Woke Corporations

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Woke Corporations

Post by pp4me » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 am

Glenn Greenwald hitting it out of the park again on the danger of Corporate Wokeness - comparing it to the actions of intelligence agencies. ....

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/big-co ... oying-woke
When it comes time to identify the root causes of social pathologies, we will look elsewhere. The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the corporate class and the ways they abuse and eliminate labor, control government, and destroy the working and middle classes will be impossible to see, as we are all blinded by the glare of their virtuous Instagram posts about racial justice and their unified campaigns against voter suppression. In an instant of swooning over their benevolent devotion to social justice, we will forget what they actually exist to do. When we work to harness their power to support our own political causes, we forget about how out of control and menacing that power is, and what it is most often used for. And that is exactly the way they want it.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Woke Corporations

Post by doodle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the corporate class and the ways they abuse and eliminate labor, control government, and destroy the working and middle classes will be impossible to see,
Yet grassroots organized workers programs that would exist outside the sphere of government intervention and could perhaps combat this are communist.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:07 pm

This is no surprise. It's been amply apparent for quite some time that the "progressive" left is all about corporatism and lining the pockets of the Elite. Does anyone still think the dems have even the slightest concern for the average working schlub?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 pm

There has to be a collision, a reckoning, among left constituent groups at some point. Labor in particular seems oblivious to what the rest of the left is doing to their jobs. Will they be happy with just bread and circuses instead of jobs?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 pm

doodle wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the corporate class and the ways they abuse and eliminate labor, control government, and destroy the working and middle classes will be impossible to see,
Yet grassroots organized workers programs that would exist outside the sphere of government intervention and could perhaps combat this are communist.
Your avatar is telling me you ARE a communist which automatically tunes me out from anything you have to say.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Disney entertainment chief says ABC passes on 'incredibly well-written scripts' because they don't meet new diversity standards

'I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them,' Walden [chairman of entertainment for Walt Disney Television] said during the panel discussion.

Walden admitted that ABC even passed on one show about a white family that would have included a diverse cast of friends and neighbors.

'Pass. That's not going to get on the air anymore because that's not what our audience wants. That's not a reflection of our audience, and I feel good about the direction we're moving,' she said.
link
Passing on incredibly well-written scripts seems like a dumb move to me, but then again, I'm not a chairman of a major entertainment corporation.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:36 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 pm
Disney entertainment chief says ABC passes on 'incredibly well-written scripts' because they don't meet new diversity standards

'I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them,' Walden [chairman of entertainment for Walt Disney Television] said during the panel discussion.

Walden admitted that ABC even passed on one show about a white family that would have included a diverse cast of friends and neighbors.

'Pass. That's not going to get on the air anymore because that's not what our audience wants. That's not a reflection of our audience, and I feel good about the direction we're moving,' she said.
link
Passing on incredibly well-written scripts seems like a dumb move to me, but then again, I'm not a chairman of a major entertainment corporation.
They have no freaking idea what their audience wants (or they do, but just don't care). That's just virtue signalling.

Look at the ratings of professional sports. The woker they get, the lower their TV ratings go,
Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, that's what we are all clamoring for in our TV and movie scripts and sports games. They should come up with a DIE rating, don't you think?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:29 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:36 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 pm

link
They have no freaking idea what their audience wants (or they do, but just don't care). That's just virtue signalling.

Look at the ratings of professional sports. The woker they get, the lower their TV ratings go,
The problem is the fracturing of entertainment with streaming etc. means that traditional ratings are going down for everything. So media corporations can tell themselves that it’s not their wokeness killing sports or awards shows, it’s just the new landscape everyone is dealing with.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:35 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:30 pm

the 93rd Academy Awards ceremony tanked to unimaginable lows. The 2021 Oscars fell more than 50% year-over-year in overnight ratings. Here’s a look at the past three years:

2021: 8.9/19

2020: 18.1/33

2019: 21.6/36

Last week, an Oscars producer who spoke on the condition of anonymity told the New York Times data found that “minute-by-minute post-show ratings analysis indicated that ‘vast swaths’ of people turned off their televisions when celebrities started to opine on politics.”

source

How many people have ever watched them? Have watched them with any regularity?

I've never seen them.

The only real commercial TV I see is baseball & basketball related. Watching something like the Academy of Awards broken up by commercials has never had any appeal to me.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:54 pm

Just because you are a good faker, that is actor, does that make your opinion on politics any better than somebody else's? What if you are a good basketball player?

I rarely watch movies, and the only sports I watch is tennis. As soon as Andy Murray, the insipidly defensive tennis player, starts opining on politics I turn it off.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:35 pm
MangoMan wrote:
the 93rd Academy Awards ceremony tanked to unimaginable lows. The 2021 Oscars fell more than 50% year-over-year in overnight ratings. Here’s a look at the past three years:

Last week, an Oscars producer who spoke on the condition of anonymity told the New York Times data found that “minute-by-minute post-show ratings analysis indicated that ‘vast swaths’ of people turned off their televisions when celebrities started to opine on politics.”
source

I've never seen them.

The only real commercial TV I see is baseball & basketball related. Watching something like the Academy of Awards broken up by commercials has never had any appeal to me.
Who is Oscar? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 am

vnatale wrote:

MangoMan wrote:

source

I've never seen them.

??? The question was already answered in my post that you responded to. From 2019 to 2021 that's a drop of 50% in raw numbers, which apparently were previously enough viewers to make it profitable to televise.

When I said "people" I thought it was understood that I was referring to the "people" in this forum.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am
vnatale wrote:

I've never seen them.

When I said "people" I thought it was understood that I was referring to the "people" in this forum.
If you would have said "How many of you/you all/y'all/my esteemed forumites" instead of "How many people," there would have been no misunderstanding.

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:57 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am

vnatale wrote:

I've never seen them.

If you would have said "How many of you/you all/y'all/my esteemed forumites" instead of "How many people," there would have been no misunderstanding.

You are correct.

I knew what I meant when I wrote what I wrote. But I can also see how it was not interpreted as I meant it.