Breaking News, Politics version

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Breaking News, Politics version

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:40 pm

Maddy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:44 pm
It's being reported just now that Antifa has taken over the streets of New York City, replete with riot gear. https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/13 ... t-video%2F
This is impossible. Trump and all his cronies have been kicked off social media. Someone has to explain how they caused this. Lefties please help.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:40 pm
Maddy wrote:
It's being reported just now that Antifa has taken over the streets of New York City, replete with riot gear. https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/13 ... t-video%2F
This is impossible. Trump and all his cronies have been kicked off social media. Someone has to explain how they caused this. Lefties please help.
Apparently it's being reported by a guy who has written a book about.... Antifa.

There's a Paypal link where you can donate money to him if you're interested.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:16 pm

SomeDude wrote:

Maddy wrote:

I just did a search on this.

I think I witnessed the proverbial "echo chamber" as everywhere that was reporting the story reported it in the same was--seemingly all from the same source.

All I have been able to see is the same two extremely close cropped videos.

Anyone able to find anything else beyond that?

How many is "large"? Is 10 "large"? 20 "large"? How many were there? Is this not a simple thing to report to go along with the extremely close cropped videos? Or, were those video so extremely close cropped so as to pander to a certain audience?

Just did a search here for antifa: https://www.foxnews.com/.

Surely if this was something of any consequence Fox News would have been reporting it in some way? No one is censoring them these days, are they?

I'll wait until someone can do a better search than I can and tell the rest of us more details about this, including how "large" the mob was. With those details coming from some credible site. Fox News is a paragon of credibility compared to some of the extremely biased and fringe sources I've seen cited here.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Maddy wrote:
Apparently it's being reported by a guy who has written a book about.... Antifa.

Andy Ngo is pretty well-known. Yes, many on the left consider him a fraud. They also accuse him of editing videos in a way that it makes the right look better. I don’t know, he’s out there getting footage and he often does get punched or otherwise attacked. he’s not perfect, but i like him.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 pm
glennds wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
Maddy wrote:

Andy Ngo is pretty well-known. Yes, many on the left consider him a fraud. They also accuse him of editing videos in a way that it makes the right look better. I don’t know, he’s out there getting footage and he often does get punched or otherwise attacked. he’s not perfect, but i like him.
I’ve watched his Portland videos and they match what I’ve seen firsthand in three trips through town last year.

I’m sick to my stomach at what they did to a great city. Well, not so much sick at them. Sick at the feckless pseudo males that sat back and let a wonderful place devolve into a shithole.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 pm

glennds wrote:

SomeDude wrote:

Maddy wrote:

I'd never heard of him until reading what you wrote above. When I went to his Twitter page from the link that started all of this I did not even take notice of his name. But after you did bring his name to my attention this is what I found.

Vinny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Ngo

Several media outlets, including The Oregonian and The Rolling Stone have been critical of Ngo and described him as a "right-wing provocateur".[22][23][24][25][26][27][28] BuzzFeed News said that "Ngo's work is probably best described as media activism" and that he engages in "participant reporting".[3] New York magazine cites Ngo as an example of "busybody journalism."[16] In April 2019, the conservative news and opinion website The Bulwark stated that some of Ngo's tweets "were so obscure they smacked of outrage mining" following the fires at the Notre-Dame cathedral.[29]

He has also been accused of using selectively edited videos and sharing misleading and inaccurate information to paint antifa activists as violent, and to underplay the violence of the far-right.[23][34][35][36][37][38][39][40]

The Portland-based newspaper Willamette Week stated that "it is increasingly clear he is coordinating his movements and his message with right-wing groups".[65] Bernstein reported that "[Ngo]'s literal brand is that anti-fascists are violent and loathe him", adding that he "has been building to a dramatic confrontation with the Portland far left for months, his star rising along with the severity of the encounters." Bernstein stated that Ngo "is willing to make himself the story and to stream himself doing it. He proceeds from a worldview and seeks to confirm it, without asking to what degree his coverage becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy", pointing out that Ngo even proposed going to "a far-left hangout" during the writing of the profile piece.[3]
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:57 pm
The Portland-based newspaper Willamette Week stated that "it is increasingly clear he is coordinating his movements and his message with right-wing groups".[65] Bernstein reported that "[Ngo]'s literal brand is that anti-fascists are violent and loathe him", adding that he "has been building to a dramatic confrontation with the Portland far left for months, his star rising along with the severity of the encounters." Bernstein stated that Ngo "is willing to make himself the story and to stream himself doing it. He proceeds from a worldview and seeks to confirm it, without asking to what degree his coverage becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy", pointing out that Ngo even proposed going to "a far-left hangout" during the writing of the profile piece.[3]
Vinny, I can't blame you for what you read.

I lived 25 years in Portland. The Willamette Week is pure propaganda. The Oregonian only slightly less so. I wish I could take you through a tour downtown from 5 years ago and then again today. Even in 2013, when I left, Antifa was gaining momentum. It would be a rare day you could walk downtown without seeing the benighted throwing shit and yelling 'fuck the police'. I would probably be a little more condemnatory than Ngo is, but he is certainly not exaggerating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:51 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Vinny, I can't blame you for what you read.

I lived 25 years in Portland. The Willamette Week is pure propaganda. The Oregonian only slightly less so. I wish I could take you through a tour downtown from 5 years ago and then again today. Even in 2013, when I left, Antifa was gaining momentum. It would be a rare day you could walk downtown without seeing the benighted throwing shit and yelling 'fuck the police'. I would probably be a little more condemnatory than Ngo is, but he is certainly not exaggerating.

From what I've read of you here, you have the highest creditability with me. I've never read anything you have written that I've doubted.

My only exposure to Ngo was what I saw today. It seems to go exactly along with this:

He has also been accused of using selectively edited videos and sharing misleading and inaccurate information to paint antifa activists as violent,

All I have seen are two extreme closely cropped videos which seemed to be done purposely to mislead. I am also still waiting for someone to document how "large" that mob was.

Thanks for your improving my education of Portland now and then. Prior to this summer all I ever thought of Portland was this:

. After being selected as the first overall pick in the 1974 NBA draft, Walton led the Portland Trail Blazers to an NBA championship in 1977, earning the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award that season.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:59 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:57 pm
I'd never heard of him until reading what you wrote above. When I went to his Twitter page from the link that started all of this I did not even take notice of his name. But after you did bring his name to my attention this is what I found.

Vinny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Ngo

Several media outlets, including The Oregonian and The Rolling Stone have been critical...

I’m not going to quote your whole paste because it doesn’t really say anything that I said in a few lines.

I’ll tell you about one of the selectively edited videos: During one of those MAGA protests, a bunch of BLM activists ganged up on a white dude, attacked him more than once and always from behind, and one guy took him out with what must have been an iron rod up his sleeve (also from behind).

Yes, the victim probably wouldn’t like me very much for being a Hebrew. And yes, the video was edited: Ngo left out the part where the white dude pushed another white dude with a megaphone yelling for him to get out of town. Pushed him.

This is what the left was angry about. Person after person angrily tweeting that Ngo had “doctored” or otherwise messed with the video. As if they were otherwise ok with these people attacking him* from behind, knocking him down with a deadly weapon, and — oh by the way stomping on him and stealing his phone after he was down and bloodied. I don’t know if the guy is even still alive.

But he did push megaphone guy to the ground. And Andy Ngo, although he did leave the source’s name of the original video intact, making it easy to find, did chop off that pushing scene.

*him = the white dude, not Ngo, who is of Vietnamese extraction.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 am

BREAKING:

PBS Principal Counsel Michael Beller has this to say:
“Go to the White House & throw Molotov cocktails...”

“Even if Biden wins, we go for all the Republican voters, Homeland Security will take their children away…”
THIS is what libertarian conservatives are up against. The Progressive Left has, in fact, declared war on the American people, and it's our tax dollars that are being used to fund it.

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/stat ... 5628288006
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 am

Maddy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 am
BREAKING:

PBS Principal Counsel Michael Beller has this to say:
“Go to the White House & throw Molotov cocktails...”

“Even if Biden wins, we go for all the Republican voters, Homeland Security will take their children away…”
THIS is what libertarian conservatives are up against. The Progressive Left has, in fact, declared war on the American people, and it's our tax dollars that are being used to fund it.

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/stat ... 5628288006
What a disgusting man.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Simonjester wrote:
Washington (CNN) Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated that he believes that impeaching President Donald Trump will make it easier to get rid of the President and Trumpism from the Republican Party, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

if the republicans purge the "trump supporters" or the "new populism" the republican party is dead nobody outside of bill Kristol's dinner party friends want the neocons back....
That's funny. I think the neocons are living in a fantasy world.

Tulsi Gabbard made the point the other day that a lot of what the GOP did in congress was just for show. The party might die. Something similar will replace it, and maybe something better.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm

It would be nice to see something moderate come along whether slightly left-leaning or right-leaning. Not Q Anon, not AOC, just something sane.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Simonjester wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 pm

That's funny. I think the neocons are living in a fantasy world.

Tulsi Gabbard made the point the other day that a lot of what the GOP did in congress was just for show. The party might die. Something similar will replace it, and maybe something better.
happy to see the republican party die... they are just a "for show" opposition to keep the real uni-party obscured from view... (not that the last 4 years and the sudden turn on trump this week didn't tell the observant that this was the case anyway..)
The Republicans who turned Judas should get all the patriots political energy directed against them. I'd rather have dems take 100% of public office than see another spineless boot licking disloyal repuke talk about "our values". They act like their voters and dems have some kind of shared values. Still not sure what those are.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 am

SomeDude wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 pm

The Republicans who turned Judas should get all the patriots political energy directed against them.

You mean like the people who screamed at Lindsey Graham at the airport? They seem like terrible human beings to me, the other side of antifa, and together with antifa they should be deported before they bring hell on earth to regular Americans.
I'd rather have dems take 100% of public office than see another spineless boot licking disloyal repuke talk about "our values". They act like their voters and dems have some kind of shared values. Still not sure what those are.
For starters, how about freedom from harassment, from being shouted at in airports, from having their cars blocked on the streets of Portland. The extreme minority on both sides is ruining life for everyone else.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm
Okay, so we started at 40% who believed there was fraud, now we're down to 33% who believe there was net fraud in the Biden direction. It doesn't say anything about there being sufficient fraud to swing the election, which would be yet a lower number.
Actually, it's 33% who believe that "fraud helped Joe Biden win the election", per SomeDude's post.

I myself originally thought that the fraud that did exist was not much different from what's probably always happened during elections, and was neither systemic nor widespread enough to have altered the election outcome. And, it's certainly believable that there are a lot of people who might have voted Republican except for detesting Trump himself.

I was swayed to think otherwise by the statistical demonstration of 2am vote dumps occurring only in blue cities located in the swing states - and not in any of the blue cities located in uncontested states, backed up by thousands of supporting affidavits. And that nearly all of the dumped ballots cast a vote for Biden but did not vote in any of the downballot races. This is hard to explain except by a nationally organized, systematic plan to overturn the election results. This was described in a very well documented article in American Conservative...sorry don't have time to hunt for it.

However, even if you set aside election fraud, there are plenty of reasons for Trump voters to be angry. The mainstream media are a powerful force that clearly was 100% behind the Democrats, and were not at all subtle about it. This was an in-kind contribution to the Biden campaign that technically could be considered a violation of campaign finance laws. Social media (Twitter, Youtube, Facebook) have also acted against conservative interests, and therefore could also be considered to be in violation.

For example, the Senate is voting to impeach Trump because he inspired some rioters to storm the Capitol building. Fair enough, but why didn't they impeach or at least censure Kamala Harris for doing precisely the same thing to incite BLM riots in Portland and elsewhere? It's because Kamala Harris's statement, while captured on Youtube, was not publicized to the same degree as Trump's. And what about Chuck Schumer's threatening statement regarding Supreme Court justices?

So no, I don't think the anger is going to go away and I stand by my statement that it's well justified. As I said, much depends on the course pursued by Biden's administration in the next couple of years. If he came out and stated that some of Trump's ideas were correct but he's going to implement them in a way that makes sense, plus adding some popularly-supported programs of his own, he'll do much better than if they come out swinging with proposals to pack the Supreme Court, throw open the southern border, and provide free medical care to illegal aliens.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 am
SomeDude wrote:

The Republicans who turned Judas should get all the patriots political energy directed against them.

You mean like the people who screamed at Lindsey Graham at the airport? They seem like terrible human beings to me, the other side of antifa, and together with antifa they should be deported before they bring hell on earth to regular Americans.
I'd rather have dems take 100% of public office than see another spineless boot licking disloyal repuke talk about "our values". They act like their voters and dems have some kind of shared values. Still not sure what those are.
For starters, how about freedom from harassment, from being shouted at in airports, from having their cars blocked on the streets of Portland. The extreme minority on both sides is ruining life for everyone else.
I don't see much value in screaming at people at an airport, but all the repukes who sided with the fraud should lose their primaries and general elections.

Shouting at people at an airport isn't likely to achieve any positive results, but it's been the tactic of the left for a long time, as well as threats of harm to politicians and their families. It's basically the Maxine Waters doctrine. And they are running everything now so maybe she is on to something with it.

The lefties do it to their enemies though, not traitors, because lefties never betray their side. They don't care what crimes someone commits or how personally repugnant they are, they only care about loyalty.

These people are yelling at traitors. You basically never see this from the right against the left because for the most part we look at them as misguided children or so utterly evil at the top that what's the point of confronting them? Traitors are way worse than your enemy so the vitriol is understandable.

Ohhh I forgot, Graham and Romney and the rest supported Biden fraudulent coronation because that's our values now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 am

SomeDude wrote:

I don't see much value in screaming at people at an airport, but all the repukes who sided with the fraud should lose their primaries and general elections.

Shouting at people at an airport isn't likely to achieve any positive results, but it's been the tactic of the left for a long time, as well as threats of harm to politicians and their families. It's basically the Maxine Waters doctrine. And they are running everything now so maybe she is on to something with it.

The lefties do it to their enemies though, not traitors, because lefties never betray their side. They don't care what crimes someone commits or how personally repugnant they are, they only care about loyalty.

These people are yelling at traitors. You basically never see this from the right against the left because for the most part we look at them as misguided children or so utterly evil at the top that what's the point of confronting them? Traitors are way worse than your enemy so the vitriol is understandable.

Ohhh I forgot, Graham and Romney and the rest supported Biden fraudulent coronation because that's our values now.

Of course you'd never see reprehensible behavior from the sainted right....

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (85.02 KiB) Viewed 4284 times
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks for making my point Vinny. This behavior comes from the left towards the right all the time, but I can't recall ever seeing it go the other way. I'm sure it has at some point, but it's probably a 100 to 1 ratio.

The article you linked to or quoted or whatever shows it was "righties" threatening traitors on their own side, like I said was happening. Again this is behavior I've never really seen on the left because they are incredibly loyal. Whereas you have traitor repukes in Congress condemning the righteous indignation of the election fraud protestors, all year long Dem politicians refused to condemn violence from their people (BLM/Antifa/etc.).

I've heard it said, and probably said it myself that the left doesn't have values. It's not true. They value loyalty. it's the only real criteria for being on the team. No matter what you support the team to the bitter end regardless of ANYTHING.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:08 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 pm

I just happen to see this in the local news https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/7/2 ... r-sullivan.

A Utah native who supports BLM claimed to be documenting the protest activity but is seen in the recordings “kicking vehicles and threatening drivers” and directing protesters to block intersections.

I'll have to do some more research, but would be an interesting development if there are other people associated with left-wing organizations such as Insurgence USA (antifa) or BLM that incited violence at the capitol.

It just continues to amaze me that statements like that are made which can only lead to a few conclusions. Trump supporters are sheep in every way. Not only do they follow his every command but outsiders, unknown to them, can cause them to do things that they'd not otherwise do. Therefore, Trump supporters must be the most gullible, easily led people in the world.

Did you not hear Representative Keven McCarthy, a Trump sycophant of the highest order, himself on the House floor yesterday declare that it was clear that there were no such outsiders involved and that Trump was clearly responsible for what happened? He could not bring himself to actually vote for Impeachment but he was willing to go far enough to vote for a Censure.

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:26 pm

[deleted]