PP Inspired Momentum - A Comprehensive Approach

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Inspired Momentum - A Comprehensive Approach

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:43 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:36 am
i thought you might like to know i saved a ton of money on my car insurance --I FLED THE SCENE lol
I have an avatar for that O0
As someone with Geico coverage on my car for the last 20 years (and zero problems the few times I've had to use it) is there some issue with them we should know about (besides not compensating brokers for selling it)?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 pm

I have been with geico for 50 years .... not one issue with them
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Having had Geico insurance in the past and knowing many people who have or currently work there, I think most of internet jokes come from issues in the distant past with the exception of denied claims due to unknowledgable customers of insurance products by online insurance shoppers (see my last paragraph).

That said, I highly recommend shopping your insurance every 1-2 years regardless of company but especially Geico as they have a loyalty surcharge instead of a discount. In many cases you can even get a better rate with Geico by requoting due to this fact. Otherwise, I think they are a fine insurance company.

As far as brokers go, I think the quality of each agent varies widely. That said, insurance sells a complicated product and there are very few sophisticated buyers out there. While I agree that buying online appeals to many people, it can end up being a costly mistake when a situation assumed to be covered ends up being denied. To each their own though.

IG

EDIT: Inadvertantly submitted before finalizing my thoughts. Wasn't sure whether or not to address the online shopper/broker info but ultimately decided it was worthy of the conversation.
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:34 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:31 pm
Having had Geico insurance in the past and knowing many people who have or currently work there, I think most of internet jokes come from issues in the distant past.

That said, I highly recommend shopping your insurance every 1-2 years regardless of company but especially Geico as they have a loyalty surcharge instead of a discount. In many cases you can even get a better rate with Geico by requoting due to this fact. Otherwise, I think they are a fine insurance company.

IG
So they don't give you a discount on both by buying both your vehicle and home insurance from them?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:34 pm
So they don't give you a discount on both by buying both your vehicle and home insurance from them?

Vinny
They do give a discount for having multipe policies with them, but they do not give you a discount for have insurance with them for multiple consecutive renewals as many other companies have.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Geico farms out home insurance to other companies .... I have travelers for apartment insurance .... geico uses travelers ..

Geico won’t write a policy in our area since we are two blocks from a bay ... but travelers on their own will write the policy ....weird ....so we have auto and umbrella with geico and renters insurance with travelers
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:49 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
They do give a discount for having multipe policies with them, but they do not give you a discount for have insurance with them for multiple consecutive renewals as many other companies have.
How do they manage the quote process when you have homeowners / umbrella renewing in February while vehicle is May? Would they commit to a price for May in February?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:52 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:49 pm
InsuranceGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
How do they manage the quote process when you have homeowners / umbrella renewing in February while vehicle is May? Would they commit to a price for May in February?

Vinny
The dates really don't matter unless you like to get the paid in full discount and want to do so for all of your policies at once. If you find a lower price, you can switch immediately (or February) and then they will refund the amount you have prepaid (if any) through May.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:03 pm

REITs had a good run, but the model is moving from 100% REIT to 100% S&P 500. Model is still indicating use of leverage so I traded from 75% VNQ/25% DRN to 75% IVV/25% SPXL today.

It looks like the model lost to the benchmark with my leveraged version accumulating 26.6% for 2019 vs 31.3% for the S&P 500. This seems reasonable based on past performance and I was able to sell much of those gains at the long-term capital gains rate.

Cheers to a year of double digit gains!
HappyMan

Post by HappyMan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:57 pm

Small wonder, momentum strategies lose to S&P when the latter is pumping, like the last 12 weeks. The thing is, not many, if any, people know when S&P will be pumping.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:49 pm

HappyMan wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:57 pm
Small wonder, momentum strategies lose to S&P when the latter is pumping, like the last 12 weeks. The thing is, not many, if any, people know when S&P will be pumping.
This is very true. I think the strategy still did quite well even if not as well as the benchmark this year, the goal is to keep reasonably close during times of prosperity and then avoid the drawdowns so as to beat the benchmark overall over a complete economic cycle.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm

IG,

Do you have the calculations in a programming language or is the spreadsheet your implementation?