Maher clips

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Maher clips

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:55 am

(Democrats as the white-people-suck Party is not a good strategy). “It’s kind of like trying to get laid by saying, ‘Hey, you’re ugly. Do you want to dance?’ “
https://youtu.be/SrOCUVJnyZE
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Maher clips

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Of course not. O0 I have heard AOC suggest she may leave politics out of frustration, but has she ever been self-effacing? Has she ever said, “I was misguided here and there, and I can do better?” Serious question - maybe the answer is yes. But, I haveen’t seen it.
Even when she was being criticized by other Democrats.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've been watching a bunch of Bill Maher clips recently and he's right on about so many things.

Maher considers himself to be a "traditional liberal". As such he connects with people like me who also fall into that category and think WTF about the current left wing of the party. Is there an equivalent voice to the right of center who is witty, well-spoken and not afraid to be critical of the right wing?

I did hear Maher say recently that he has more and more moderate Republicans come to see, and evidently enjoy, his live shows.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:22 pm

barrett wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:07 pm
Maher considers himself to be a "traditional liberal". As such he connects with people like me who also fall into that category and think WTF about the current left wing of the party. Is there an equivalent voice to the right of center who is witty, well-spoken and not afraid to be critical of the right wing?
Mitt Romney. J/K O0 That’s a great question.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:22 pm
barrett wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:07 pm
Mitt Romney. J/K O0 That’s a great question.
Apples to oranges. Maher is a comedian and Romney is a politician.

If you confine yourself to comedians then I'd say that every single one of them considered by some to be on the right is willing to make fun of the "right wing" if it gets laughs. Norm MacDonald comes to mind. Also Dennis Miller, Tim Allen. Always suspected that Johnny Carson was a bit to the left but he routinely made fun of them all. Dave Letterman - same thing. Also Jay Leno.

The current crop of comedians, especially the late night ones, aren't funny at all. They are all to the left but they have to worry about being cancelled by the mob.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:50 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:09 pm
It wasn’t a serious submission, hence the “J/K” for just kidding. But, I was thinking along similar lines as you: the realm of comedy skews left and I don’t even know any right of center ones, though I guess I had an inkling of some of the ones you mentioned. Rob Schneider maybe? He’s more of a comedic actor, I suppose.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:50 pm

pp4me wrote:

It wasn’t a serious submission, hence the “J/K” for just kidding. But, I was thinking along similar lines as you: the realm of comedy skews left and I don’t even know any right of center ones, though I guess I had an inkling of some of the ones you mentioned. Rob Schneider maybe? He’s more of a comedic actor, I suppose.

Playing my role here...

I had zero idea what "J/K" meant. The only thought that came to mind for me was "JFK"...but how did that fit?

Again...spelling it all out is far more understandable to most than assuming others know what acronyms or abbreviations or any other shortcuts mean.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
pp4me wrote:
Playing my role here...

I had zero idea what "J/K" meant. The only thought that came to mind for me was "JFK"...but how did that fit?

Again...spelling it all out is far more understandable to most than assuming others know what acronyms or abbreviations or any other shortcuts mean.
TMI 😉. Are TLAs OK?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 pm

vnatale wrote:

dualstow wrote:

pp4me wrote:

Playing my role here...

TMI 😉. Are TLAs OK?

Normally if someone writes something that requires effort on my part to follow...like click a link...or search for what some acronym means...I just do not do it. There is so much more easily accessible information available to me. It's just a matter of getting the most information in the least amount of time. So I glide over that which is inefficient.

But, in your case, I did do a search on "TLA" and came up with nothing. Just ended up reinforcing my policy of not trying to determine what someone means when the communicator is pushing to the listener / reader the burden of understanding the communicator's message.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:07 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
pp4me wrote:
Playing my role here...

TMI 😉. Are TLAs OK?
Normally if someone writes something that requires effort on my part to follow...like click a link...or search for what some acronym means...I just do not do it. There is so much more easily accessible information available to me. It's just a matter of getting the most information in the least amount of time. So I glide over that which is inefficient.

But, in your case, I did do a search on "TLA" and came up with nothing. Just ended up reinforcing my policy of not trying to determine what someone means when the communicator is pushing to the listener / reader the burden of understanding the communicator's message.
You need a better search engine. Three Letter Acronym. BTW, TLAs are way more efficient than spelling everything. But. Not. More. Effective. For. The. Unwashed. J/K. I think TLAs preceded emojis. 😱
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:14 pm

You need a better search engine. Three Letter Acronym. BTW, TLAs are way more efficient than spelling everything. But. Not. More. Effective. For. The. Unwashed. J/K. I think TLAs preceded emojis. 😱

Yes. More efficient for the communicator. But as you pointed out not necessarily effective in getting out the intended message to the recipients of the message.

This had been my search: https://www.bing.com/search?q=tla&form= ... 3bf19dcfe7

I now see it was explained in the fourth entry. But since on the first go round I just glanced at the first three entries which did not give me my answer...I told myself this is why my policy is to glide over acronyms that I do not know....unless, of course, I deem it essential that I do want to know what the communicator is trying to communicate. The above "J/K" did not meet the threshold of being essential to understand so I did my usual glide over it.

I give anyone here permission to call me on me using any acronym that is not understood by the person reading it.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:50 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Yes. More efficient for the communicator. But as you pointed out not necessarily effective in getting out the intended message to the recipients of the message.

This had been my search: https://www.bing.com/search?q=tla&form= ... 3bf19dcfe7

I now see it was explained in the fourth entry. But since on the first go round I just glanced at the first three entries which did not give me my answer...I told myself this is why my policy is to glide over acronyms that I do not know....unless, of course, I deem it essential that I do want to know what the communicator is trying to communicate. The above "J/K" did not meet the threshold of being essential to understand so I did my usual glide over it.

I give anyone here permission to call me on me using any acronym that is not understood by the person reading it.
Excellent! You have to dig deep for the real deal. Just like the deep mined coal of WV compared with the strip mined crap from the west. No offense to the stripper lovers.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:47 pm

j/k goes back a long time, like 90s. Geez, Vinny, while you were busy jarring your pee you missed a lot.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:47 pm

j/k goes back a long time, like 90s. Geez, Vinny, while you were busy jarring your pee you missed a lot.

Maybe in your circles. I've engaged in a ton of online communications since 1995 and I do not remember prior seeing it.

Anyone else here besides me who did not know what "j/k" meant....
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am
dualstow wrote:
Maybe in your circles. I've engaged in a ton of online communications since 1995 and I do not remember prior seeing it.

Yeah me. Don't remember ever seeing that one before but I've never been much for texting or using these kinds of abbreviations. I prefer to use actual words but I do use WTF a lot.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:36 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am

dualstow wrote:

Yeah me. Don't remember ever seeing that one before but I've never been much for texting or using these kinds of abbreviations. I prefer to use actual words but I do use WTF a lot.

Yes!