Clearly they are highly speculative 'investments', but consider roulette or picking the winner of a boxing match. In both cases you can essentially have a 50/50 shot of going home with double your money (or losing it all).

Suppose one budgets $100.00 gambling money each month. Worthwhile or just expensive thrills? I believe this sort of VP might be a perfect compliment to the conservative PP. Thoughts?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sports Betting & Gambling

Post by MediumTex »

I think that a person would have to take a hard look at his own past gambling performance to evaluate whether this would be a good idea. 

If a person has shown a consistent ability to win in sports or any other betting, then I suppose it could make sense to continue doing something that worked.  However, I think it is more common for gambling to be a form of entertainment that is rarely consistently profitable.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pkg Man »

I agree completely with MediumTex.  For games of chance such as roulette, which I love to play, the house will always win in the end.  And although I detest State lotteries I think that would be a better fit with the spirit of the VP - high potential payoff, and by definition, limited to money you can afford to lose. 
"Machines are gonna fail...and the system's gonna fail"
SmallPotatoes

Post by SmallPotatoes »

Thanks. Just wondering how to view my next Vegas vacation.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

you could try poker, with skill and luck you can have some fun, learn something, and possibly make a small profit,

i spent a bit of time playing online no hold-em and i think i learned a lot about how to think about risk, the psychology of gambling and most importantly bankroll management,  keeping a bankroll and growing a bankroll (even in the penny and nickel games i played ) is not easy, but it is a game where skill and good money management will out pace luck over the log term..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MiniB

Post by MiniB »

SmallPotatoes wrote: Are either a reasonable way to use VP money?  Clearly they are highly speculative 'investments', but consider roulette or picking the winner of a boxing match. In both cases you can essentially have a 50/50 shot of going home with double your money (or losing it all).

Suppose one budgets $100.00 gambling money each month. Worthwhile or just expensive thrills? I believe this sort of VP might be a perfect compliment to the conservative PP. Thoughts?
At the very best it's going to be a 49-51 chance because the house gets their cut.  In roulette theres 2 green numbers in there so even if you pick black or red it's not 50-50