Tesla Motors

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tesla Motors

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Must be more than that, Jon. They were talking about it all morning on CNBC with some old guy saying that it’s going to go up further. It really does seem crazy, this valuation.

At some point, the talking heads were asking, “What if he can actually make the cars?” The word ‘fraud’ is no longer used and some of the initial criticisms have melted away.

I don’t own it, so I want to see it crash as soon as possible. O0 A friend of mine ordered the cybertruck, though.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:17 pm
I keep telling you guys: Best car ever. Never going back to gasoline.
Ever go on a long enough drive you had to stop at a charging place? How much time did that add to your trip?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 am

A trading system I run put me in TSLA in January and as of tonight up 100% exactly. Sold half Monday. It’s nice to get lucky every once in a while.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:29 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 am
A trading system I run put me in TSLA in January and as of tonight up 100% exactly. Sold half Monday. It’s nice to get lucky every once in a while.
Well done!

Down 10% this morning (930 EST)

340PM: hear that popping sound? O0
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks, closed my position at the open today. Time will tell if it was a good decision...as the saying goes, better to be lucky than good, and luck it was.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Thanks, closed my position at the open today. Time will tell if it was a good decision...as the saying goes, better to be lucky than good, and luck it was.

Nobody ever lost money taking a profit. But lots of people who forgot to, have.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:14 pm

For years I have consistently said it was overpriced... and it just keeps going up. And I still wouldn't touch it. Now at least there is one person who agrees with me.

New Constructs CEO David Trainer says Tesla is the most dangerous stock on Wall Street

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/06/tesla-c ... -says.html

Now watch the damned stock double again before Christmas!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:35 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:14 pm
For years I have consistently said it was overpriced... and it just keeps going up. And I still wouldn't touch it. Now at least there is one person who agrees with me.

New Constructs CEO David Trainer says Tesla is the most dangerous stock on Wall Street

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/06/tesla-c ... -says.html

Now watch the damned stock double again before Christmas!
Um, I would say there are two million people who agree with you.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm

I think the real question is why does one care if it is over valued (even grossly so)?

If you are a value investor, then it has probably been a company you've never invested in.

If you are an index holder then you should remember you are buying a methodology not X# of stocks.

If you are a momentum investor you enjoy the ride up and know that you will be giving some of your profits back whenever TSLA falls out of favor.

I'm in the last camp and loving every minute of the ride, but one day it will come to an end most assuredly. Makes no difference to me if TSLA is overvalued or not and unless you are a value investor you should not care and if you are a value investor you should not be in TSLA.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:57 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:42 am
CA Gov Newsom signed an executive order requiring no new gasoline cars to be sold after 2035. Good news for TSLA. Bad news for CA's already overtaxed electrical grid. I just don't see how PG&E is going to power all these electric vehicles when they can't even keep the lights on now.
Well hold on, Pug. Did he say the new cars had to be electric?

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 2.56.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 2.56.22 PM.png (356.98 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:30 pm

I agree with you, too, but instead of calling Andrew Wheeler (of the EPA) ‘the government’, call him Vice Pres of the Washington Coal Club. O0
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm
I think the real question is why does one care if it is over valued (even grossly so)?

If you are a value investor, then it has probably been a company you've never invested in.

If you are an index holder then you should remember you are buying a methodology not X# of stocks.

If you are a momentum investor you enjoy the ride up and know that you will be giving some of your profits back whenever TSLA falls out of favor.

I'm in the last camp and loving every minute of the ride, but one day it will come to an end most assuredly. Makes no difference to me if TSLA is overvalued or not and unless you are a value investor you should not care and if you are a value investor you should not be in TSLA.
Well said.
I'm in the last camp with you, and the air is definitely getting thin up here, but the colors are so vivid, man.
Ludicrous in a good way.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:19 pm

It has been an amazing (good) year for momo.

TSLA, ZM, NVDA, JD...quite amazing. PDD is new for me but it is already up crazy since I bought it.

My particular form of momentum investing/trading rebalances monthly so I've sold off a fair amount of all of them on the way up.

These things come to an end however, they always do.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Elon Musk says he once considered selling Tesla to Apple, Tim Cook didn’t want to take a meeting

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/elon-mu ... -meet.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:31 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:40 pm
Elon Musk says he once considered selling Tesla to Apple, Tim Cook didn’t want to take a meeting

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/elon-mu ... -meet.html
Heard that on cnbc this morning. Wow!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 pm

Ok you dorks! I want to hear more about the cars themselves.
MangoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:17 pm
I keep telling you guys: Best car ever. Never going back to gasoline.
Still loving the 3? I've been looking at new cars, specifically the 3 and the Bolt.

Teslas look fucking amazing, but I'm leery of their hackability. I don't like the idea of self-driving capabilities combined with being connected to a server. Is there something inherent in how Tesla set them up that prevents someone hacking in and driving them away (again) or locking them down, or is it just a grudge match between Tesla and hackers?
Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 am
Am I the only one wary of stuffing more and more high-tech crap into cars? The cynic in me thinks it's the only way they can sustain a moderate level of price inflation and keep their profit margins up. If they built a car today with the technology of a car from 1985 it would probably cost $3,000.

Yes, I know a lot of this is regulatory and that the NHTSA wouldn't let you build a car nowadays without automatic front back middle side up down force-predictive intelligently triggered nitrogen-filled carbon-neutral foam-cushioned airbags and all that jazz.
Yea, I wish someone would make a bare-bones electric that got 300 miles a charge. Or like, not even bare-bones (I like AC, cruise control, and a sound system), but just without the connectivity, cameras, 0-60/top speed, and luxury materials.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.