Masks Revealed as the Political Symbol They Are (And Have Always Been)

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Masks Revealed as the Political Symbol They Are (And Have Always Been)

Post by Maddy » Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am

Yesterday, the CDC announced that it would no longer be recommending masks for the vaccinated. In today's news, it appears that the "progressive" Left is all in an uproar, with many of them declaring their intention to continue wearing a mask regardless of "the science." Comments such as "You'll have to pry my mask off my face" are all over the internet.

Quite coincidentally, my (avowed democrat--vehemently anti-Trump) FedEx driver stopped and chatted yesterday. He was wearing a mask for the first time because the dust on these back roads is so bad. He joked that he didn't want to be mistaken for a Trump supporter.

So here we have it. As I have always believed, those ridiculous snot diapers are, first and foremost, a political symbol.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Masks Revealed as the Political Symbol They Are (And Have Always Been)

Post by SomeDude » Sat May 15, 2021 6:14 am

Maddy wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am
Yesterday, the CDC announced that it would no longer be recommending masks for the vaccinated. In today's news, it appears that the "progressive" Left is all in an uproar, with many of them declaring their intention to continue wearing a mask regardless of "the science." Comments such as "You'll have to pry my mask off my face" are all over the internet.

Quite coincidentally, my (avowed democrat--vehemently anti-Trump) FedEx driver stopped and chatted yesterday. He was wearing a mask for the first time because the dust on these back roads is so bad. He joked that he didn't want to be mistaken for a Trump supporter.

So here we have it. As I have always believed, those ridiculous snot diapers are, first and foremost, a political symbol.
They are first and foremost a religious garment Maddy. The maskless people like you and I are heretics. It's all faith based. Few people are this zealous about politics.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat May 15, 2021 8:00 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am
I read something yesterday that says Lefties will continue to wear masks just as rabid righties wore MAGA hats. It's actually a good analogy. Even tho I lean right, you'd never catch me in a MAGA hat. Just a bunch of silly virtue signalling.
People wearing MAGA hats were expressing support for a person, a political movement, and in most cases i think, what they consider traditional American values.

What type of political statement do you (or anyone) think the mask wearers are making?

I am sure the mask wearing skew hard to the left or Dems, but i think that's more likely because they are afraid of covid, more apt to confirm to who they think are authorities, and less socially comfortable (they like covering their face).
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:00 am
MangoMan wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am
I read something yesterday that says Lefties will continue to wear masks just as rabid righties wore MAGA hats. It's actually a good analogy. Even tho I lean right, you'd never catch me in a MAGA hat. Just a bunch of silly virtue signalling.
People wearing MAGA hats were expressing support for a person, a political movement, and in most cases i think, what they consider traditional American values.

What type of political statement do you (or anyone) think the mask wearers are making?

I am sure the mask wearing skew hard to the left or Dems, but i think that's more likely because they are afraid of covid, more apt to confirm to who they think are authorities, and less socially comfortable (they like covering their face).
It’s also true that some people on both sides just want to antagonize the other side.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am

Before Covid, certain businesses explicitly prohibited masks on customers for security reasons. For example, my local credit union used to have a sign at the entrance saying no sunglasses, hats, or masks.

Maybe eventually, avid mask-wearers can switch to wearing Fauci t-shirts to signal their political tribe membership? Last I heard, Fauci still thinks everyone should mask up and that it should probably even be a yearly/seasonal thing going forward.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat May 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Maddy wrote:

So in other words, the mask has been unmasked?
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Sat May 15, 2021 3:30 pm

So how long will it be before a wokester proclaims that no one will take his mask until they pry it from his/her/zir/them cold, dead hands?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm

I took the family to the lowry park zoo in Tampa today. It was jam packed zero parking, thousands of guests.

Id put mask wearing at maybe 2%. Jammed. And that includes indoor areas.

Staff had masks on indoors.

The majority of mask wearers were non white. I am 100% certain exactly zero percent of them were making a political statement of any kind.

I hope the mask wearing dies out quickly as the people wearing them look weirder and weirder. This was always one of the keys to curing covid in my mind. Take off the weirdo masks.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Sat May 15, 2021 8:33 pm

"They are first and foremost a religious garment Maddy. The maskless people like you and I are heretics. It's all faith based. Few people are this zealous about politics."

Exactly.

And lil tony frauducci is their prophet.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Mask? No Mask? New Rules Leave Americans Recalibrating, Hour by Hour

The C.D.C. said fully vaccinated people could safely go most places without a mask. Not everyone was sure, or ready.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/us/c ... icans.html

The new guidance seemed to scramble all the presumptions people had come to understand about who wears masks and who does not.

Someone with no mask might still signify that they oppose masks and doubt the risks of Covid-19 � or it now might meann the person is fully vaccinated and following C.D.C. guidance to the letter. And someone with a mask might now be signaling their support for virus-control efforts but rejection of the latest C.D.C. guidance � or it might meean that a person is unvaccinated and following the rules to stay masked. Or it might mean something else altogether. Easy labels have vanished.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:14 am
Maddy wrote:

They are first and foremost a religious garment Maddy. The maskless people like you and I are heretics. It's all faith based. Few people are this zealous about politics.
As with many religious people, for many of these it's about being holier than thou, and wearing your righteousness on your sleeve so to speak.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am

People who continue to wear masks despite the revised CDC guidelines may well have a medical reason for doing so. Like active TB, for example--especially in view of the vast number of infected individuals streaming through the southern border. Accordingly, my approach going forward will be to stay a good distance away from anyone wearing a mask, and to ask them point-blank whether they have TB. It's high time that the real public health threats are recognized and that individuals suspicious for TB are appropriately removed from public settings.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 am

Maddy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am
People who continue to wear masks despite the revised CDC guidelines may well have a medical reason for doing so. Like active TB, for example--especially in view of the vast number of infected individuals streaming through the southern border. Accordingly, my approach going forward will be to stay a good distance away from anyone wearing a mask, and to ask them point-blank whether they have TB. It's high time that the real public health threats are recognized and that individuals suspicious for TB are appropriately removed from public settings.
Sorry Maddy - to late - The New York times states you will be a bully for pointing out folks in masks -

They're Vaccinated and Keeping Their Masks On, Maybe Forever
https://www.yahoo.com/news/theyre-vacci ... 30683.html

"In interviews, vaccinated people who continue to wear masks said they are increasingly under pressure, especially in recent days; friends and family have urged them to relax, or even have suggested that they are paranoid. On a recent trip to the grocery store, Glickman said he was stared down by a man who entered, unmasked."

Pointing out YOU didn't wear your mask outside - following the science

Pointing out THEY no longer need the mask based on science - Bullying
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon May 17, 2021 10:48 am

Maddy wrote:
Would you appreciate it if some random person on the street began interrogating you about your health status and personal medical information?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Maddy wrote:
Probably best to do what we've always done with people walking around wearing masks, stay away from them.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon May 17, 2021 12:55 pm

What if I wear a MAGA hat and a mask?
Will everyone hate me?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon May 17, 2021 1:02 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:48 am
Would you appreciate it if some random person on the street began interrogating you about your health status and personal medical information?
Absolutely not! I say that as one who has endured not only interrogation (regarding my unwillingness to wear a mask), but who has received her share of nasty looks and snarky comments for daring to challenge the mandate--and who, for the last year, has been berated every minute of the day and night by the disdainful commentary of a Marxist media.

But in the spirit of intellectual curiosity, if nothing else, I thought it might be edifying to don the mental mantle of a good global citizen which, I am told, requires active beratement of those who make me feel uncomfortable or unsafe, and which favors peer pressure and outright coercion as a tool for bringing resistors back into line.

So for God's sake, give me a few kudos for being open-minded enough to explore, for a while, the merits of the Alinsky system.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon May 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:02 pm

So for God's sake, give me a few kudos for being open-minded enough to explore, for a while, the merits of the Alinsky system.
Well you were the catalyst for me to look up the Alinsky system and it would seem I learned something new today. So kudos for that.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon May 17, 2021 2:07 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Maddy wrote:
Probably best to do what we've always done with people walking around wearing masks, stay away from them.
Ironic that you just made a pretty good case for wearing a mask.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon May 17, 2021 2:54 pm

For all you who play DnD or other d20 games, would you have your PC wear a ring even if it "only" gave you +1 (5%) to some saving throws?

(Assuming had nothing better of course).

I'll keep wearing mine inside / around crowds with strangers.

I have eaten outside at restaurants, so not totally isolating, but figure wearing a mask don't hurt and might help a little, covid and others.

I'll focus for the time being on getting germs from friends as soon as our schedules align
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Why not also wear a helmet while walking around both at home and in public?

In the off chance that you stumble and fall, it may protect you from a head injury or even death.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 17, 2021 3:32 pm

gary-larsen.png
gary-larsen.png (41.55 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Mon May 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Let's assume your politics reflect the far right. Maybe you even wear a MAGA hat (your choice). You have been vaccinated. You mind your own business and allow others to wear or not wear a mask as they choose. So, now if you choose to still wear a mask you are a jerk? You have no freedom of choice, right?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon May 17, 2021 6:00 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:07 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Maddy wrote:
Ironic that you just made a pretty good case for wearing a mask.
Ahahahah nice 😁