Bitcoin giveaway! :)

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bitcoin giveaway! :)

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

I am having amazing returns with bitcoin and like to spread the love with you guys.

If you post your bitcoin address here I will send you some free bitcoin. (You can create a free wallet at blockchain.info. Do activate and install google's 2 factor authenticator app on your phone as to protect your account against hackers. Also upon creation of your account they will give you a backup code, do print out or pen down the backup code on a paper because if you forget your password or lose your phone, you will lose your bitcoins also! So that backup is very important. But be careful, do not have that backup on your computer or email as a hacker can steal it then, so never save it on your computer but immediately print out or pen down.)

I hope it's the start of your VP full of BTC, since it's the best speculation I have ever seen and may change the world as much as the internet did.
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We think, the more people on earth, the less we each have. But it's exactly the opposite, the more people, the more resources we all have!" - Julian Simon, The Ultimate Resource 2
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin giveaway! :)

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 am

Wow, that's really amazingly nice of you, Marc!

Code: Select all

1J9kReEPQZSfB8ZzwNvxXamJ9S9YsRe3Ty
For anyone else interested, localbitcoins.com is an interesting way to buy and sell bitcoins. The other day there was someone buying bitcoins in exchange for Amazon gift cards at a very favorable exchange rate. He sold out fast. :)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Marc wrote: I am having amazing returns with bitcoin and like to spread the love with you guys.

If you post your bitcoin address here I will send you some free bitcoin. (You can create a free wallet at blockchain.info. Do activate and install google's 2 factor authenticator app on your phone as to protect your account against hackers.)

I hope it's the start of your VP full of BTC, since it's the best speculation I have ever seen and may change the world as much as the internet did.
My code is:  1JoKZqPZJBazvJq4MBaqjuXT3W5pxCewFi

That is really nice of you to share some (any) of your good fortune.

I have some btc in my VP and it has (percentage-wise) been the best speculation in which I've ever indulged.  It's really hard to say where it is headed, but I agree that it has the potential to be incredibly transformative.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Marc, thank you for your generosity!  I am somewhat fascinated with the potential of Bitcoin but have only committed "entertainment" funds to this point.

Here is my btc address: 1wACzhz8HUmW1GbNPajTSMJGh6ZcSGVr1

Also, thanks for your efforts to explore ways to improve upon the PP.  I don't feel qualified to post responses or challenge anyone's ideas, but I do enjoy reading the discussions.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Here is mine, Marc:

1ot2durorPj3oGTeYNJ4vWLi9U7dJP48f

Please send plenty of bitcoin(s). :)
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Reub wrote: Here is mine, Marc:

There you go :)
"We think, the more people on earth, the less we each have. But it's exactly the opposite, the more people, the more resources we all have!" - Julian Simon, The Ultimate Resource 2
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:33 pm

flyingpylon wrote: Marc, thank you for your generosity!  I am somewhat fascinated with the potential of Bitcoin but have only committed "entertainment" funds to this point.

Here is my btc address: 1wACzhz8HUmW1GbNPajTSMJGh6ZcSGVr1

Also, thanks for your efforts to explore ways to improve upon the PP.  I don't feel qualified to post responses or challenge anyone's ideas, but I do enjoy reading the discussions.
BTC teleported :)

Nice to hear you enjoyed the discussion :)
edsanville
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by edsanville » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey Marc, here's my address:

19rHj9ignMy3SL28ZhM3sNmF8JVicniQcs

I was actually planning on buying a couple bitcoins last summer in a 50/50 rebalanced bitcoin/USD portfolio.  I was waiting for bitcoins to go a little lower though, and I missed the boat.  Looks like the boat left the harbor and is now out to sea without me :(.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:38 pm

HB Reader wrote:
Marc wrote: I am having amazing returns with bitcoin and like to spread the love with you guys.

If you post your bitcoin address here I will send you some free bitcoin. (You can create a free wallet at blockchain.info. Do activate and install google's 2 factor authenticator app on your phone as to protect your account against hackers.)

My code is:  1JoKZqPZJBazvJq4MBaqjuXT3W5pxCewFi

That is really nice of you to share some (any) of your good fortune.

I have some btc in my VP and it has (percentage-wise) been the best speculation in which I've ever indulged.  It's really hard to say where it is headed, but I agree that it has the potential to be incredibly transformative.
Send out :)

Yeah, it's gone be volatile, likely mostly to the upside ;)

Great to hear you invested also :)
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

edsanville wrote: Hey Marc, here's my address:

19rHj9ignMy3SL28ZhM3sNmF8JVicniQcs

I was actually planning on buying a couple bitcoins last summer in a 50/50 rebalanced bitcoin/USD portfolio.  I was waiting for bitcoins to go a little lower though, and I missed the boat.  Looks like the boat left the harbor and is now out to sea without me :(.
I'm sorry, that really sucks when the price chases away from you :/

I think that the risk/reward is equally great today. Reward down, but risk as well.

Chances this fails is very low I think. But even if you give it 90% chance of failure it's still a bet worth taking since it will 1000 fold from here if it does succeed in becoming a mainstream currency. Albeit in this case only with a small part of your capital, according to the Kelly criterion if you make 10% chance to make a fortune betting 10% of the capital you are willing to risk is optimal.

Send you some love :)
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Wow, that's really amazingly nice of you, Marc!

Code: Select all

1J9kReEPQZSfB8ZzwNvxXamJ9S9YsRe3Ty
For anyone else interested, localbitcoins.com is an interesting way to buy and sell bitcoins. The other day there was someone buying bitcoins in exchange for Amazon gift cards at a very favorable exchange rate. He sold out fast. :)
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Marc,

Your enthusiasm for Bitcoins is infectious.  I have enjoyed hearing of your success with this one.  I am still a bit of a skeptic, but the more I learn, the more attractive this state-less currency appears.  I have taken your advice and set up a wallet; here's my address:

1LjR5CKXALxjE4AvMFV31z1omNNvUFk4fa

Thanks a lot!
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm blown away by the recent rise in BTC on heavy volume. Wish I'd diversified at least a small % in this currency earlier. This is a nudge in the right direction. Thanks Marc!

1LeW5LQKvj2N3yjLj1NmogZwi9j7DUXQL7
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 am

Austen Heller wrote: Hi Marc,

Your enthusiasm for Bitcoins is infectious.  I have enjoyed hearing of your success with this one.  I am still a bit of a skeptic, but the more I learn, the more attractive this state-less currency appears.  I have taken your advice and set up a wallet; here's my address:

1LjR5CKXALxjE4AvMFV31z1omNNvUFk4fa

Thanks a lot!
That's really great to hear Austen :) BTC send. Thanks so much for your appreciation as well :)
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:12 am

iwealth wrote: I'm blown away by the recent rise in BTC on heavy volume. Wish I'd diversified at least a small % in this currency earlier. This is a nudge in the right direction. Thanks Marc!

1LeW5LQKvj2N3yjLj1NmogZwi9j7DUXQL7
I'm also blown away and so is most of the btc community. But that is now the second time it goes up more sooner than I expected. But indeed - if - this becomes mainstream over the next 10 years, then 1 coin will cost not $300 but $300,000, and that requires tremendous rises. Many understand that theoretically but no one ever experienced that in practice in the investment world so it still takes one by surprise. (Except for a few business angels)

Yeah, I have also made my investment mistakes in the past. Sold most of my silver in 2009 right before it tripled in value :(  Missing an opportunity you saw can be as painful as losing money.

Congrats with your first btc :) 
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 am

For people who are curious about how much someone received you can lookup any address and see their balance and transactions.

Go to blockchain.info and simply copy paste the address in the top right corner there.

Oeps, it seems the transactions are not being confirmed by the network. Probably because I did not pay a transaction fee. It will probably be confirmed in 3/4 days and if not I'll resend it this time with transaction fee.

(When sending small amounts many miners want you to pay a transaction fee, otherwise they don't want to confirm it. For a transaction to be final you need 3 confirmations)
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 am

Marc wrote:
Reub wrote: Here is mine, Marc:

My first bitcoin! I feel rich! :)
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:59 am

Marc,

I received your btc gift.  That was very kind of you.

It will be very interesting to see where everything shakes out.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 am

You know what I just realized? Moda and Gumby have been talking about how the natural "risk-free" rate of interest on a floating fiat currency is zero percent; what's the "risk-free" interest payment you can get on Bitcoin--a floating fiat currency? Zero percent. :) All of these gains are coming from appreciation vs other currencies, not interest payments. If and when Bitcoin eventually stabilizes vs the dollar or euro or something, I think there's a very strong case to be made that nobody's Bitcoin reserves are going to be accumulating any interest payments without lending them out to borrowers and taking on some real risk. How could it be any other way? Bitcoin is an inherently deflationary currency; "risk-free" interest the way bank reserves work today requires inflation.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:51 am

Lack of anonymity scares me about bitcoins, but open to trying.

12DLJD6QXqED8n2DiZiyD3LDw3g5SwiGkm
Last edited by Bean on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am

Bean wrote: Lack of anonymity scares me about bitcoins, but open to trying.

There you go Bean :)

Yes, it's indeed very hard to be fully anonymous, but so it is with cash payments. There is always a trace you leave somewhere.

But it's the first digital currency that allows you to be anonymous, and that is one of the 3 great innovations bitcoin brings.

The other 2 being, the first deflationary currency in human history and the first digital currency you can truly own yourself.

Power to the people!  8)
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 am

Marc wrote:

Yes, it's indeed very hard to be fully anonymous, but so it is with cash payments. There is always a trace you leave somewhere.

But it's the first digital currency that allows you to be anonymous, and that is one of the 3 great innovations bitcoin brings.

The other 2 being, the first deflationary currency in human history and the first digital currency you can truly own yourself.

Power to the people!  8)
Thanks!

Might spend my evening building a mining rig the more I read about this  ;D
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 am

Bean wrote:
Marc wrote:

Power to the people!  8)
Thanks!

Might spend my evening building a mining rig the more I read about this  ;D
That's really great to hear :D

This video made me cry almost:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ce5tV- ... ture=share
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 pm

This is breathed new life into my monster gaming rig I built awhile ago, but now since I spend too much time in the real world to use anymore.

...Also, have all the parts order to build an ASIC mining set up.

Thank you Marc for a new hobby  ;)
Last edited by Bean on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Bean wrote: This is breathed new life into my monster gaming rig I built awhile ago, but now since I spend too much time in the real world to use anymore.

...Also, have all the parts order to build an ASIC mining set up.

Thank you Marc for a new hobby  ;)
Very welcome :)

Here the best bitcoin investment advice :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qooBzE2w