Putin Invades Ukraine II

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Putin Invades Ukraine II

Post by dualstow » Mon May 23, 2022 1:58 pm

Of course. They will try some Ukrainians.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 31, 2022 9:54 pm

'I watched from afar Russia’s latest merciless assault on Severodonetsk'
By Quentin Sommerville
BBC News, Lysychansk, Ukraine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61634050
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am

"Hero of Ukraine" - 15 yr-old boy with drone spots Russian convoy, Ukrainian military destroys it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... ving-kyiv/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:23 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am
"Hero of Ukraine" - 15 yr-old boy with drone spots Russian convoy, Ukrainian military destroys it.

Interesting. I wonder if this will trigger the power control (aka gun control) Biden and crew to add drones to the “terrible inanimate objects that are the scourge of civilization” list?

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:01 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:23 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am

Interesting. I wonder if this will trigger the power control (aka gun control) Biden and crew to add drones to the “terrible inanimate objects that are the scourge of civilization” list?

Craigr wrote something interesting about how someone could easily program a fleet of cheap drones to attack people all at once, with deadly consequences. That would have to happen first.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:23 am

Cases of desertion are growing among Ukrainian forces suffering significant losses in Russia's artillery onslaught, report says
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/ca ... ar-AAYlzFS
boo
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:22 pm

Putin has now made it crystal clear. His invasion of Ukraine was never about NATO expansion,
and always about Russian expansion.
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1535656144156299265
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:09 pm

I think I've arrived at the view the Biden crew is uniquely poor at anything having to do with military operations. I've no idea if the military guys are providing poor advice or getting cancelled out by the State Dept/civilian side of things. At this point for the US, you should be all in at least for weapons including those that could strike Russia to a degree and defend the air better...or you should have let Ukraine get steamrolled by the Russians. I sorta defended the Afghanistan pullout, but this situation I do not get.

A pretty good reversal of this situation was the Vietnam war...and Russia/China had no problems providing the Vietnamese with everything they wanted in terms of conventional arms...for the time, they provided the best fighters, SAMs and tanks/artillery available to their forces to the Vietnamese.

A slow bleed out of Ukraine with an eventual loss is beyond bad at this point on multiple levels.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Trains are the Russian military’s go-to method for moving troops and heavy weapons. In Ukraine’s industrialized Donbas region, dense rail networks have played to Moscow’s advantage.

Russia’s military depends so heavily on trains that it maintains an elite Railroad Force, a service branch once common in countries through World War II. The unit has camouflage-painted armored train cars equipped with antiaircraft cannons and artillery to guard supply trains, and its troops are trained to repair bombed tracks while under enemy fire. Russia’s Defense Ministry said it has restored 750 miles of track in the land corridor it now controls in Ukraine’s southeast.
(paywalled) https://on.wsj.com/3xLQRCh
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:58 pm

“I informed President Zelenskiy that the United States is providing another $1 billion in security assistance for Ukraine, including additional artillery and coastal defense weapons, as well as ammunition for the artillery and advanced rocket systems that the Ukrainians need to support their defensive operations in the Donbas,” Biden said in a statement Wednesday.

The weapons package includes for the first time launchers for vehicle-mounted Harpoon anti-ship missiles, according to people familiar with the matter. Denmark has said it will supply the missiles. The US package also includes $320 million for secure radios and related equipment, $55 million for thermal night-vision optics and $160 million for training, according to one of the people.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... or-ukraine
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:50 pm

Sounds good…context, the US was going through a billion a day in Iraq and things are way more intense in Ukraine.

Humans learn fast or die in wars….Russia has learned and is playing to their strengths now. As I’ve mentioned there is a simple tell…watch the map. Right now the map says Russia is slowly grinding away Ukraine and its armed forces. We have got to give Ukraine an equalizer to Russian artillery batteries.

War 101…just do not do it unless you are seriously in to win.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:44 am

Putin is willing to throw endless Russian lives at this, not to mention all the Ukrainian ones.
All these lives uprooted or snuffed out so he can slightly expand the empire.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

1654465187178.png
1654465187178.png (247.06 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:14 am

More of an update on old news but
Farmers say that without proper storage their grains and seeds will go to waste at the same time Russia’s invasion of Ukraine threatens exports from both countries, sending global prices higher.

Ukraine says the European Union has offered to store its grain, and the U.S. has offered to build silos on the Polish border. The United Nations is negotiating with Russia and Kyiv to open up Black Sea routes again. None of these plans offer short-term answers for farmers looking for storage space in the next few months.
It’s not enough to mess things up for Ukrainians and Russians. He’s got to hinder the world’s breadbasket.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:00 pm

This one isn't even hard...naval convoy.

Is there risk, yes. Do I think the Russians would blink, also yes.

If I'm wrong and the headlines are correct about the third world starving...well maybe we shouldn't let the world go hungry and throw some punches back if a convoy was attacked.

The optics here are horrendously bad for Russia...and while I doubt they care one iota about people starving, they do care about losing what little support they have internationally.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:07 am

Here's a very good article on the Ron Paul Institute website explaining all the things the US got wrong about Ukraine:

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/fe ... t-ukraine/

We're being led by a bunch of fools, but it's been that way going back many administrations. I checked the ruble to dollar exchange rate yesterday. It's up about 50% from before the Ukraine invasion started. So much for Biden's promise that his sanctions would crater their economy. If his misinformation board had survived, hopefully they would have flagged that statement of his as misinformation.

My sympathies are with Russia on this one. Putin is a strong leader who puts his country first and doesn't care what the globalists say. I had a taxi ride the other day with a Russian speaking Armenian. I asked him what he thought about the Ukraine thing. He told me not to believe anything that the US media says about it (I didn't need to be told that, but he couldn't have known that). He said that Putin is widely popular in Russia because he protected Russia and helped the people, including putting checks on the oligarchs, when the country was being taken over and raped by foreign interests after the Soviet Union fell. If only we had such a strong leader we wouldn't be the laughingstock of the world like we are today. Our oligarchs have our politicians under their control. Trump said he would be a strong leader, but of course he failed miserably in most respects, although there were a few bright spots in what he did.

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and Canada or Mexico were threatening to become strong allies of our worst enemy, our military wouldn't bat an eyelash about going in and destroying the place. But if we did that the civilian carnage would be probably ten times worse than what Putin has done to Ukraine. We would have just carpet bombed Toronto and Montreal (shock and awe, you know), rather than surrounding the cities like Putin did and letting them slowly fall without a huge amount of civilian casualties.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:44 am

> Putin is a strong leader who puts his country first

Uh oh. As part of the incoming fusillade, ill chip in that term limits are needed for any politician. Benevolent dictatorship is impossible, even Lee Kuan Yew gifted inordinate power to his son. Everyone puts family ahead of plebs.
Attachments
Azov-its-complicated.jpg
Azov-its-complicated.jpg (133.76 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 am

You met a cab driver with an opinion. I don’t know if I or anyone else could possibly top that.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:43 pm

Peace is never an option, it seems. NATO had to keep existing and expanding, because (it's always something).
It's pretty obvious Putin thought Ukraine would be easy. I think that was the overriding factor, but the NATO/EU expansion factor surely weighed heavily in the decision to invade.

US and by extension NATO are the 900 lb gorilla in the world today. People don't like 900 lb gorillas. They cope with them as best they can. Russia chose unwisely, by our standards. Maybe it works out for them in the end, though.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:35 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:43 pm

It's pretty obvious Putin thought Ukraine would be easy. I think that was the overriding factor, but the NATO/EU expansion factor surely weighed heavily in the decision to invade.
Have you seen Putin’s own speeches about how he’s Peter the Great?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:35 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

I saw something about that. Again with the media the way it is, I didn't give it a whole lot of weight. I mean, it's probably true. Maybe.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:24 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:07 am
Here's a very good article on the Ron Paul Institute website explaining all the things the US got wrong about Ukraine:

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/fe ... t-ukraine/

We're being led by a bunch of fools, but it's been that way going back many administrations. I checked the ruble to dollar exchange rate yesterday. It's up about 50% from before the Ukraine invasion started. So much for Biden's promise that his sanctions would crater their economy. If his misinformation board had survived, hopefully they would have flagged that statement of his as misinformation.

My sympathies are with Russia on this one. Putin is a strong leader who puts his country first and doesn't care what the globalists say. I had a taxi ride the other day with a Russian speaking Armenian. I asked him what he thought about the Ukraine thing. He told me not to believe anything that the US media says about it (I didn't need to be told that, but he couldn't have known that). He said that Putin is widely popular in Russia because he protected Russia and helped the people, including putting checks on the oligarchs, when the country was being taken over and raped by foreign interests after the Soviet Union fell. If only we had such a strong leader we wouldn't be the laughingstock of the world like we are today. Our oligarchs have our politicians under their control. Trump said he would be a strong leader, but of course he failed miserably in most respects, although there were a few bright spots in what he did.

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and Canada or Mexico were threatening to become strong allies of our worst enemy, our military wouldn't bat an eyelash about going in and destroying the place. But if we did that the civilian carnage would be probably ten times worse than what Putin has done to Ukraine. We would have just carpet bombed Toronto and Montreal (shock and awe, you know), rather than surrounding the cities like Putin did and letting them slowly fall without a huge amount of civilian casualties.
You should move then, good for us, good for you. You seem to share a lot of the same views as Fuller.

As for the man himself...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_E._Fuller

Love the Canada/Mexico analogy...wonder why neither of their militaries guard their boarder with the US? That's probably a more relevant question than your hypothetical scenario.

I've been involved in a lot of bombings over the years...in fact I played a not insignificant role in shock and awe. How about a small factually based truth check (assuming you can handle the truth...great line Jack and Tom). Find 50 pictures of Baghdad...the absolute worst you can find that aren't all of the same thing and I'll pick my 50 from Ukraine and/or Chechnya and let's compare notes. Bombs blow things up, cause devastation and kill people (cuz you know, that's what they're supposed to do). But unlike the Russians, the US military fires 99.9% of its shots at military targets and we actually aim which is super helpful in minimizing innocents being killed.

Now if you are looking to put up a good anti-American counter argument to my challenge, I'd bring up World War 2. Bring up the bombing of German and Japanese cities and the use of Atomic bombs on Japan. Throw in some white racism specifically with regards to how the US bombed Japan. At least you would have a decent argument (though not a great one when one places the actions in the period they happened).

And yes, we need a strong leader...like Putin. He's a democratic leader to be emulated.

P.S. Read some Russian history. I'd suggest starting with Catherine or Peter the Great and walking it all the way forward to today. If you like strong leaders you'll find Putin's got nothing on Peter the Great or Stalin. He's a wannabe great Russian leader at best. Now here's something crazy as you read all of that history ask yourself why ARE the Russians and Ukrainians actually fighting? NATO encroachment, really?

Speaking of evil, can we count "evilness" by the number of innocent dead caused/killed by a leader and/or country? If we can, do the math since 1776 between the US and Russia.

P.S.S. You're going to need a calculator that handles very large numbers for the latter.

I love to try and summarize and here's my summary: If we were anything like Russia we would have several more existing states (beyond Mexican California) with boarders probably going from the Arctic to the Panama Canal...and yet we don't.
Last edited by Kbg on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm
dualstow wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

I saw something about that. Again with the media the way it is, I didn't give it a whole lot of weight. I mean, it's probably true. Maybe.
I think this one is easy...what was he using to the Russian people to justify the invasion? Ukraine was filled with Nazi's and "real Russians" were being persecuted. "NATO encroachment" may have been the strategic reason....but why did he care about that? Peel it back folks. Also do the Munger question invert...why did the vast majority of eastern and central European countries WANT to join NATO. (Hint: Communist Russian rule sucked...zero interest in a do over.)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:38 pm

Where the Shelling Never Stops: Near the ‘Zero Line’ With Ukrainian Soldiers Trying to Maintain in Donbas

Inside life in a bunker with Ukrainian Ph.D. students-turned-fighters as they attempt to hold on against overwhelming firepower and devastating Russian bombardment

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 2-1368541/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:21 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm
dualstow wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

I don’t understand. I mentioned his own speeches precisely because it’s not the media. “The media the way it is” — it would take a quite a conspiracy, quite a lot of networks to collude with regard to translation. Maybe you meant something else. I suppose there could be an Ahmedinejad “wipe off the map” problem until it’s corrected.