Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Member requests banning and removal of all traces

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:01 pm

tennpaga wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:28 pm
Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:44 pm
I can see now that this forum has become a microcosm of what's happened to the Republican party: the loudest voices are kooks and trolls, overwhelming the thoughtful and reasonable people. No wonder most of them seem to have left. There's nothing left for me here. Go ahead and trash the place. It's already ruined.
I have been lurking this forum for a few months, thinking I might start posting again. I noticed PS began posting again, and was curious to see how it would turn out. Unfortunately, I agree with PS's assessment above. The assholes (you know who they are), plus the claims that non-libertarians should get the f*ck out illustrates what a sh!thole this place has become.

I no longer wish to be associated with this forum, past or present. I want all my posts to be deleted.

(Basically, you can't fight Gresham's law... see my signature.)

I have deleted 200 of my posts the last couple days. It is tedious, but worth the effort.

As a former moderator, I am aware that there is a tool called "Ban Hammer" which will ban a user PLUS delete all a users prior posts.

I am requesting that the forums moderators/admins please apply the Ban Hammer to me and my posts. Until then, I'll keep deleting.

I am also aware that there is at least one other member who feels similarly about his association with this place -- that is, he wishes all traces of his associations with GyroscopicInvesting be eliminated. I am posting this to let him know that Ban Hammer may meet his needs.

You know, I was going to find some posts by MediumTex that talked about people being friendly and courteous to each other, and how civility lubricates the conversation. But you know what? It isn't worth the effort. Because mostly, posters don't care.
Tenn, I miss you and your posts, as I did Pointedstick’s, Medium Tex and a few others. And mostly I agree with your analysis. However, this forum still has more “take the high road “ than almost all others I read even though it is tottering towards the cliff.

Blessings and my very best wishes to you.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:01 pm
tennpaga wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:28 pm
Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:44 pm
I can see now that this forum has become a microcosm of what's happened to the Republican party: the loudest voices are kooks and trolls, overwhelming the thoughtful and reasonable people. No wonder most of them seem to have left. There's nothing left for me here. Go ahead and trash the place. It's already ruined.
I have been lurking this forum for a few months, thinking I might start posting again. I noticed PS began posting again, and was curious to see how it would turn out. Unfortunately, I agree with PS's assessment above. The assholes (you know who they are), plus the claims that non-libertarians should get the f*ck out illustrates what a sh!thole this place has become.

I no longer wish to be associated with this forum, past or present. I want all my posts to be deleted.

(Basically, you can't fight Gresham's law... see my signature.)

I have deleted 200 of my posts the last couple days. It is tedious, but worth the effort.

As a former moderator, I am aware that there is a tool called "Ban Hammer" which will ban a user PLUS delete all a users prior posts.

I am requesting that the forums moderators/admins please apply the Ban Hammer to me and my posts. Until then, I'll keep deleting.

I am also aware that there is at least one other member who feels similarly about his association with this place -- that is, he wishes all traces of his associations with GyroscopicInvesting be eliminated. I am posting this to let him know that Ban Hammer may meet his needs.

You know, I was going to find some posts by MediumTex that talked about people being friendly and courteous to each other, and how civility lubricates the conversation. But you know what? It isn't worth the effort. Because mostly, posters don't care.
Tenn, I miss you and your posts, as I did Pointedstick’s, Medium Tex and a few others. And mostly I agree with your analysis. However, this forum still has more “take the high road “ than almost all others I read even though it is tottering towards the cliff.

Blessings and my very best wishes to you.

I may actually be the oldest surviving member of this forum except for MT and Craig although Mountaineer, PointedStick, Sophie, Libertarian666 and some others I apologize for not mentioning might give me a run for my money. This is because I came and went like Machine Ghost but I committed suicide on the way out vowing never to return and so had to assume a new identity.

So I understand you very well TennPa. And welcome back if you decide to return.
Last edited by pp4me on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:03 pm

tenn's request has been granted.. i am sad to see him .. or anyone go, i am sad to see the contribution he made leave with him..

best wishes...tenn
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:55 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm
I would like every post of mine deleted as well. This pains me because there is some pretty good stuff I wrote in the VP section on leveraged investing but I stayed here too long and this place has become something I no longer wish to be associated with in anyway past, present or future.

Please Ban Hammer away and delete my account as well.

M, I respectfully and completely disagree. There is zero high road here. However, a fantastic echo chamber of maybe 10-15 is rapidly forming.
Thank you Kbg for everything you have taught me.
Mark
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:22 pm

And this, folks, is a window into why the US is going to split apart.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:02 am

Sad to see people leave, but it's also pointless to beg people to stay in a place they don't want to be. What a pity.

For everyone leaving our forum, do take care!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:41 am

For those who feel the need to leave, please. . . just do it. . . graciously.

When a member makes a vitriolic, drama-filled exit, vowing never to return, and then shows up again and again--each time engineering a cataclysmic showdown in which he vows--once again--to leave and to never return. . . there's something seriously abusive and pathologic going on.

Is this how you run your lives in the real world? When you leave a job because you feel slighted, do you show up at your former workplace week after week, stirring the pot, attempting to build a constituency, aiming to create rifts, and, ultimately, to set off an explosion that will bring the entire workplace down? When you leave a relationship, do you take a baseball bat to your paramour's windshield or splash acid in her face because you can't tolerate the prospect of her actually moving on without you?

What do you expect to gain by bringing down this forum? Do you believe that by blowing things sky high on your way out you will somehow be vindicated? That your specialness and true worth to the forum will finally be recognized?

Get on with your lives. What should you care what others on this forum think? Find another forum that better suits you. They're out there. . . everywhere.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 am

Pointedstick was back for maybe a week before he split based on the same complaint that many other participants have brought up as we moved through this latest election cycle. Now Tenn is gone, Moda seems to have disappeared as well. Pretty soon this place will resemble Parler. Victory is close!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:39 am

Cognitive dissonance can be hard to deal with. If you only want to hang with people you agree with, this isn't the place.

I'll admit it gets on my nerves too. My own opinion is that politics leads to forum death, and we are headed there. I've seen it before more than once. Even if you can opt out. Because it bleeds over in hard feelings. If there is any hope to save the forum, I think the politics should be banned. I wouldn't go as far as the BH forum. For instance I would certainly want to discuss what happens to investments/health care/etc if Person A becomes US president, for example. Yeah, it's a slippery slope.

There are two members, on opposing "sides", who have been posting a great deal of insults. The two of you are a big cause of the recent decline. Yes, there are others, but especially two. And no, I don't care who started it. Above all, we should be here to discuss the PP. If any of you have no interest in that, why are you here?

While we are getting it all out, who was the member who caused the big kerfluffle a few months ago, attacking another member's account and posts and all that? I thought I knew, but recent activity makes it seem I was wrong.
Last edited by I Shrugged on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:46 am

the country is on edge.. i think there is a strong subconscious realization that half of us are about to have our world view shattered in some profound way.. and it could be either half..
somehow just the existence of a challenge to either world view, triggers a strong irrational fight or flight (trolling or bailing) response that is way out of proportion to the danger "some words in a sub forum on the internet" really represent...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:06 pm

It's a difficult balance to strike, but the BH forum is a popular place that banned political discussion for a reason. There's an old saying about friends wanting to stay friends not discussing politics or religion. This forum is quite rife with both. I understand the contention.

A compromise rule could be to allow political discussion to the extent in which it's actionable and demonstrably related to one's investments. A discussion about the Biden administration's proposed changes to tax rates for instance would clearly qualify. A discussion about Biden being the next Stalin would not. Not necessarily proposing the foregoing, but just food for thought.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm
I would like every post of mine deleted as well. This pains me because there is some pretty good stuff I wrote in the VP section on leveraged investing but I stayed here too long and this place has become something I no longer wish to be associated with in anyway past, present or future.

Please Ban Hammer away and delete my account as well.

M, I respectfully and completely disagree. There is zero high road here. However, a fantastic echo chamber of maybe 10-15 is rapidly forming.
I'm hopeful that the rate limiter will make the Politics subforum a bit more thoughtful and deliberate and less reactive. Kbg, are you willing to stick around to see whether that helps?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:12 pm

What’s the rate limiter?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:15 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:12 pm
What’s the rate limiter?
It’s a limit that’s put on rates.

Just kidding. Certain forum members can only post once every 4 hours.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Sorry, I assumed everyone had seen the new post on the topic in the sticky "you can opt out" for this forum. That's where the details are.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 am
This thread illustrates another amazing ability of President Trump: to smoke out a large number of lunatics who have been able up until now to pretend to be sane.
You’re the main culprit.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:32 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
This thread illustrates another amazing ability of President Trump: to smoke out a large number of lunatics who have been able up until now to pretend to be sane.
You’re the main culprit fool
I feel obliged to point out that calling each other "fool" is not a good way to recover civil discourse. But Budd is right in a way -- everybody who has been active in the Politics forum should take a look in the mirror and evaluate whether they've been part of the problem.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:38 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:32 am
buddtholomew wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
You’re the main culprit fool
I feel obliged to point out that calling each other "fool" is not a good way to recover civil discourse. But Budd is right in a way -- everybody who has been active in the Politics forum should take a look in the mirror and evaluate whether they've been part of the problem.
I removed “fool”, but damnit people only we ourselves can return this forum back to its glorious beginnings.

I would not be retired and living peacefully off of the PP if I had not encountered this forum 10+ years ago. Let’s not ruin the content with this constant bickering.

Maybe we can start 2021 with a moratorium on political discussions and focus on the PP instead.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:38 am

I removed “fool”, but damnit people only we ourselves can return this forum back to its glorious beginnings.

I would not be retired and living peacefully off of the PP if I had not encountered this forum 10+ years ago. Let’s not ruin the content with this constant bickering.

Maybe we can start 2021 with a moratorium on political discussions and focus on the PP instead.
Good for you Budd. I don't post a lot, but I have watched your arc, especially when gold was getting clobbered between (I think) 2013-2016 which was stressful.
Impressive that you stuck it through, and good to hear the word "peacefully" in your world now. As many of us have learned, the single hardest thing about the PP is sticking with it.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 am
While I agree with you Xan, and acknowledge that something probably needed to be done, I would point out that a 4 hour/post limit is tantamount to a complete ban.
I don't think that's true, it just requires some extra thought and planning.

My first choice actually was to have the 4 hour/post rule apply only in the Politics section, and have it apply to everybody. That doesn't seem to be an option.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:35 am

there has always been an unspoken agreement that the value of the forum, is the sum of the posters contributions, and there has been a shared goal of keeping that value high..

hopefully the 4 hr limit will act as a reminder of that fact,
-the events in the world that are getting us riled up to the point of forgetting it, are hurting all of us, lets hope it all turns out OK, and that cool heads can prevail at least here, in what should be an oasis from the madness and divisiveness that has infected the rest of the internet..

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am

glennds wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 am
buddtholomew wrote:

Good for you Budd. I don't post a lot, but I have watched your arc, especially when gold was getting clobbered between (I think) 2013-2016 which was stressful.
Impressive that you stuck it through, and good to hear the word "peacefully" in your world now. As many of us have learned, the single hardest thing about the PP is sticking with it.
This means a lot to me, thank you.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am
glennds wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 am
buddtholomew wrote:

This means a lot to me, thank you.
Good, just don't quit and delete your posts, because I'll need to refer back to your story to get me through the next period where gold reverses direction and the permanent portfolio starts to stink. Otherwise I'll end up dumping it..... again. And regretting doing so..... again. :-[
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
I would not be retired and living peacefully off of the PP if I had not encountered this forum 10+ years ago.
Say WHAT???? When did that happen??

The "Budd" I knew was terrified of the PP because of the gold and because it didn't perfectly track the stock market. I thought you were going to do a simple portfolio of stocks with a hefty side of cash? When did the change of heart happen?

But, "living peacefully off the PP" sounds like a great ending to the story. I just want to hear the middle part of it because I missed it.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 am
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 am
While I agree with you Xan, and acknowledge that something probably needed to be done, I would point out that a 4 hour/post limit is tantamount to a complete ban.
I don't think that's true, it just requires some extra thought and planning.

My first choice actually was to have the 4 hour/post rule apply only in the Politics section, and have it apply to everybody. That doesn't seem to be an option.
p.s. don't just pick on Libertarian666. There are a few prolific posters from the opposite side of the political spectrum who certainly did their part. Also, those other posters put up posts that were extremely difficult to read (walls of text, too much being quoted with almost no useful followup, off target comments). I haven't seen many posts from them so I assume they've been throttled as well.

I had found that putting them on "ignore" increased the readability of threads dramatically. However it was not a perfect solution since others would be led to respond to them, which often resulted in derailing threads. I would not want to see the politics subforum blocked, but it would be a good idea to keep politics out of other subforums.