Anniversary?

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Anniversary?

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am

For the Americans here...

Without saying what it is....how many of you are aware of what today is the anniversary of? I've yet to hear it said anywhere or read it anywhere.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anniversary?

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:19 am

The death of CS Lewis?
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dockinGA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:30 am

Supposed death of JFK
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 am

dockinGA wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:30 am
Supposed death of JFK
Say what? Do you think he didn't actually die? I've heard all kinds of conspiracy theories about it but this is the first time I've heard that one.

I was a freshman in high school when it happened so I remember it quite well. Was actually watching live TV on Sunday when Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby. I've always thought that was the main thing that cast suspicion on the whole affair.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:33 pm

Reading it here is the first I've either heard or read of it anywhere.

Read this book several years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Days-Novemb ... oks&sr=1-1

Four Days in November: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy Illustrated Edition, Kindle Edition
by Vincent Bugliosi

Definitely settled all my questions. Do not believe in any of the conspiracy theories. If you do then you do need to read this book if you are a sincere truth seeker.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am
For the Americans here...

Without saying what it is....how many of you are aware of what today is the anniversary of? I've yet to hear it said anywhere or read it anywhere.
58 years. I remember exactly where I was when I heard.

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Bullet-Bob ... 6/ref=nodl
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dockinGA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:35 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 am
dockinGA wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:30 am
Supposed death of JFK
Say what? Do you think he didn't actually die? I've heard all kinds of conspiracy theories about it but this is the first time I've heard that one.

I was a freshman in high school when it happened so I remember it quite well. Was actually watching live TV on Sunday when Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby. I've always thought that was the main thing that cast suspicion on the whole affair.
:) I figured that would get a comment out of somebody. Just making sure everybody's conspiracy theory radar is working and that we're not believing things that are TOO far out of left field.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm
Were you on a grassy knoll?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Yes, Mountaineer, did you mean you heard the news or the shot?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:25 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Yes, Mountaineer, did you mean you heard the news or the shot?
Well, that is a great question. However, since I am definitely not a Dallas Cowboy fan but did see them play the Redskins (I must say Robert Lee (Bob) Hayes* was awesome, I had a sidelines pass given to me by my uncle* who played for the Redskins), only have been in the Dallas airport never the city, and never near the Book Depository, you will also have to eliminate my being on the grassy knoll. I did hear the shot as recorded on TV though. ;)

When I heard the news, I was walking down Stewart Street in Morgantown, West Virginia on the way to a class at WVU, perhaps Freshman chemistry. I don't remember exactly how I heard, probably was someone on their porch talking about it. As I recall, it was a rather nice day for late November.

* https://fordfuneralhomes.com/tribute/de ... tent-start
* I thought it was interesting that Bob Hayes and my uncle had the same first and middle names.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 am

Well, that is a great question. However, since I am definitely not a Dallas Cowboy fan but did see them play the Redskins (I must say Robert Lee (Bob) Hayes* was awesome, I had a sidelines pass given to me by my uncle* who played for the Redskins), only have been in the Dallas airport never the city, and never near the Book Depository, you will also have to eliminate my being on the grassy knoll. I did hear the shot as recorded on TV though. ;)

When I heard the news, I was walking down Stewart Street in Morgantown, West Virginia on the way to a class at WVU, perhaps Freshman chemistry. I don't remember exactly how I heard, probably was someone on their porch talking about it. As I recall, it was a rather nice day for late November.

58 years later it is still crystal clear how I heard the news.

I was in 7th grade. School got out at 2:30 PM. It was just at the end of the school day and as I was going one way on the stairs and Stephen Migheletti was going the opposite way on the stairs he informed me / us that the president had been shot.

I always state the following to counter the popular stories you always read in history.

My uncle was the president of a social club. The Friday before Thanksgiving they always had this event that was called "The Turkey Trot".

Since that assassination day was the same day as this Turkey Trot was scheduled...a decision had to made whether or not it was still going to go on. Evidently the decision was made to have it as my mother asked if I wanted to go to it with her. I said yes and went with her.

What I distinctly remember was the adults all around me having a grand old time. Acting like it was no different than any other day. I remember being somewhat sad being there due to our president having been killed and wondering how the adults all around me could be carrying on as usual like nothing had happened. It did not seem to be the proper behavior on their part.

I always remember that as being in total contrast to all you will read about the entire world being united in its grief. My direct experience countered what I've always read.

Two days later I did see live on TV Ruby shooting Oswald. A lot for a 12 year old to experience in the space of a few days. Then the next day, Monday, was the funeral. No school that day and all of us were glued to our TVs for all the coverage.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 am

I was in 7th grade. School got out at 2:30 PM. It was just at the end of the school day and as I was going one way on the stairs and Stephen Migheletti was going the opposite way on the stairs he informed me / us that the president had been shot.
I was in the 9th grade and I heard about it during English class which was being held in the school library. The announcement came on the loudspeaker and then we were all sent home on the school buses.

As I said above, I was watching live TV on Sunday morning along with my parents and saw Jack Ruby executing Oswald on live TV.

This followed on the heels of the Cuban Missile crisis during which we were storing food and supplies in the basement in anticipation of the nuclear holocaust of which we were even in more danger than we even knew based on the subsequent historical record.

My parents quit making me go to church shortly before the assassination but I remember going that weekend of my own free will for reasons not understood.

It was a time of national tragedy and trauma but then there were the race riots, more assassinations, and the escalating war in Vietnam.

These were the times that try men's souls as did 9/11 and now COVID but we got through it.

Because, what else can you do as an inhabitant of planet earth?