Do You Really, Really Want to Know What Trump Did That Was So Bad?

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Do You Really, Really Want to Know What Trump Did That Was So Bad?

Post by stuper1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:15 am

Here's what Trump did that was so bad: he didn't start any new wars in four years in office and existing wars were scaled back. This the military-industrial complex can't abide. This is why Trump faced non-stop demonization by the press. This is why former members of his administration (many of them top generals and military cheerleaders) got paid literally millions of dollars to write hit-piece books filled with gossip and innuendo. And despite this, Trump's support among people serving in the Marines was reportedly 70%, because they love a president who doesn't get them into unnecessary wars.

After Dumb and Dumber are sworn in as Prez and VP, watch and see how soon it is before some new pants-on-fire emergency erupts somewhere in the world, absolutely requiring us to get ourselves involved in new military adventures. Then you will know who really calls the shots and controls the purse strings in Washington.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do You Really, Really Want to Know What Trump Did That Was So Bad?

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 am

I think that's an overly simplistic analysis. Luckily the middle east remained relatively calm, although we got awfully close to confrontation with Iran. How do you think Trump would have responded if an American battleship or base was hit? What would he have done if a large organized terrorist attack was carried out on our soil?

Overall however , I'm very glad to have a smaller military presence around the world.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 am

As I recall, Trump launched a few missiles in Syria early on as a show of force, but then he just left it at that. He didn't try to use it as an excuse to broaden our footprint there.

My point is that many of these so-called "emergencies" are likely manufactured excuses for the military-industrial complex to get richer.

Watch and see. I'm sure it won't happen overnight, but in four years, you'll see that Biden has enriched his MIC masters by expanding our worldwide military presence.

But at least we won't have a divisive obnoxious womanizer in the White House. And we will again have the respect of important world leaders (who by the way are also controlled by economic masters, but they sure look good on TV in their expensive suits and dignified airs).
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 am
As I recall, Trump launched a few missiles in Syria early on as a show of force, but then he just left it at that. He didn't try to use it as an excuse to broaden our footprint there.

My point is that many of these so-called "emergencies" are likely manufactured excuses for the military-industrial complex to get richer.

Watch and see. I'm sure it won't happen overnight, but in four years, you'll see that Biden has enriched his MIC masters by expanding our worldwide military presence.

But at least we won't have a divisive obnoxious womanizer in the White House. And we will again have the respect of important world leaders (who by the way are also controlled by economic masters, but they sure look good on TV in their expensive suits and dignified airs).
As long as Biden acts “Presidential” and provides a sufficient amount of warm fuzzies, half of the country will lap it up and ask for more.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:07 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 am

As long as Biden acts “Presidential” and provides a sufficient amount of warm fuzzies, half of the country will lap it up and ask for more.
I'm already enjoying his presidential demeanor! One impulsive dumbass came out and claimed victory on Tuesday then proceeded to make wild unfounded accusations...the other has shown a lot of patience and poise.

We can debate policies all you want....too bad Trump undermined his by being an idiot.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Nah. He's a neocon. Let's take a poll. I vote we are in a war with Iran within a year.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Maybe instead of criticizing Biden you should focus your irritation on Trump being a dumbass for thinking he could act like a guest on the Jerry Springer show without repercussions.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:08 pm
Nah. He's a neocon. Let's take a poll. I vote we are in a war with Iran within a year.
I doubt it...but thta sounds better than a civil war between us.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:23 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 pm
sophie wrote:
The word "better" in that context makes me a bit concerned for your sanity, doodle.

The civil war by the way is effectively already happening. You may recall that this was a very tight election. That means that approximately half the country did not want Biden to become president. I can't see Biden holding out an olive branch to these people and admitting that a lot of Trump's actions were beneficial and worth continuing. If you think otherwise do tell.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:23 pm
doodle wrote:
sophie wrote:
The word "better" in that context makes me a bit concerned for your sanity, doodle.

The civil war by the way is effectively already happening. You may recall that this was a very tight election. That means that approximately half the country did not want Biden to become president. I can't see Biden holding out an olive branch to these people and admitting that a lot of Trump's actions were beneficial and worth continuing. If you think otherwise do tell.
Now now Sophie, my psychiatrist says as long as I take my meds at least twice a day I have nothing to worry about regarding my sanity.

In another thread I read that supposedly Biden plaguarized a bunch of Trump's plans...I wonder if he carries out Trump's plans if you won't critize him either way? I'm sure the national debt will suddenly become a big issue again for example. I agreed with Trump on many policy issues...... Where is your olive branch?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:59 pm

doodle wrote:
sophie wrote:
I feel quite the opposite. We shouldn't be the policeman for the world under any circumstances, but especially when we have so many of our own problems to deal with. The country is basically divided 50/50 politically. This isn't Trump's fault. He's a symptom not the cause. We need to deal with our own internal problems, hopefully in a peaceful manner, rather than papering them over, whether that means changes to our election and legislative processes, partition, or civil war (hopefully not).

But this is all just wishful thinking. Bombs-Away Biden is the Prez now. When the next global crisis hits, his advisers (all in the back pocket of the military-industrial complex) will be whispering in his ears and probably telling him that he doesn't want to look as weak as Trump did. He'll start ordering military actions, and the military-industrial complex will be happy to lap up the dollars. Hopefully, all you people who couldn't stomach Trump's tweets won't be put off by all the collateral casualties among innocent women and children.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:19 pm

A new war will also give the Dems and the MSM a new focal point and a convenient excuse to finally lay off the Covid-1984 fearmongering.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:19 pm
A new war will also give the Dems and the MSM a new focal point and a convenient excuse to finally lay off the Covid-1984 fearmongering.
You guys are really jumping ahead here. And this is why this country is fucked. The man won't even take office for two months and his administration is already being labeled. It is an eye for an eye til were all blind....interesting from supposed followers of christ.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Well if he doesn’t invade a country, he’ll be on a very short list for the last 50 years. So the odds are that they are right.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:13 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the last 50 years were a bit of an anomaly historically. Prior to world war 2 the United States was not an interventionist country (outside of our immediate neighborhood) but when that war left europe decimated and an ascending communist threat on its borders it changed things. The United States was left as really the sole functioning democratic capitalist nation on earth. I'm not going to say that the wars that followed were all justified but we have to remember to try to look at the world events through the eyes of the people who were watching a soviet empire attempt to push it's agenda around the planet.

Later interventions in central america and the middle east had their own precipitating events that can be analysed but I really think we are on a long term trend in this country to reduce our military interventionism. I think this trend probably started sometime after bush left office and was accelerated by Trump. I don't think the trend will be reversed.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:04 pm

So there was the Fortunate Son song head scratcher....but Trump supporters dancing to Rage Against the Machine? What is with the incredibly strange musical tastes?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfAwarewol ... dium=mweb
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:56 am

doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 pm
my psychiatrist says as long as I take my meds at least twice a day I have nothing to worry about regarding my sanity.
;D
stuper1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:15 am
he didn't start any new wars in four years in office and existing wars were scaled back
I'm European and I don't have a dog in this race. But I was visiting mom and pop this weekend and this exact point was made at lunch. It's nice for a change that we don't see the US exporting violence for a brief period.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:57 am

europeanwizard wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:56 am
doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 pm
my psychiatrist says as long as I take my meds at least twice a day I have nothing to worry about regarding my sanity.
;D
stuper1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:15 am
he didn't start any new wars in four years in office and existing wars were scaled back
I'm European and I don't have a dog in this race. But I was visiting mom and pop this weekend and this exact point was made at lunch. It's nice for a change that we don't see the US exporting violence for a brief period.
Yes, it's been refreshing here as well. I suspect a lot of people who currently are cheering Biden's election are going to realize, in their heart of hearts, that they miss the Trump era a few years from now.

Also, has anyone noticed that the mainstream media are playing this election as if it really were a landslide handing Biden a mandate? That will run up against the hard reality of a Republican Senate (fingers crossed on that), but the main point is that they are trying once again to sideline the concerns of very nearly half the country. Not good.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 am

We currently live in a different reality, sophie. I keep on hearing talk of building consensus and working across the aisle, for example, right now Pete Buttgieg on Fox News Sunday.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 am
We currently live in a different reality, sophie. I keep on hearing talk of building consensus and working across the aisle, for example, right now Pete Buttgieg on Fox News Sunday.
LOL... do they think people are just going to forget the last 4+ years?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:29 am

doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Tortoise wrote:
You guys are really jumping ahead here. And this is why this country is fucked. The man won't even take office for two months and his administration is already being labeled. It is an eye for an eye til were all blind....interesting from supposed followers of christ.
"An eye for an eye" means that you physically punch me in the face and I turn around and do the same to you. All we are doing here is verbally discussing our predictions of what Biden's presidency will look like in terms of militarism. I would be very happy for my predictions to be proven wrong, but sadly I don't think that will be the case. For Pete's sake, he's now the most powerful person on the planet. He certainly has the power to choose not to be the policeman for the world. Nothing would make me happier. We will see in four years how he did. I don't think that human greed is any less than it was 50 years ago, so I don't expect to see a decrease in militarism by the U.S. Thank you, all you Biden voters.

One of the reasons this country is going downhill so fast is that people won't discuss things civilly. They immediately jump to histrionics.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 am

stuper1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:29 am
doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Tortoise wrote:
"An eye for an eye" means that you physically punch me in the face and I turn around and do the same to you. All we are doing here is verbally discussing our predictions of what Biden's presidency will look like in terms of militarism. I would be very happy for my predictions to be proven wrong, but sadly I don't think that will be the case. For Pete's sake, he's now the most powerful person on the planet. He certainly has the power to choose not to be the policeman for the world. Nothing would make me happier. We will see in four years how he did. I don't think that human greed is any less than it was 50 years ago, so I don't expect to see a decrease in militarism by the U.S. Thank you, all you Biden voters.

One of the reasons this country is going downhill so fast is that people won't discuss things civilly. They immediately jump to histrionics.
Both Biden and Trump achieved one hurdle. Neither became incapacitated prior to the election.

IF Biden does survive all Trump's court challenges and is due to be inaugurated on January 20, 2021....the next hurdle he needs to achieve is being able to physically take that oath of office. Slim possibilities that he will not. But much much higher probabilities than it was for Obama each of his two times.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:44 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Not all, of course not. But you may not like Biden, but one thing he seems to have proven in 47 years is he likes to get bipartisan deals done.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:15 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:44 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Not all, of course not. But you may not like Biden, but one thing he seems to have proven in 47 years is he likes to get bipartisan deals done.
Like many people, I voted against the UniParty. So “bipartisan” shaftings of the American people are not very impressive, nor are they appealing.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Do you think for a moment that the Democrats would forget about their promises to pack the Supreme Court (to take just one example) if they had a Senate majority, just because they know it would piss off half the country?