Gun Stocks

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gun Stocks

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:12 am

A stock newsletter that a family member subscribes to recommended a particular gun stock last month, and now there's a second one. The current gun recommendation thread by BearBones has me wondering, is anyone using vP money to speculate on the zombie apocalypse? Or, more seriously, on the election?
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gun Stocks

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am

RGR and SWHC have been doing great recently. I don't own any of those stocks, but they both put out quality products and I think they're going to keep going up. Ruger is backlogged many many months.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
alvinroast

Post by alvinroast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 pm

My favorite stock OLN is 29% ammo. I also have some options on ATK (with an open sell order that may or may not have filled today) since I wouldn't mind owning the stock.

If you're really speculating on the zombie apocalypse or election stuff I'd go with what Pointedstick suggested. I really don't think Ruger is going out of business anytime soon.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 pm

alvinroast wrote: ...
If you're really speculating on the zombie apocalypse or election stuff I'd go with what Pointedstick suggested.
Although I wasn't going to specify the stocks mentioned in the newsletters, they are the ones PS mentioned, and they're doing great.

I remember ATK doing very well in the past, although I have never owned it.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Pointedstick wrote: RGR and SWHC have been doing great recently. I don't own any of those stocks
I don't own any of them either.  But I do know that RGR and SWHC are at historical highs and it seems to me that future income at the current level is already priced in.  I doubt it will continue, so I expect these companies to decline.

I haven't purchased, because I'm primarily dividend growth, and have a hard time building a case for future valuation.  But having their current valuation so high makes it unlikely I'd investigate much further because I believe in buying at a good value rather than hoping for a greater fool.

Olin (OLN) is another candidate.