The Border

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Border

Post by pp4me » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Joe Biden finally took a bold stand about securing the Southern border from the onslaught of Haitian immigrants.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... he-border/

Horses will no longer be used.

Sarcasm intended.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Border

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:36 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm
Joe Biden finally took a bold stand about securing the Southern border from the onslaught of Haitian immigrants.

Sarcasm intended.
Do you applaud Biden for shipping the Haitians back to Haiti?
I guess the alternative would have been to grant them refugee status and let them stay in the US.

https://apnews.com/article/health-mexic ... 7ef0015485
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:36 pm
pp4me wrote:

Sarcasm intended.
Do you approve of Biden shipping the Haitians back to Haiti?
I guess the alternative would have been to grant them refugee status and let them stay in the US.

https://apnews.com/article/health-mexic ... 7ef0015485
If living in a "shit-hole" country qualifies for refugee status we're sure to have gazillions of refugees from around the world. I don't think that's currently the legal qualification for being a refugee, as though that even seems to matter.

My wife, who is a legal immigrant from the Philippines has a very good solution whenever the subject comes up. She says let them all camp out at Nancy Pelosi's house.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:11 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 pm

If living in a "shit-hole" country qualifies for refugee status we're sure to have gazillions of refugees from around the world. I don't think that's currently the legal qualification for being a refugee, as though that even seems to matter.
Well besides being a "shit-hole" country, the present issue in Haiti is the earthquake that struck there in August. It killed 220,000 and displaced an estimated 1.5 million. Then tropical storm Grace hit three days later which by itself would have been bad, but because it hit in the aftermath of the earthquake, the hurricane damage was compounded. The people showing up at the border are generally believed to be many of the displaced.

Not that I'm suggesting any Haitians deserve refugee/asylum status, or anything else for that matter. Just pointing out that there is more going on in Haiti at the moment than you seem to think.

However you raise an interesting legal question about the qualifications for refugee status. I didn't do a deep dive on it, but from what I can tell, being a victim of a natural disaster does not meet the legal criteria, and this may be why Biden is shipping them back rather than grant entry. If so, then he's not making some sort of judgment call, rather just complying with the existing law in repatriating them. Do you feel he should be doing something different?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:39 pm

pp4me wrote:

Sarcasm intended.
Funny enough, after they debunked the "whipping" disinformation on Timcast, Ian gets pissed and says something like, "the thing that I hate the most, is that people believe this and it's going to lead them to stupid decisions. Like, they'll probably say that you can't use horses to patrol the border or something."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm

A lot of mish mash going on now.

Most of the Hatians have been refugees in South America for many years. They have migrated to Del Rio upon hearing that Biden was allowing them in.

Biden has transported a few to Haiti for appearance's sake, but the majority are being admitted into the US on NTA (Notice to Appear) which suggests that they should check in within 6 months but doesn't mandate any court date.

Virtually none of the Haitians are arriving from Haiti. More than 80% are from Chile.

haitians.jpg
haitians.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 pm

If anyone is in any doubt as to how open the US borders are, this is me just last April.

road closed.jpeg
road closed.jpeg (218.87 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Very interesting. I've asked around about this mish mash, and this is what some people are saying:

The Haitian refugees are indeed Chilean-Haitians who have migrated up a 5000 mile transcontinental overland route to Del Rio. They have done so at the invitation of the Biden administration. A few token Haitians have been repatriated back to Haiti, mostly for the cameras and to throw bait at the MSM.
Once through, these Haitians are being planted in various suburban communities, mostly in swing states where Biden is giving them money to to buy homes, prop the housing bubble and vote Dem.
Money courtesy of the Fed.

No mention of vaccines. With a little luck if some infections get through, the pandemic continues.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 pm
Very interesting. I've asked around about this mish mash, and this is what some people are saying:

The Haitian refugees are indeed Chilean-Haitians who have migrated up a 5000 mile transcontinental overland route to Del Rio. They have done so at the invitation of the Biden administration. A few token Haitians have been repatriated back to Haiti, mostly for the cameras and to throw bait at the MSM.
Once through, these Haitians are being planted in various suburban communities, mostly in swing states where Biden is giving them money to to buy homes, prop the housing bubble and vote Dem.

No mention of vaccines. With a little luck if some infections get through, the pandemic continues.

The AP has a fairly neutral account - with a bit less conspiracy thrown around in either direction.
DEL RIO, Texas (AP) — Many Haitian migrants camped in a small Texas border town are being released in the United States, two U.S. officials said Tuesday, undercutting the Biden administration’s public statements that the thousands in the camp faced immediate expulsion.

Haitians have been freed on a “very, very large scale” in recent days, according to one U.S. official with direct knowledge of operations. The official, who was not authorized to discuss the matter and thus spoke on condition of anonymity, put the figure in the thousands.

Many have been released with notices to appear at an immigration office within 60 days, an outcome that requires less processing time from Border Patrol agents than ordering an appearance in immigration court and points to the speed at which authorities are moving, the official said.

The Homeland Security Department has been busing Haitians from Del Rio to El Paso, Laredo and Rio Grande Valley along the Texas border, and this week added flights to Tucson, Arizona, the official said. They are processed by the Border Patrol at those locations.

What is not mentioned, is Mexico's role in assisting the Haitians with the "5,000 mile trek" and in co-ordinating the timing. They didn't make it from Santiago to Del Rio on their own.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

What is not mentioned, is Mexico's role in assisting the Haitians with the "5,000 mile trek" and in co-ordinating the timing. They didn't make it from Santiago to Del Rio on their own.
It's called international cooperation.
With the power of synergy, you can make a 5,000 mile journey happen in the Blinken of an eye.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 pm

I read somewhere (can't find it now), that the Haitian groups were originally detained by the Mexican border patrol at their southern border which was something I think Trump pressured them into doing. Then Biden did something to piss off the Mexican president and he let them go so they could become our problem instead of theirs.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:48 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 pm

It's called international cooperation.
With the power of synergy, you can make a 5,000 mile journey happen in the Blinken of an eye.

Even more amazing is how a flotilla of refugees escaped out of Haiti on nothing but rafts built from the ruins of the August earthquake. Undoubtedly they crossed the gulf stream in the dead of night (as no one saw them) and then made it 400 miles inland through some of the most barren landscape in North America - to finally find solace in a small Texas border town. What incredible intestinal fortitude!

Or maybe they are all just part of the 2010 Earthquake refugees that have been living in South American refugee camps for years.

This is from the AP story, I linked to above:
Marcelo Ebrard, Mexico’s foreign relations secretary, said Tuesday he had spoken with his U.S. counterpart, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, about the Haitians’ situation. Ebrard said most of the Haitians already had refugee status in Chile or Brazil and weren’t seeking it in Mexico.
Last edited by Mark Leavy on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:04 pm

As I've said before about Biden, he might appear to be a real Doofus but he really does understand politics and how the game is played.

With Trump you had the kids in cages and AOC's trip to the border showing women being forced to drink out of toilets. He knew the optics of white border guards on horses whipping the Haitians could get quickly out of hand and used against him in the same way. And then you have Al Sharpton showing up at the border.

So he acted quickly to lay the blame on the border patrol. They were probably all hired by the Trump administration - would probably be wearing MAGA hats if allowed.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 pm

As of now (Friday afternoon) the entire Del Rio encampment has been cleared out. No more media circus.

15,000 released into US towns with NTA. No court date or enforcement mechanism. No screening for violent or criminal history. No screening for infectious diseases.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 pm

glennds wrote:

How embarrassing.

What a bumbling, transparent and cringe worthy attempt to caricature right wing troglodytes.

You forgot to add the guns and Jesus.
And the bacon.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:03 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 pm
What a bumbling, transparent and cringe worthy attempt to caricature right wing troglodytes.
The hard right makes it pretty easy to do that these days.

The MO is pretty good though. Lie repeatedly. When refuted, lie some more and dispute actual facts or refuse to except them. When crushed in refutation, throw out a new lie. Recycle MO repeatedly.

I think what the hard right doesn't understand is that everyone except the hard right has had enough. The game is ending, you can see it slowly happening. I think in the next 5 years the hard right will be as esteemed as the hard left was in the 80s.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:49 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 pm
glennds wrote:

How embarrassing.

You forgot to add the guns and Jesus.
And the bacon.
Yikes! Incoming Leavy drone strike.

I find your posts often interesting, sometimes informative, sometimes funny, sometimes curious. If the feeling is not mutual its easy to block me, here is the link:
ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes