I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investing

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investing

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:01 pm

I made a suggestion and I laid out my reasoning. It's ok if you disagree. But it really is frustrating when people keep making false assumptions and putting words in my mouth.

Also, I'm not the only one. There were 10 people that voted "yes" and countless others that left this forum. So I think it was a legitimate subject to bring up for discussion.

I've also since conceded to l82start a page or 2 ago, so it's kind of moot at this point.
Last edited by pmward on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:02 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm
Mainly that having the separate sub-forum to encourage them I don't think was a fit... for all the reasons I mentioned on page 1. So please, quit putting words in my mouth.
That is something I don't think you've said before, and maybe you thought you did (or that it would be understood from what you actually were saying).

So it's your position that the separate Politics subforum has increased the political discussion here and was a bad idea? Finally there's a sensical position that can be discussed. Okay, maybe you're right!

Maybe we should discuss questions like:

* Has there been more political discussion here since the Politics subforum was created?

* Has it been more polite or more acrimonious?

* How much of the discussion/argument has been driven by you personally, pmward?

* Is it off-putting to members/visitors, particularly given the ability to ignore it?

(I honestly don't know the answers to these, as I've opted out of the Politics subforum myself. It's been really nice.)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:27 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Show me one place I suggested you "ban" political posts. Matter of fact, if you read the entire first page you will see I said we should not moderate the political discussions that happen naturally. Mainly that having the separate sub-forum to encourage them I don't think was a fit... for all the reasons I mentioned on page 1. So please, quit putting words in my mouth.
I don’t get it. You didn’t use the word ban as far as I can tell, but you want the segregated space for politics removed. I think the logicial conclusion here is that you wouldn’t want politics to flow back into the regular section. However, you are fine with political discussion mixed back in with the investing? Why would you want that?

At least with the separate section, we have a shot at the investing section sticking to investing.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm
I don't understand. The whole point of the politics subforum was to keep politics separate from the rest of the site's content. As far as I can see it's been very successful so far. If you don't like the political content, then just don't browse this area? ???

Well, that's the obvious solution, isn't it? If you don't want to read posts about politics, then don't go to the Politics forum! Ironically, pmward has been one of the most prolific, persistent posters on the Politics forum in recent weeks. He's not only voluntarily participated in discussions of highly incendiary topics, he's started a good many of them.

The forum was specifically set up recently for the express purpose of creating a segregated area, separate from the investment subforums, in which political discussions could occur. Xan made clear at the time the Politics forum was set up that members are free to opt out of notifications--meaning that any member can make the Politics forum and all of its content disappear--100 percent--from sight. There is a "sticky" at the top of the forum that reminds members of this opt-out feature.

But it's obviously not good enough for pmward that he has the ability to opt out. And it never will be good enough until each and every other member is prevented from hearing the posts he finds so disagreeable.

This really takes the cake. What better example of the consummately authoritarian type of thinking that is emblematic of the Progressive Left. It's not enough that they have the freedom to live their lives in an echo chamber. They want to control what YOU hear. That's the whole point.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Regarding people who get riled up and angry about the political discussions. I think it's important to remember one thing: it doesn't matter if someone on the internet disagrees with you. It just doesn't matter. Why even bother caring? There will always be people in the world who hold views that are diametrically opposed to yours. That will never change. So just accept that and move on with your life.

If I get into a disagreement with someone on this forum (or any forum) I generally reply twice. If it's not resolved by then I usually just stop replying. It's usually an indicator that nothing will get resolved by that point, so why bother? Make your position known and move on. There's no need to bother getting the last jab in. Be a bigger person and just move on to more important and productive things that create positive momentum in your life.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Regarding people who get riled up and angry about the political discussions. I think it's important to remember one thing: it doesn't matter if someone on the internet disagrees with you. It just doesn't matter. Why even bother caring? There will always be people in the world who hold views that are diametrically opposed to yours. That will never change. So just accept that and move on with your life.

If I get into a disagreement with someone on this forum (or any forum) I generally reply twice. If it's not resolved by then I usually just stop replying. It's usually an indicator that nothing will get resolved by that point, so why bother? Make your position known and move on. There's no need to bother getting the last jab in. Be a bigger person and just move on to more important and productive things that create positive momentum in your life.
Great advice. But, Smithers, I just want you to know this is my second response to you, I think. After this, I'm going to call in a drone strike (equipped with a butt load of dull last jabbers) by (pick your forum diaetrically opposed person) for good measure to just end this positive advice - enough is enough, we need to get back to some high powered toxicity. This is my firm and final position, at least for the next 30 seconds. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Amen, brother. It is hard to do sometimes.

I'm wondering if there could ever be one issue 100% of people would agree about?

I cannot think of one.

Could an alien invasion unite the human race? Probably not. There are going to be some people who would be fine with the human race being exterminated or becoming slaves.

A cute toddler being fed to an alligator on TV? Could everyone agree that would be a bad thing? Probably not as well.

Can you guys think of anything?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm

1 + 1 = 2? 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Simonjester wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm
1 + 1 = 2? 😉
nope...common core math.... nice try though... ;D
Attachments
main-qimg-e7ae74a1542da169cd28c2a9a31f4c7c.jpeg