Black rock socially responsible investing

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Black rock socially responsible investing

Post by doodle » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am

Anyone care to comment regarding Blackrocks new public stance towards climate change and socially responsible investing?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/blackr ... 021.html
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Black rock socially responsible investing

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:13 am

doodle wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:57 am
Anyone care to comment regarding Blackrocks new public stance towards climate change and socially responsible investing?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/blackr ... 021.html
Blackrock appears to be trolling for the same fish as the Ds do. ::)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 am

I think it's great. If increased "social responsibility" is directly tied to increase in capital and stock prices, more companies will take it seriously. This is using capitalism itself as a driver for change. Those that don't like it will buy ETF's from a company that doesn't do this. Those that do care about this will invest more in Blackrock ETF's. I personally love it, and their stance on the subject greatly influenced my decision of Blackrock being my ETF company of choice.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:47 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 pm
Social justice investing will draw interest until it sorely lags the S&P 500, which it ultimately will. And then only idiots will invest that way. ::)

It's like the restaurant that told customers to pay whatever they wanted, and then went bankrupt in 6 months because they weren't profitable. :o
It has been one of the fastest growing segments of investing for at least three years now. There is demand for it and the supply for it is constantly growing. There is a fairly significant amount of the population who do not compare returns and do make social investing the priority. I am not one of them. But I know others who are.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:09 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Social justice investing will draw interest until it sorely lags the S&P 500, which it ultimately will. And then only idiots will invest that way. ::)

It's like the restaurant that told customers to pay whatever they wanted, and then went bankrupt in 6 months because they weren't profitable. :o
Sure the direct ESG funds will likely underperform. But the index funds... the thing they are getting at is an index fund doesn't have to 100% match the index to follow it almost identically. Almost no index funds are perfectly weighted to their index. They can reduce weight on a non "responsible" company a bit and give that weight to a more "responsible" competitor and still track the index, since companies in the same sectors are highly correlated. This means the funds themselves continue to track their benchmarks within the usual small margin of error, however they have created an environment where companies that are more "responsible" get more capital than competitors that are not "responsible", which encourages companies to make changes. It's capitalism doing exactly what it should do. Those that don't like it have the option to not invest in Blackrock ETF's.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:47 pm
MangoMan wrote:

It has been one of the fastest growing segments of investing for at least three years now. There is demand for it and the supply for it is constantly growing. There is a fairly significant amount of the population who do not compare returns and do make social investing the priority. I am not one of them. But I know others who are.

Vinny
I think it's pretty good marketing. You get ROI plus you get to feel good about yourself for being socially responsible. Like the PP however, how long will people stick with it if the ROI lags too far behind?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:09 pm
MangoMan wrote:

Sure the direct ESG funds will likely underperform. But the index funds... the thing they are getting at is an index fund doesn't have to 100% match the index to follow it almost identically. Almost no index funds are perfectly weighted to their index. They can reduce weight on a non "responsible" company a bit and give that weight to a more "responsible" competitor and still track the index, since companies in the same sectors are highly correlated. This means the funds themselves continue to track their benchmarks within the usual small margin of error, however they have created an environment where companies that are more "responsible" get more capital than competitors that are not "responsible", which encourages companies to make changes. It's capitalism doing exactly what it should do. Those that don't like it have the option to not invest in Blackrock ETF's.
I have read that this should not be an assumed given...

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:17 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:47 pm
MangoMan wrote:

Vinny
I think it's pretty good marketing. You get ROI plus you get to feel good about yourself for being socially responsible. Like the PP however, how long will people stick with it if the ROI lags too far behind?
A LONG time! They get into them in the first place because they are not searching out the highest return funds. Plus, for many of them, it's unlikely they'll even become aware of what the funds actual returns are.

One thing that is an eye opener is that as managed funds their fees are significantly higher than Vanguard index fund fees.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:20 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:17 pm
One thing that is an eye opener is that as managed funds their fees are significantly higher than Vanguard index fund fees.

Vinny
Why doesn't that surprise me? ROI + Social Responsiblity = that'll cost you.

I suspect it will peter out if/when ROI decreases AND there are more and more disagreements about what is socially responsible.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:20 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

I suspect it will peter out if/when ROI decreases AND there are more and more disagreements about what is social responsible.
Yet somehow they overcome that handicap?

Vinny

Socially Responsible Investment Performance vs Traditional Investments

https://aiofinancial.com/socially-respo ... rformance/

These differences will vary from fund to fund and with different indexes but in general SRI funds will be underexposed in Defense, Banks, and Energy and overexposed in Technology. When the overexposed sectors perform better than the overall market or when the underexposed sectors underperform the market, SRI indexes will generally outperform traditional indexes.

In an efficient market, where stock prices are based on publically available information, there are no overpriced or underpriced stocks, making in impossible to predict which will perform better in the long run. Based on the 10 year returns, the SRI index performs very close (slightly better) than the S&P 500.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:29 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:20 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

I suspect it will peter out if/when ROI decreases AND there are more and more disagreements about what is social responsible.
Yet somehow they overcome that handicap?

Vinny

Socially Responsible Investment Performance vs Traditional Investments

https://aiofinancial.com/socially-respo ... rformance/

These differences will vary from fund to fund and with different indexes but in general SRI funds will be underexposed in Defense, Banks, and Energy and overexposed in Technology. When the overexposed sectors perform better than the overall market or when the underexposed sectors underperform the market, SRI indexes will generally outperform traditional indexes.

In an efficient market, where stock prices are based on publically available information, there are no overpriced or underpriced stocks, making in impossible to predict which will perform better in the long run. Based on the 10 year returns, the SRI index performs very close (slightly better) than the S&P 500.
I prefer investments where I don't have to read paragraphs like those several times and still don't understand what they are trying to say. Which is why I like the PP.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:02 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:

Sure the direct ESG funds will likely underperform.

VInny
Well, if “socially responsible investing” gets higher returns than other risk-adjusted alternates, then it isn’t socially responsible investing, it’s profit-maximizing investing at that point and I think we just call it “investing”
An explanation for why the companies invested in do better is because they are better companies because of the way they behave. An actual "Good guys finish first".

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 pm

I've never invested in one of these but I wonder what the prospectuses look like. I mean, do they actually spell out in specific terms what "socially responsible investing" is beyond platitudes of "Combatting Climate Change, Racial Equality, Empowering women", etcetera. I could be wrong but my guess is probably not.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:02 pm
tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:15 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:

Sure the direct ESG funds will likely underperform.

VInny
Well, if “socially responsible investing” gets higher returns than other risk-adjusted alternates, then it isn’t socially responsible investing, it’s profit-maximizing investing at that point and I think we just call it “investing”
An explanation for why the companies invested in do better is because they are better companies because of the way they behave. An actual "Good guys finish first".

Vinny
No woman I have ever been with has believed that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:24 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 pm
I've never invested in one of these but I wonder what the prospectuses look like. I mean, do they actually spell out in specific terms what "socially responsible investing" is beyond platitudes of "Combatting Climate Change, Racial Equality, Empowering women", etcetera. I could be wrong but my guess is probably not.
This page did not exist with Vanguard until a few years ago. A sign of the demand for these type investments. You can find the answer to your question by delving further on this page.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/esg/

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:59 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:24 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 pm
This page did not exist with Vanguard until a few years ago. A sign of the demand for these type investments. You can find the answer to your question by delving further on this page.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/esg/

Vinny
That first page looked like the kind of vague meaningless B.S. you get at work from H.R. and whenever the CEO addresses the company.

I drilled down into the first fund and saw that Microsoft was their number one holding. Pretty sure I already hold a lot Microsoft in my funds so I guess I'm socially responsible after all.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:00 pm

I have high six figures in Vanguard's ESG index fund and I've made a ton of money in it. The expense ratio is 0.14%, which is not as low as 0.04% for VTSAX, but it's still pretty darn low. The fund has has outperformed VTSAX, and other ESG funds typically show the same pattern. It turns out companies trading in human misery, fucking up the planet, or defrauding their shareholders just don't make as much money as the ones that behave responsibly. My biggest complaint is actually that the inclusion criteria isn't strict enough for my tastes. The fund still has shares in Google, Facebook, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Pepsi, and Coke, none of which I'm a great fan of. Oh well, maybe there's hope someday.

I used to be a big believer in the power of making a buck overcoming prejudice about "green" "socially responsible" etc stuff. I figured, eventually people will have to come over once it's more socially responsible, better, and cheaper! But sadly I have been disappointed over the years. Oh well, more profits for me...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:00 pm
I have high six figures in Vanguard's ESG index fund and I've made a ton of money in it. The expense ratio is 0.14%, which is not as low as 0.04% for VTSAX, but it's still pretty darn low. The fund has has outperformed VTSAX, and other ESG funds typically show the same pattern. It turns out companies trading in human misery, fucking up the planet, or defrauding their shareholders just don't make as much money as the ones that behave responsibly. My biggest complaint is actually that the inclusion criteria isn't strict enough for my tastes. The fund still has shares in Google, Facebook, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Pepsi, and Coke, none of which I'm a great fan of. Oh well, maybe there's hope someday.

I used to be a big believer in the power of making a buck overcoming prejudice about "green" "socially responsible" etc stuff. I figured, eventually people will have to come over once it's more socially responsible, better, and cheaper! But sadly I have been disappointed over the years. Oh well, more profits for me...
hear, hear!!!!

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:26 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:04 am
But what do I know, I’m an asparagus :)
And they. . . are Blackrock, which tells you everything you need to know.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:30 am

From Catherine Austin Fitts (former Wall Street investment banker and Assistant Sec'y of HUD):
For many years I worked with a passion to create a financial model that would align our accounting, information, and government financial systems with places. My goal was to create a win-win relationship system-wide between people and living things and the financial system. We could generate immense capital gains and wealth from healing and nurturing the environment. Global citizens could take responsibility to implement real change through the allocation of their time and resources.

I say this to emphasize how important I believe a healthy environment is for all life—including yours and mine.

Our environmental problems are symptoms of an invisible governance system, which has a different map of reality than we do and appears to have different goals than ours. It has purposely engineered our accounting and information systems to ensure central control. If we are to change how we manage and interact with our environment, then first we must illuminate and evolve our governance system, and with it our accounting, information, and financial systems.

Consequently, I am often challenged trying to have an intelligent conversation with people passionate about the environment who are in a state of panic about this or that environmental issue or problem. What I often hear is that they are eager to generate more cost for people and families and more wealth and power of the invisible governance system. This, they feel, is not a problem since everything is such an emergency. . . .
https://home.solari.com/an-intelligent- ... vironment/
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:20 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:04 am
If companies and their shareholders can make more money being socially and ecologically responsible then why do we need government regulation at all?

It seems like a mutually exclusive ideology. If you believe we need government regulation then investing in socially responsible companies is done with the expectation of getting reduced return. Or if you think you can “beat the market” by investing in socially responsible companies then you should be against government regulation since the free market would realize all the excess profits to be has by “doing the right thing”
Vanguard's ESG fund is a purely private sector market-based affair so I'm not sure what kind of government regulation you're referring to.

But this very thread is an example of how prejudice and ideology get in the way of the kind of neutral and rational profit-maximizing that you believe will happen organically. ESG funds have consistently beaten the broad market for years, yet this thread is full of unsupported opinions about them which are completely disconnected from reality. They are assumed to lag the broad market when the opposite is true. They are assumed to have some connection to government regulations and mandates yet their emergence is a 100% private, market-based happenstance. And so on.

Believers in the utility and morality of a free market economic system should seek out sources of information that are as clear and factual as possible, and always be open to new information. Without this the price and information signal mechanisms of the market don't actually work for them.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:38 am

Passages found in that article:
– Governance: Who is really in charge? What are the facts of the UFO phenomenon? Who has the most powerful weaponry and military presence? Is there a “breakaway civilization”?
– Mind control: How do we protect our minds and maps of reality from mind control so we can have an intelligent conversation about governance and the environment?
– Smart grid: "Smart technology" is often proposed as a solution. However, this technology allows AI to access every aspect of our life, delivers more corporate control, and facilitates invasive mind control. Is more central control really a solution or is it the problem?
9. Invisible weaponry and technology:
– What is the state of our invisible weaponry and technology, and how does it relate to our weather, climate, and natural disasters?
– What are CERN and the other colliders, and how do they impact our magnetic core and natural and living systems?
To me the author of this article comes off as having a tenuous grip on reality.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:37 am
Maybe. But I personally have taken such an extreme negative view of constantly having left wing virtue signally shoved in my face that I actively avoid purchasing products from companies that do that, whenever possible. For instance, I will never again purchase anything made by Nike after their support of Colin Kaepernick.
Yes, this is another great example of what I mentioned earlier. :)

The left and their virtue signaling can be insufferable. However if you let this manipulate you into abandoning genuine virtue, you play right into their hands, because then you come to see virtue itself as bad and they can credibly claim you're a selfish jerk. It's possible to be upset over their sanctimony without ceding the moral high ground to them.

Regarding Nike, it's funny because on the left they are reviled for their support of overseas child labor sweatshops. What's a poor little global multibillion dollar corporation to do? ;D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:54 am

Larry Swedroe wrote a great piece on ESG/SRI funds a while back. Long story short is that it's not just a marketing gimmick. If these types of funds gather a fairly significant amount of AUM it will bid up prices of these more socially responsible companies. This means that the cost of capital for those companies is lower, and therefore your investment has a direct impact on their growth potential and market viability. Companies that are broadly not included in such indices will have higher costs of capital, and will therefore be less viable by definition.

You do, however, give up some expected return when investing in ESG/SRI funds.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:03 pm

I want to start an ETF for the unloved sectors...

* Alcohol Industry
* Tobacco
* Marijuana
* Coal and Oil
* Gambling Casinos
* Porn Industry
* Arms and Weapons Manufacturers
* Yachts and Private Planes for Billionaires

Ticker symbol... VICE

Edit: Never mind. It looks like that ticker is already taken.