You can only buy one stock. What is it?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: You can only buy one stock. What is it?

Post by blackomen »

Walmart
Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog »

Horrid question

V.O.C.
http://www.lodewijkpetram.nl/proefschrift.html
in its modern variant: GE
Life is uncertain and then we die
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Coffee wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Coffee wrote: ...
Amazon.

I'm a gambling man, so I'm gonna pick Amazon for my one stock. 
As a consumer, I love Amazon for too many reasons to list here.
Also, they're evil enough to some to be given serious consideration in this thread.
Even so, don't they usually lose money? If so, you really are a gambling man.
Time will tell if it's actually "losing" money or investing money.  I think Bezos understands the nature of a public company and is a visionary in the sense that he is positioning Amazon now for future domination.  My conjecture is that one day Wall Street will wake up and realize that Amazon affects every aspect of our lives. 

As an internet marketer, I'm in a position to see that Amazon's programs are run 1000X more efficiently than Google.  But at the end of the day... it's still a gamble.
Google had a five minute outage on August 16th.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575989 ... l-traffic/

"As it turns out though, Google's downtime did appear to have global, measurable repercussions, according to analytics firm GoSquared, which estimates that it caused a 40 percent drop in global traffic during a five-minute window"

Google's ability to influence so much of the world economy is why I am sticking with them as my choice. Coffee, as you mentioned earlier in another thread, they have many other internet companies by the balls. 

And they can influence elections and uproot dictators in their spare time.
Last edited by Reub on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frommi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frommi »

I am wondering why nobody picked CL, PG or KO. I can`t imagine a world without products of these companies :).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote:
frommi wrote: I am wondering why nobody picked CL, PG or KO. I can`t imagine a world without products of these companies :).
Did you mean CLX? Or something else?
CL (Colgate-Palmolive) is at least as good as CLX (Clorox).
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Google earnings blowout:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/10/google ... -earnings/

I also heard today that they are investing hundreds of millions of dollars in a division known as Calico, where they will be working on cures for aging, disease, and death. To me, this is the type of innovation that separates Google from just ordinary companies:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/tech/inno ... index.html
Last edited by Reub on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

DuPont    DD

http://www.dupont.com

Been around over 200 years and somehow, keeps reinventing itself.  Not many companies in that league.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Google is now creating a class of robot animals. They are really a very scary company!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 07562.html
Lowe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lowe »

To me, Intel seems the best bet.  Their product grows more essential over time, and barring some technological upset, processors will continue to increase in complexity, making it harder to compete with them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: Google is now creating a class of robot animals. They are really a very scary company!
I love google and the robot firms they bought up. But, Google is scary because they don't follow their "Don't be evil" motto. I learned that when I read the 'Atlantic' piece on Internet fraudster Jesse Willms.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... et/355726/
Lowe wrote:To me, Intel seems the best bet.  Their product grows more essential over time, and barring some technological upset, processors will continue to increase in complexity, making it harder to compete with them.
Do they have a large market share of mobile phones and tablets? I'm guessing they do, but I don't know.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

How about CBIS, Cannibus Science, or HEMP?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: How about CBIS, Cannibus Science, or HEMP?
#1 Beware of scammers and thinly traded stocks that get pumped and dumped.
#2 You know, Hemp, Inc is not exactly in the marijuana business. They sell hemp-related products.

See here: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/whos ... rush.html/
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I was actually making a social commentary. My bad!
Lowe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lowe »

dualstow wrote:
Lowe wrote:To me, Intel seems the best bet.  Their product grows more essential over time, and barring some technological upset, processors will continue to increase in complexity, making it harder to compete with them.
Do they have a large market share of mobile phones and tablets? I'm guessing they do, but I don't know.
Embedded processors have been mostly ARM chips for a while.  However, Intel is getting into that space with Atom processors.  Here is Forbes article from last year, with some figures.
The [Atom] processors are now increasingly being considered for other devices such as smartphones and tablets. We estimate Intel to currently account for 7% of the total available market, which includes netbooks, smartphones, tablets, car infotainment systems, smart TVs, etc.
The writer also mentions that Intel has 70, 80, and 90 percent of the desktop, laptop, and servers markets.  Also I am sure that Intel has more than 7% market share in general embedded applications (cars, coffee makers, etc).

EDIT : Forgot link.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Thanks, Lowe. Interesting!
---
For Reub: Up in Smoke: Marijuana Stocks Fly High as Colorado Law Takes Effect
Shares of thinly-traded and volatile marijuana stocks like Medbox (MDBX) enjoyed a big bounce on Thursday following the dawn of legalized recreational pot use in Colorado this week.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/investing/20 ... es-effect/

I just checked yahoo finance, though, and it appears to be down 11% today. (shrug)
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I just saw this:

http://www.moneynews.com/InvestingAnaly ... /id/546170

"They’ve got high hopes.

Bruce Perlowin, the chief executive officer of Hemp Inc. who has seen his stock soar 205 percent to 8 cents in the last three days, says investors are suddenly bidding up marijuana companies because they want to find “the next Microsoft.”? Robert Frichtel, his Advanced Cannabis Solutions Inc. up 144 percent, said “euphoria”? is driving gains that in some cases top 1,700 percent.

“The demand for marijuana is insatiable,”? said Perlowin, a once-jailed smuggler who filed last month to sell 12 million shares of the Las Vegas-based company even as its market value holds 99.97 percent below the world’s biggest software maker. “You have a feeding frenzy for the birth of a new industry.”?

While regulators warn of scams, some of the biggest percentage gains in the stock market this year are being harvested by investors speculating on marijuana penny stocks. GreenGro Technologies Inc., which provides management services for medical dispensaries, has soared 1,714 percent to 80 cents. Tranzbyte Corp., which sells pot in Colorado, has gained more than 310 percent in five trading sessions, crossing above a penny for the first time in 11 months."

BTW, Greengro was down 52% today!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dualstow wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm
AdamA wrote: Another good stock would be Aqua America (WTR).
Not exactly the same, but one of my best holdings is AWR, American Water Resources.
Yours has a better ticker. :-)
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this mothereffer is *up* today! (AWR)