Executive Member

My Lai

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:15 pm

🚧 forked from Ukraine war thread 🚧 /DS

Kbg wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:42 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:46 pm

Who's a war criminal depends on who wins. Or on who's doing the judging.

I wouldn't argue your point, there's some definite truth to it.

However, that doesn't mean it still isn't a good idea and legal process to hold people and countries accountable. It definitely shapes how war is conducted and is a moderating influence on an elsewise very unmoderated human activity. It is likely Putin will never be held accountable for his decision to invade Ukraine with zero legal cover. While people like to throw out Afghanistan and Iraq as "whatabouts" the facts are that both had internationally recognized sanction to do so.

While it is likely Putin will never be held accountable at the Hague, I doubt he's ever leaving Russia again in his lifetime if he is criminally charged.

Unfortunately there's quite a bit of nuance in what is and isn't considered lawful that would be good if it was more broadly known in the general public. News sources rarely if ever get or understand what is and is not an actual war crime.

To comment on the current situation a bit

- Invading Ukraine as it was...war crime

- Bucha...war crimes

Anyone held accountable? We'll see. It highly likely does depend on Russia not only losing the war but losing it to the point they would turn over their soldiers.

Orangeman bad really did us no favors when even US judicial venues found some of our guys guilty and he pardoned them. I was pretty outraged.

How would you rate how our country eventually handled My Lai?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: My Lai

Post by Kbg » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:59 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:15 pm
In a word, awful.

Small side story that is not well known...Hugh Thompson

The My Lai massacre reportedly ended only after Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson, an Army helicopter pilot on a reconnaissance mission, landed his aircraft between the soldiers and the retreating villagers and threatened to open fire if they continued their attacks.

Calley, the worst of American fighting men. Thompson, the best of American fighting men.

Calley was paroled after three years of a life sentence. Thompson received death threats for several years afterward.

People are people...I read the other day that in one Ukrainian village a Russian solider had spray painted on the side of a house: We did not want to be here. We are very sorry. Please forgive us.

I'm an old school law and order conservative. I don't care if you are Antifa or a Proud Boy storming the capitol.

As Toby Keith so eloquently sang with Willy Nelson...Round up all of them bad boys, hang em high on the street. ;-)
Last edited by Kbg on Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: My Lai

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:50 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:59 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:15 pm

In a word, awful.

Small side story that is not well known...Hugh Thompson

The My Lai massacre reportedly ended only after Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson, an Army helicopter pilot on a reconnaissance mission, landed his aircraft between the soldiers and the retreating villagers and threatened to open fire if they continued their attacks.

Calley, the worst of American fighting men. Thompson, the best of American fighting men.

Calley was paroled after three years of a life sentence. Thompson received death threats for several years afterward.

People are people...I read the other day that in one Ukrainian village a Russian solider had spray painted on the side of a house: We did not want to be here. We are very sorry. Please forgive us.

I'm an old school law and order conservative. I don't care if you are Antifa or a Proud Boy storming the capitol.

As Toby Keith so eloquently sang with Willy Nelson...Round up all of them bad boys, hang em high on the street. ;-)

Aware of Thompson. Read at least one book on My Lai if not more than one. Plus seem to remember seeing a movie or documentary on it?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."